Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Grover Norquist - How Does this Guy Wield So Much Power

Could someone explain to me why this guy has so much sway over the GOP? I realize that he has some outdated pledge that most of the Republican Party signed decades ago, but how is something like this still holding so much power over people? You agreed to do something back when it made sense, it doesn't make sense any more, so we don't do it anymore. Not complicated.

Keep in mind, our current tax rate is at one of the lowest rates in the modern history of this country.

To quote Grover, "there is no expiration date on principles".

Quote Originally Posted by Riidii View Post
    It was once a commonly held principle that the Earth was flat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Taxation shouldn't be a question of principles, but one of policy, which varies based on the needs of the day.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Taxation shouldn't be a question of principles, but one of policy, which varies based on the needs of the day.
    So flip-flopping is cool now?

Oh I see.

10+ Year Old Account

Oh I see.
    Tailoring policies to the requirements of the day isn't flip-flopping. It's making good policy. You don't accuse the Federal Reserve of flip-flopping when they raise and lower interest rates, or companies of flip-flopping when they hire or lay off workers. The same should be true of tax rates.

Oh I see.
    The real world isn't a rigid place where one can expect the same ideals to endure through decades unchanged.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Oh I see.
    Yep, just like we flip-flopped on slavery.

And just so we're all clear: a policy is not an ideal. Nordquist's "pledge" was to a policy, not an ideal.
    Last edited by cubby; 2012-11-28 at 07:55 PM.

My understanding is that many of the house republicans are afraid of being challenged in primaries by more conservative Tea Party candidates if they vote for a bill to raise tax rates. I'm not saying it's a valid reason for inaction, but that may be why they're staying true to this thing with Norquist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    In Western Education yes. However old teachings, books, tablets and other forms of script have shown that ancient civilizations knew the planet was round. Not very on topic, but just a point.

Deleted
    It was once a commonly held principle that the Earth IS flat.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangaea

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    In Western Education yes. However old teachings, books, tablets and other forms of script have shown that ancient civilizations knew the planet was round. Not very on topic, but just a point.
    Not even western education, all late greek philosophers agreed that earth is round, Eratosthenes even calculated its diameter (i think he was 10% off), flat earth myth dates from late 19th century. On topic, never underestimate stubbornness of people, even after they're proved wrong (sometimes especially if they're proven wrong)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cudomix View Post
    Not even western education, all late greek philosophers agreed that earth is round, Eratosthenes even calculated its diameter (i think he was 10% off), flat earth myth dates from late 19th century. On topic, never underestimate stubbornness of people, even after they're proved wrong (sometimes especially if they're proven wrong)
    Well among the educated classes it was known the Earth was round, but not among the uneducated masses.

Because he's a puppet who's been around for over 30 years, giving advice to children teaching them good morals.

And when he dons that cape and knight's helmet - he becomes SUPER Grover! ^_^

OT but it's always fun to read surnames that are blatantly nordic/scandinavian, the funny thing is most/all of them(in US politics) that I know (a couple of senators and a couple of congressmen)seem to be republicans, they are rebelling against their scandinavian heritage! rofl

ah as expected
    Norquist grew up in Weston, Massachusetts. He is the son of Carol (née Lutz) and Warren Elliott Norquist (a vice president of Polaroid Corporation)[7][8], and is of Swedish lineage.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-11-28 at 09:02 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Because he's rich and Republicans(office holders, not the plebeians) are rich and they all want to stay that way.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    OT but it's always fun to read surnames that are blatantly nordic/scandinavian, the funny thing is most/all of them(in US politics) that I know (a couple of senators and a couple of congressmen)seem to be republicans, they are rebelling against their scandinavian heritage! rofl

ah as expected
    Good work, Kalle Blomkvist!

Grover losing power is a side effect of Obama winning. Grover and his backers have a lot of money to pool, which in the past was use successfully to kick Republicans who did not agree with Grover's views out of office. But with O winning against the amount of money spent by the Republicans, the Republican can now see that money alone will not keep them in office. In which case, they now feel empowered to antagonize Grover and no longer fears his money or his threats.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraclef View Post
    How exactly does a super-continent change the shape of the entire planet?

Grover Norquist wields power exactly the same way the Koch's Bros and every other non-politician political bigwig in this country does. $$$$$$$$$$$ If you speak out against them they will fund your opponent in the next election to unseat you. Its why so many GOP people signed that tax pledge or folks on both sides join the talking points bandwagons. If they speak out against the lobbyists or the folks love Grover they will see a much tougher road to holding the power they so desperately cling to.

That was never a principle, it was a belief, or rather a hypothesis. And never a commonly held one, despite popular misconceptions.

Principles (i.e. "I will not lie to get what I want") should not change according to Mr Norquist (whom I do not know). Old assumptions obviously need to change if new data contradicts them. Your retort does thus not apply at all.
    Last edited by iscalio; 2012-11-28 at 09:33 PM.