Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Fox News consistently has the highest rated news programs in the country. I'll stop posting and commenting on fox news threads when they cease to become a relevant part of political discourse.
    They are really only rated that high because they are the only right leaning network. If there was one left leaning network, I guarantee it would be the highest rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    They are really only rated that high because they are the only right leaning network. If there was one left leaning network, I guarantee it would be the highest rated.
    Fox feeds into paranoia and self confirmation in a pretty unique way.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I'm certainly not arguing that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Actually, there are times that I find it equatable to the Salem witch trials. Taking normal occurrences happening around them and deviously twisting them into claims of heinous and evil acts to devastate others for their own personal ends. The cult of paranoia that they instill about all other news media besides Fox is definitely comparable.

I'm saying that's why they are so successful. They make their audience intellectually dependent by pushing a narrative of being the only valid source of information.

Hey guys check out this hilarious and impossibly offensive quote from Rush Limbaugh:

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Limbaugh
    Single women are insecure, and that's why they vote Democrat. It could be that in order to save this country, men are going to have to start marrying these women.
    I lol'd so hard at the absurdity of that one. I've been waiting to dump that somewhere for almost a week. I miss the Republican Megathread

Anyway, on-topic, I do feel like Fox News is the counterbalance to a lot of other, more liberal news sources. I don't think they should put the dude out there as apologizing, even if he did. If he wants to apologize publicly, he will, there's no need to force the issue when you can't even back it up anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its FOX News. Its not like they've ever had any credibility to begin with. They are infotainment, at best.

Though my personal favorite was when they tried to ask their boss about the phone hacking scandal. So very brave of them.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-11-28 at 02:44 AM.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Hey guys check out this hilarious and impossibly offensive quote from Rush Limbaugh:

I lol'd so hard at the absurdity of that one. I've been waiting to dump that somewhere for almost a week. I miss the Republican Megathread

Anyway, on-topic, I do feel like Fox News is the counterbalance to a lot of other, more liberal news sources. I don't think they should put the dude out there as apologizing, even if he did. If he wants to apologize publicly, he will, there's no need to force the issue when you can't even back it up anyway.
    Honestly, he's gone so over the top that he's passed the no care threshold. He's so extreme that his radicalism is no longer a remarkable concept; if anything I expect things from him.

The problem that I have with Fox News is that it very, very purposefully polarizes the political system. It has taken active steps into dividing the country between liberal and conservative, and has employed labeling every other news organization as a "liberal conspiracy" to do so. I understand the need for a conservative media, if there is also a democratic-focused media out there. But the subjective need for such does by no means vindicate the actions they were taken.

Also, I miss it too... I have a small problem with OCD, and for about a week I couldn't really post at all because the difference in the front page was alarming enough that I couldn't keep up with threads. But I'm also a bit crazy so

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Honestly, he's gone so over the top that he's passed the no care threshold. He's so extreme that his radicalism is no longer a remarkable concept; if anything I expect things from him.
    I tune in nowadays for the lols, just to hear whatever outrageous thing he's going to say next.

Also, I miss it too... I have a small problem with OCD, and for about a week I couldn't really post at all because the difference in the front page was alarming enough that I couldn't keep up with threads. But I'm also a bit crazy so
    Yeah it was startling just having the rules stickied after the election. Seemed like the forum was naked.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem that I have with Fox News is that it very, very purposefully polarizes the political system. It has taken active steps into dividing the country between liberal and conservative, and has employed labeling every other news organization as a "liberal conspiracy" to do so. I understand the need for a conservative media, if there is also a democratic-focused media out there. But the subjective need for such does by no means vindicate the actions they were taken.
    True, but I think that glosses over what FOX News actually is. They are less news and more entertainment, aimed at a very specific target market. They are less about enlightening and more about reinforcing their target market's preexisting prejudices and assumptions. I find it particularly telling that so often when you hear conservatives bring up their woes regarding the liberally biased media. They never seem to mention FOX News. Its like even they don't consider FOX a real news "outlet" and justifiably so.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Man. Just imagine how bad the country would be if anyone watched MSNBC as much as Fox. You think people are polarized and stupid now?

