Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I am in favour of the chane and wish it had started out this way.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am in two minds over this "nerf".

On the one hand I agree that both mining and herbing nodes were too abundant.

On the other hand, on a personal level, I am disheartened that I will have to farm a lot more in supplying my guild with flasks. There are already enough activities in-game that consume my time. I don't relish having to sacrifice one thing so that I can herb for longer. I am already on a highly populated EU server so imagine that my search for nodes may prove fruitless on many ocassions. A 50% reduction was too much IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazlehoff View Post
    Welp, Im done herbing. some other poor shmuck can supply my guilds herbs. *shrug* im not devoting 30 hours of gameplay a week to flying around collecting little nodes because someone at BlizFail has there panties in a twist.

Spawn rate is now too low to be feasable. you can NOT herb enough to supply a guild with flasks.
    30 hours a week?! For reals?
    Are you personally supplying a 25 main raid who raids for 8 hours a week? If so, I hope they are compensating you for the many thousands of gold you are handing them regularly.

Crafting 200 flasks a week (which should actually be a lot less if you are elixir spec) at 4 herbs a flask would only be 40 stacks of herbs and a bunch of lotuses. I hope it isn't taking you nearly an hour per herb stack. I can get a stack in about 2-3 minutes on my server, even after the reduction.

The change is good, IMO. Before, I wouldn't even stop to pick herbs as I flew around, as it literally wasn't worth my time. Herbs are actually worth something again.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

Who cares if the resources are undervalued because they are too plentiful? It's worth what it's worth: you get it easy, it sells cheap. It all still sells! It was actually refreshing to be able to have all I wanted and not worry about fighting with bots. All I see is that now I get half the herbs/ore, if not less due to competition, for the same amount of time invested. Talk about disrespecting a player's limited time. Timesink is truly the name of the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shoooter View Post
    Who cares if the resources are undervalued because they are too plentiful? It's worth what it's worth: you get it easy, it sells cheap. It all still sells! It was actually refreshing to be able to have all I wanted and not worry about fighting with bots. All I see is that now I get half the herbs/ore, if not less due to competition, for the same amount of time invested. Talk about disrespecting a player's limited time. Timesink is truly the name of the game.
    The people who have gatherers as their professions and spend time farming. Perhaps you would like free gold as well...

Quote Originally Posted by shoooter View Post
    You don't get the concept of supply and demand do you? Yes, you spend more time getting herbs but you can charge more for the herbs or the product because it requires more time and effort. The market was flooded with product to keep prices from skyrocketing right from the start, for mats and finished products, and staying high. Now the 'artificial flooding' has been corrected to what it was intended to be.

Saying that blizzard is disrespecting your limited time is hyperbole. Its not Blizzards fault you have limited time, thats on you. Blizzard has to make a game with a social economic blueprint that is good for everyone who plays the game, not just those of us with limited time who get their panties in a wod just because its a disadvantageous to us personally.

I also don't get people who stomp around complaining that theres some kind of vaguely hidden conspiracy that Blizzard is using timesinks to continue squeezing the sheep for their cash without them noticing. Increasing spawn point repops is not to make you spend more time paying to play, its to fix the economy which was flooded so the price gouging would normalise faster.

Will you be spending more time gaining resources than just 12 minutes a week? Yes, boo hoo. Now you can and will charge more. You can choose to make less on more because resources are plentiful or you can choose to make more on less because resources are less plentiful. Personally I prefer to make more money selling less things than vice versa.

In the end this will all even out and you will get use to the new normal or you will continue to believe in some hidden conspiracy that Blizzard is out to get you because you limited time to play the game and you became irritated that effort=reward rather than minimal effort=rewards.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do get the concept of supply and demand. High supply kept prices reasonable. I do not sell much, most of my gathering is for my own or guild use, which will now take much longer. Not a good trade off, in my opinion, as there were already enough time sinks in game.

