Considering an upgrade, little help?

- Case: BitFenix Shinobi Midi Tower - White/Black
    - Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 650w PSU
    - CPU: Intel Core i5 3570 3.40GHz Quad Core CPU
    - Motherboard: Gigabyte H61MA-D2V Intel H61 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
    - Cooler: Stock Intel CPU Cooler
    - RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz C8 DDR3 Dual Channel Kit
    - Hard Drive: 1TB HDD
    - Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB GDDR5
    - Sound: Onboard 7.1 Audio
    - Optical Drive: OcUK 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter - Black

That's my spec, what would you guys upgrade first? Considering overclocking it and getting proper cooling but I'm not sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt that motherboard can deliver the juice for a hefty overclock. It's a H61, which is not really meant for overclocking. Nor is a non-K processor ( i know it's possible, but it's not ideal)
    On another note, why are you deciding an upgrade. This is all relativly new and shouldn't cause any real issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevaara View Post
    - Case: BitFenix Shinobi Midi Tower - White/Black
    - Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 650w PSU
    - CPU: Intel Core i5 3570 3.40GHz Quad Core CPU
    - Motherboard: Gigabyte H61MA-D2V Intel H61 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
    - Cooler: Stock Intel CPU Cooler
    - RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz C8 DDR3 Dual Channel Kit
    - Hard Drive: 1TB HDD
    - Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB GDDR5
    - Sound: Onboard 7.1 Audio
    - Optical Drive: OcUK 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter - Black

That's my spec, what would you guys upgrade first? Considering overclocking it and getting proper cooling but I'm not sure.
    Switch to the 3570k if you want to overclock, with a Z77 motherboard. I suggest the AsRock Z77 Extreme4, but there are other good options out there. Depending on your price range, you can either check out a Hyper212 evo or something like a Havik 140 CPU cooler. If budget allows, I'd also suggest a solid state drive for the operating system, you really don't need more than a 64gb for OS + a few programs while allowing it to keep some free space.

What PSU are you looking at? 650w is plenty of power but you want something reliable. Same goes for the HDD, I'd suggest a Western Digital Blue or Black, you can probably get away with a green if you go for the SSD as well. 660ti is good, but brand?
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced

The PSU you're about to buy, could you say which brand it is? If it's a cheapass PSU, forget it. Get something like a seasonic 500w

GSkill ram is a bit cheaper and just as good. Tons of positive reviews on Newegg. I would also get a cpu cooler if you plan to upgrade. The Hyper 212+ is also on sale at Newegg. I would also suggest getting an SSD if possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys i think the setup he posted is already in his possession. Correct me if i'm wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Guys i think the setup he posted is already in his possession. Correct me if i'm wrong.
    I was under that impression too.

2 things of note - non-k processor which means it is locked. Second is the h61 board, which does not allow for overclocking. You need a K series chip and a Z77/75 MB to OC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    I was under that impression too.

2 things of note - non-k processor which means it is locked. Second is the h61 board, which does not allow for overclocking. You need a K series chip and a Z77/75 MB to OC.
    There is still a degree in which you can overclock. For example the BCLK isn't locked, neither is the mutliplier. It's just locked to a certain degree. Like 41 or 43 or something.
    However, being a H61 board, you can bet they didn't include a beefy power suppy (phases) for the CPU, so you'll be severely limited in that regard. And it'll go unstable pretty quickly.
    Again, it IS possible, but you're correct to say it's better to go with a Z77 + K-processor.