Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

In Need Of Good Turn Based RPG's

Title says it all. While I have been enjoying Skyrim lately and other newer RPG's. I haven't seen many turn based RPG's like Final Fantasy 6, Cthulhu Saves the World, or Chrono Trigger (best game ever imo). So is there any good ones recently out I could play on PC? Or have turn based RPG's all but gone the way of the Dodo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Deleted
    On PC they've always been pretty much nonexistent since the DOS era sadly (although good ports from then are on GoG). PS2 still has a frankly huge library though, and games like Persona 3 & 4 (other Shin Megami Tensei games are good too), Disgaea 1 & 2 (3 & 4 are out on PS3) are really good and some of my all time favorites.

Most development for newer ones moved to the PSP and DS in the last few years, so if you want choice, PS2, PSX, Dreamcast and older are probably your best bet. Although, Temple of Elemental Evil is a good turn based rpg on PC, think turn based baldurs gate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I am looking at my PS 1, PS 2, Dreamcast and SNES right now. Most of which I have RPG's for. Maybe I will just play FF6 again to tide me over.
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Disciples 1-3 If you've never played them. They are pretty fun. A mix of turn based and strategy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kebbler123 View Post
    Disciples 1-3 If you've never played them. They are pretty fun. A mix of turn based and strategy.
    Thanks I will check them out.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a PSP I would recommend getting FFIV: The Complete Collection. It has FFIV, FFIV: Interlude and FFIV: The After Years. Also, SE added some extra dungeons and challenges to FFIV and TAY. I'm currently finishing it up right now.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    i'm not sure if legend of grimrock is turn base, i haven't played the game, but it does loke old school party based RPG à la ultima

Deleted
    http://www.spidweb.com/avadon/

Recently available in the Humble bundle for Android (and PC!) works really well and is enjoyable on my Transformer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, you will think this is a troll answer, but its not...the game is actually well done despite being a joke:

Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden
    http://www.gamesradar.com/charles-ba...nd-jam-gaiden/

Try Knights of the Chalice

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/

Excellent tactical turn based RPG, one of the best ones ever made. Sadly overlooked due to it's graphics
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Dungeons of Dredmor - turn based dungeon crawler... maybe not exactly what you want but its awesome.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Disciples 2 is by far one the most amazing turn based game, one faction's campaing was rougly 20-30 hour pure gameplay. I really enjoyed it.

Disciples 3 was one of the biggest letdown i ever faced in my gamer carrier, if you like the 2nd game, and grown to love it, dont touch the third, huge dissapointment.
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Arcanum has turn base combat and is an awesome RPG

Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    Disciples 2 is by far one the most amazing turn based game, one faction's campaing was rougly 20-30 hour pure gameplay. I really enjoyed it.

Disciples 3 was one of the biggest letdown i ever faced in my gamer carrier, if you like the 2nd game, and grown to love it, dont touch the third, huge dissapointment.
    Loved Disciples, even if it was a copy of HOMM3. Keep in mind, 64 bit systems have a hell of a time getting Disciples to run. Kind of annoying.

Hmm...

PS1
    Persona 1
    Persona 2 (both parts)
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Xenogears

PS2
    Persona 3 FES
    Persona 4
    Disgaea
    Disgaea 2

There's frankly loads of RPGs on both PS1 and PS2, these are just the ones I really enjoyed.
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

There are a ton of them on SNES. I recommend Breath of Fire 1 & 2.

If PS2 is an option, try and get a hold of Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts: Covenant, and Grandia II while you're at it. They have great battle systems to go with good stories.

If you have a Dreamcast or Gamecube, take a look at Skies of Arcadia or Skies of Arcadia: Legends. Note that as of late there are rumors of an HD re-release of it.

For PC: Yikes. Closest I can think of that I've enjoyed would be the Heroes of Might and Magic series, though its probably a bit far from the typical turn based rpg. (skip 4...just save yourself). While not exactly new, I enjoyed 3 quite a bit and 5 wasn't bad either, balance issues aside. HoMM 6 came out recently to good review, but I've not yet played it myself.

To go a bit older there is the Quest for Glory series that I grew up on and loved. As a result of your question I came across mention of a game called Hero-U which is about to enter development and is under the direction of Corey Cole, one of the creators of QFG. That is one that I'll be keeping an eye on.

If you haven't played it yet, get Dragon Quest 9 for DS. One of the best turned base RPGs I've played in awhile, the different armor sets are really fun, and it has this amazing old school RPG feeling.

I realize it's not on the systems you asked for, but it's that good.

well.. you can easily play it on PC
    Last edited by Digglett; 2012-11-28 at 05:39 PM.

You should emulate Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Some of the best games I've ever played!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also, not sure if you are thinking along the lines of only FF style games, but when you say turn based and RPG, my favorite games of all time come to mind. Fallout 1 and 2. They are nothing like the new Bethesda games. The original Fallouts made by Interplay are amazing. I've played them over and over throughout the years and everything about them screams awesome. The dark humor, the cool storyline, non-linear gameplay, love it all..