God help all of us who arent partisan douchebags

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    True, but I think that glosses over what FOX News actually is. They are less news and more entertainment, aimed at a very specific target market. They are less about enlightening and more about reinforcing their target market's preexisting prejudices and assumptions. I find it particularly telling that so often when you hear conservatives bring up their woes regarding the liberally biased media. They never seem to mention FOX News. Its like even they don't consider FOX a real news "outlet" and justifiably so.
    There are some portions of it that I would consider news. In fact, I think that their breaking news coverage can be pretty decent. However, like every other news network, it has the shows that aren't really news and are talking heads with their opinions.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I rarely ever see people making a distinction between news and opinion shows like Bill O'Reilly, Keith Olbermann, etc. That isn't to say that their news portions don't also have that slant, but it just does appear to be to the degree that everyone thinks it is. At least, in my opinion. I can stand to watch the news portions of either liberal or conservative channels, but I can't stand the opinion pieces or the round tables. Those just annoy the crap out of me.

There are some portions of it that I would consider news. In fact, I think that their breaking news coverage can be pretty decent. However, like every other news network, it has the shows that aren't really news and are talking heads with their opinions.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I rarely ever see people making a distinction between news and opinion shows like Bill O'Reilly, Keith Olbermann, etc. That isn't to say that their news portions don't also have that slant, but it just does appear to be to the degree that everyone thinks it is. At least, in my opinion. I can stand to watch the news portions of either liberal or conservative channels, but I can't stand the opinion pieces or the round tables. Those just annoy the crap out of me.
    CNN is the only "news" station in the mainstream media, but its filtered through the establishment so it's biased as well

Their news still gets into some pretty pants on head antics. I mean Megyn Kelly's show is barely any better than their prime time stuff. She just phrases all her rhetoric in the form of a question. Lots of stuff like them filming Occupy demonstrations with a shitty hand camera so it looks chaotic when every other outlet has a proper camera for the same event too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I tune in nowadays for the lols, just to hear whatever outrageous thing he's going to say next.

Yeah it was startling just having the rules stickied after the election. Seemed like the forum was naked.
    Yup. I had the same issue. R.I.P. Republican Megathread.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Dacien, I take it we're not getting that general politics sticky I asked about?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Fox News consistently has the highest rated news programs in the country. I'll stop posting and commenting on fox news threads when they cease to become a relevant part of political discourse.
    Please do. For those of us outside America looking in, all these little Fox News clips, arguments and back and forth are friggin' awesome. Best comedy I get all week sometimes.

I'll generalise to be safe, but let's just say large swaths of certain countries that believe in the crap certain networks spout so much that they've kind of developed these physical bubbles of ignorance made up of stupidity made manifest. All the rest of the world can do is sit back, laugh and hope they don't do any real damage... And that the moderates can keep them under their thumb.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure exactly where the GOP is going with Benghazi. Its an absolutely idiotic ploy that they're trying, that will ultimately not go anywhere.
    Susan Rice is one of the names floating around for Secretary of State in Obama's second term. GOP would rather John Kerry be the next Sec. of State, since he would leave his Senate seat and they could put forward Scott Brown again for the Senate in MA. My thoughts, anyway.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    Please do. For those of us outside America looking in, all these little Fox News clips, arguments and back and forth are friggin' awesome. Best comedy I get all week sometimes.

I'll generalise to be safe, but let's just say large swaths of certain countries that believe in the crap certain networks spout so much that they've kind of developed these physical bubbles of ignorance made up of stupidity made manifest. All the rest of the world can do is sit back, laugh and hope they don't do any real damage... And that the moderates can keep them under their thumb.
    thats a pretty accurate assessment. but here we cant just "hope".