Deleted
    The supply this time was unprecedented. People just wnat it too easy these days. Having too much supply also affects other porfessions as well and not always for the better. WOW is one big time sink. Someimes doing the excoting bits or getting the achievements is a whole lot more staisfting if you had to put effort into getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Will you be spending more time gaining resources than just 12 minutes a week? Yes, boo hoo. Now you can and will charge more. You can choose to make less on more because resources are plentiful or you can choose to make more on less because resources are less plentiful. Personally I prefer to make more money selling less things than vice versa.
    With all due respect to anyone defending a similar view, the issue is the state will go back to previous expansions where so many people felt encouraged to bot. When the resources are too scarce, a smaller scale farmer that goes out and doesn't find much over his first 10-15 mins will generally just give up and try to find other ways around to get gold. This leaves the market to very few large scale legit farmers and a handful of boters.

It will also significantly hurt smaller markets again. I'm on a med pop server on the super shitty afwul faction of it. Through the end of cata, I litterally had to move 500 stacks of ore from horde to alliance every week just to help "keep the market afloat". As sad as it will sound, 500 stacks of ore was enough for me to own about 60-70% of the red/meta gem market share to give you an idea of how low pop and shit economy we had. Sure it's fun and all I made lots of gold but it was extremely more consuming and looking at how the patch changes affected our specific market, it will very likely become the only option again.

I'm not even farming myself. I just buy mats but even though I will be able to resell the transformed goods higher for the same net profit margin, this change is going to make my life hell again. I'm sure most big market players on any smaller server/faction would tell you the same. Too little spawn rate means completely fucked up offer on primary mats.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deau View Post
    With all due respect to anyone defending a similar view, the issue is the state will go back to previous expansions where so many people felt encouraged to bot. When the resources are too scarce, a smaller scale farmer that goes out and doesn't find much over his first 10-15 mins will generally just give up and try to find other ways around to get gold. This leaves the market to very few large scale legit farmers and a handful of boters.

It will also significantly hurt smaller markets again. I'm on a med pop server on the super shitty afwul faction of it. Through the end of cata, I litterally had to move 500 stacks of ore from horde to alliance every week just to help "keep the market afloat". As sad as it will sound, 500 stacks of ore was enough for me to own about 60-70% of the red/meta gem market share to give you an idea of how low pop and shit economy we had. Sure it's fun and all I made lots of gold but it was extremely more consuming and looking at how the patch changes affected our specific market, it will very likely become the only option again.

I'm not even farming myself. I just buy mats but even though I will be able to resell the transformed goods higher for the same net profit margin, this change is going to make my life hell again. I'm sure most big market players on any smaller server/faction would tell you the same. Too little spawn rate means completely fucked up offer on primary mats.
    Make your life hell? get over yourself dude its a game. All thats happened is less herbs are available, which means the price will rise. They were so ridiculously abundant that their value had fallen to rockbottom. Gatherers need to be given a chance to make money as well. Never felt the need to bot either npr has anyone in my uild becayse that's just an admission you cna't hack the game and prefer to cheat other players. Farming herbs is still easy enough. The bottom will fall out of the herb market as the DMF dies down, so they could also have made flasks require more herbs, but this is a start.

Deleted
    There has been an assumption made that a 50% reduction in node spawn rates equates to a 50% reduction in resource availability. This is not true. The current spawn rate has lead to a reduction in availability of resources of some 90% or more. Anyone who has attempted to gather some herbs, for example, will have seen this.

It would be useful if someone with a better mathematical brain than mine (or, at least, someone who is more awake than me) could address this and set out a proof of the above and bring it to Blizz's attention.

