Poll: Which would you live without?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Running water for me. I live near a bay so water shouldn't be an issue. Just dive in for a quick shower.

Deleted
    All Combustible Gases + Fossil Fuels, that is for sure.

Wouldn't want to be without running water or electricity.

Fossil fuels. I get my electricity from a nuke, and I bike to work anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Fossil fuels. I get my electricity from a nuke, and I bike to work anyway.
    I got trains and buses, no need for cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I got trains and buses, no need for cars.
    Only problem would be if we looked at indirect uses as well, like plastic, etc. Then shit would get really complicated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Running water, cause we can use our well
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I'm pretty sure there are electric-run trains that will take me where I want to go. I'd miss air travel, however.

I would go with #1.

Reasoning, in my country trains even freight ones use electricity and the railways are quite extensive so the only issue would be to get the goods from the rail station to the shops. About plastics, ever heard about PLA? For the rest we have wood, metals and other materials.

With out fossil fuel you woulden have heating or electricity... so i would go for running water..

While I voted number 1, I don't think it to be viable to still be living in a typical house.

You see, your water pipes will freeze without that heater, and then you will no longer have a livable house. But it's not that big of a deal, even though it cuts running water out of the picture eventually.

Deleted
    Well I live relatively close to some farms. So I guess, theoretically I could acquire food without using fossil fuels. Either way I think I'm gona vote fossil fuels.

Deleted
    i'd go without running water. Can buy water bottles at the store and just go to the lake not far from here. Going to the toilet may be problematic tho, but i'll solve that somehow. Probably.

Also, without fossil fuels the pipes in your house would freeze from not being heated up, and thus rendering running water unavailable anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're making the rules absolute from the first posts, all of the options would be worthless without one of the others.

You're not going to be able to start a car without an electric source, and I don't see many crank start engines anymore. Plus, everything needs water.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I would choose Option #1. I could just ride a bike around or walk, and in the wintertime I could just bundle up and buy a couple electric heaters that plug into an outlet as my furnace and fireplace would be rendered useless. I would also have no hot water as my water heater is also powered by gas, but that’s not too big of a deal, because I could boil water on the stove and clean dishes in the sink. I would also eventually get used to cold showers.
    Where's your electricity come from, though? In theory, it might come from nuclear or hydroelectric or a windfarm, but most of it comes from coal and natural gas. Petroleum is used for a ton of other stuff too. I'm sure it's possible to make a bicycle without it, but unlikely that yours was. Most of the stuff in your cupboards and medicine cabinet and toiletry was from an oil well. Your food was fertilized with fossil fuel. Everything gets places by diesel engine.

I'd choose the same thing, but I think you underestimate what living without petroleum and natural gas would actually entail.

Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    Running water. I'd would live off of Poweradeor just buy bottled water.
    I think lack of showers is what the biggest deterrent is for me choosing that option.

10+ Year Old Account
    lmao... who choose gas... Have fun freezing to death.
    Gas can create energy.
    Gas can take you to water.
    Electricity will give you games.
    Running water makes you lazy.

If you don't have running water, you could still use a well right?

I would pick that option.

Deleted
    No water...no electricity (therefore no internet)...

Yeah< i can live without the car

taps...check...elective oven check...fuck gas

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 06:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    lmao... who choose gas... Have fun freezing to death.
    Gas can create energy.
    Gas can take you to water.
    Electricity will give you games.
    Running water makes you lazy.
    electric heaters bitch i'll be lovely and warm.

Fossil fuels, because I have a wood stove to heat the house anyway. Showers would be cold, but I could heat water over the stove and sponge bath or something. Bike to class ~4 miles away. The biggest thing I would worry about is the pipes freezing, I'd probably have to use an extension cord and a blowdryer to keep them warm. Losing electricity and running water would be a much greater hassle though.