I agree that node spawn rates were too high and that this damaged the internal market and made some profession tasks trivial, but the current situation makes those tasks unachievable in a reasonable timescale.

i'll be the 1st to admit it was out of control before as an herb/ scribe i would farm for 1 to 2 hours in the briny muck a week with my gloves off Korda i was getting about 30-40 stacks an hour of fools cap ... lol i just spent 40 mins there without running into other herbers and i got 23 NOT stacks 23 fools cap 23 herbs in 40 mins.

i didnt go to MIT as you can probably tell from my punctuation and grammer but i dont need to be a math wizzard to figure out this cant be what they intended, went to my fav green tea leaf spot and filled my bags in no time at all so the nerf isnt across the board fool's cap for some reason seems to have gotten hit alot harder

and as for the golden lotus yes i got one from green tea leaf although i didnt get the buff weird

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by delphian23 View Post
    i'll be the 1st to admit it was out of control before as an herb/ scribe i would farm for 1 to 2 hours in the briny muck a week with my gloves off Korda i was getting about 30-40 stacks an hour of fools cap ... lol i just spent 40 mins there without running into other herbers and i got 23 NOT stacks 23 fools cap 23 herbs in 40 mins.

i didnt go to MIT as you can probably tell from my punctuation and grammer but i dont need to be a math wizzard to figure out this cant be what they intended, went to my fav green tea leaf spot and filled my bags in no time at all so the nerf isnt across the board fool's cap for some reason seems to have gotten hit alot harder

and as for the golden lotus yes i got one from green tea leaf although i didnt get the buff weird
    Not just herbing, mining was the same...and to be fair I didn't have any trouble with how the herbing was.

Quote Originally Posted by delphian23 View Post
    There are still Golden Lotus nodes. They give you the buff.
    Lotus that you get as bonuses on other nodes don't give the buff.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

Deleted
    This nerf is an insanity , took me 2h30 to gather 2 stacks of Fool's cap with no other herbalist farming in the map. Just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Impending View Post
    This nerf is an insanity , took me 2h30 to gather 2 stacks of Fool's cap with no other herbalist farming in the map. Just wow.
    Do you farm Fool's cap just for misty pigments for starlight ink, or for something else? In 8 hours I gathered 110 starlight inks by gathering everything and using the ink-trader (and I watched half a season of "The Good Wife" on iTunes). But I just wanted to make darkmoon cards, so if you need fools cap in particular, then that wouldn't help you much.

I pulled up 100 in 30 mins while waiting for 2 ques for lfr to fill. I use to pull up 200. You just have to make a wider circle and pull up some other plants on the way, and if you are doing it for inscription its not a bad ideal to add other plants to the mix, even though the ink rate is less you still get ink for the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Impending View Post
    There were other herbalists in the area if it took you that long to get 2 stacks. Or you're just herbing in the wrong area for Fool's Cap.

Deleted
    I'm so happy we have enough bots to cover all needs on my server. I don't bother with farming any more since the patch hit.

Class View of Low Fool's Cap Spawn Rate

I am in agreement that the fool's cap spawn rates were excessive and that some adjustment is appropriate.

My concern is the balance of herbs as concerns the production of flasks/potions with class specific primary stat buffs.

EXAMPLE:

Fool's Cap + Green Tea Leaf = Potion of Mogu Power = +4,000 Strength for 25 Seconds
    Silkweed + Green Tea Leaf = Potion of the Jade Serpent = +4,000 Intellect for 25 Seconds

My Retribution Paladin uses Potion of Mogu Power
    My Frost Mage uses the Potion of the Jade Serpent

It is now far more time consuming or costly to produce, what amounts to the exact same buff, for my Paladin than for my Mage.

In Cata, the balance seemed reasonable as flasks/potions used by specific classes were about equally difficult/costly to obtain.

So, from my perspective, the nerf of fool's cap hurt my Pally far worse than my Mage.

Whatever the spawn rates are, I would like to see balance between the class specific herbs. The spawn rates don't need to be identical, but IMHO, they should be a lot closer than what I have observed.

It doesn't seem appropriate that my Pally has to farm 10 times longer, pay 3 times more, or compete at a disadvantage against classes whose primary stat herbs are much more obtainable. I expect very soon I will not be able to get fool's cap on my server at any price as I don't think there will be enough to go around. First, I will not be farming it, second, I will be buying it. I expect this will be true for a lot of herbalist/alchemists and could have double-whammy impact on supply.