Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Powerball, 1st thing you would do

What is the 1st thing you would do with the 1st installment of money you get from the jackpot.

Me, down payment on awesome house and sick gaming PC

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd get a lawyer, a tax accountant, and a banker.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I think most people would agree, quit my crappy job, but if the question is what would I do with the money? I'd go on a sweet ass vacation and then buy a nice car.
    Last edited by Bmfstunner; 2012-11-28 at 10:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    go into hiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    here is the point, you see it?********************************************************************this is you

Deleted
    hire an architect and build my self one awesome house.
    Hire an accountant and banker to make some calculations for how to spent my money in terms of longevity.

Get a financial adviser and invest all that stuff in low-mid risk funds and live happy for the rest of my life.

Just pay off anything I own which has interest, get a cinema lens package, some gifts for my wife, and then put the rest into a savings account, maybe invest a little of it. I would keep my job and just live a stress free life where my wife doesn't have to work and can just take care of our baby
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    Moved to Fun Stuff.

I would get a computer that can run games smoothly! :3

Set up a portfolio and live off the dividends forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Just pay off anything I own which has interest, get a cinema lens package, some gifts for my wife, and then put the rest into a savings account, maybe invest a little of it. I would keep my job and just live a stress free life where my wife doesn't have to work and can just take care of our baby
    500 million dollars and you keep your job? Are you a brain surgeon or something..Stephen Hawking in disguise?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pay off my parents house and buy one closer to mine.

Call my parents, and tell them they don't have to worry about money ever again.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    500 million dollars and you keep your job? Are you a brain surgeon or something..Stephen Hawking in disguise?
    Some people like what they do.

OT: beach house in California.

Pretty easy for me.

1. Give 25% to various charity organizations.
    2. Pay off all outstanding debt for myself, my parents, my aunt/uncle, and my grandmother.
    3. Pay off all outstanding debt for my closest friends.
    3. Keep $500,000 spread in some accessible bank accounts, put about $100,00 in a CD, put back about 1 million, put the rest into well researched and low, but reliable, yield investments.
    4. Furnish house with the items I want. I don't have wild ambitions for cars and high dollar items.
    Since this one is the main point of this thread:
    I'd buy a 65" TV and surround sound system, a new couch and media storage cabinet, and wall mounted shelving. I'd then get a full line of gaming systems set up retro to modern in a stylish display. Then I'd get a guest bedroom set, a small couch and a new writing desk for the front room. I would upgrade the PC. At this point, I'm pretty much set with everything I want.
    5. Go to work. Be the most straightforward and honest employee to ever work here. Get fired as a result.
    6. Pursue interests. Archery, martial arts, survival training, travel, web design, programming, game design.

Honestly, I wouldn't work FOR someone. I would work on what I want to do, like writing or working on developing a comic series. I'd possibly work part time somewhere or I'd spend my time doing charity and volunteer work instead of working for a paycheck. I also think it would be fun to be able to shop garage sales, estate sales, storage auctions, etc. and find/sell treasures on ebay for fun.

Alternative:
    1. Give 25% to various charity organizations.
    2. Pay off all outstanding debt for myself, my parents, my aunt/uncle, and my grandmother.
    3. Pay off all outstanding debt for my closest friends.
    4. Become Batman.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2012-11-28 at 10:58 PM.

I just don't believe people should stop doing what they enjoy just because they landed a ton of cash. It always makes me laugh when winners say things like "I live the same way as I did before I won. Except, I quit my job, bought 3 new cars 2 new homes. But other then that, nothing has changed." Winning the lottery shouldn't change the way people live, except to make life not stressful with money and you still get to feel like you're contributing something to society by working / paying taxes. Not working would be unwise
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    I would actually also keep my job. I like my job and having a great time pretty much every day at work. As for the money, I'd buy a house and a new car most likely, but then I'd give away the rest. I don't want that much money, I want to feel that when I buy something, it has a value for me. When you can buy everything everywhere, nothing is worth anything anymore. Atleast that is how it would be for me.

I would probably take lump sum, but first thing(s):

Full medical workup - Test for everything. I don't want some rare disease or aneurism or tumor to go unnoticed.
    Pay off debt (Student loans and car loans)
    Buy land/hire construction company/architect design and build a house
    Pay off loans for my parents, in-laws, and sister
    Trust fund - full college tuition for my brother in-laws
    $1 million in the stock market
    Max out Roth IRA for my husband and me
    Donations to charity, at least 10% of the winnings, no more than 35%, split across many different charities
    4 ultimate computers - 2 gaming machines for my husband and me, a server, and a dedicated folding rig
    Ultimate gamers room - Home theater setup with all video game consoles
    Full furnishings for house
    Japan/European vacation

Make sure that I have enough stowed away in the bank to afford a lifetime of property taxes, buying a new car every 2-3 years
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    I just don't believe people should stop doing what they enjoy just because they landed a ton of cash. It always makes me laugh when winners say things like "I live the same way as I did before I won. Except, I quit my job, bought 3 new cars 2 new homes. But other then that, nothing has changed." Winning the lottery shouldn't change the way people live, except to make life not stressful with money and you still get to feel like you're contributing something to society by working / paying taxes. Not working would be unwise
    You'd be surprised how many people hate and loathe their jobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    This, As well as...

Go into hiding
    You would have to, No buts, ifs or mabyes. If you walked outside saying " I WON IT I WON IT "people would hunt you down. I would collect privite and pick a stale and town i have never been to and start a new life. New house and a part time job to keep it legit. I would take care of my family thats for sure. But i wouldnt tell anyone outside my family i had won. ( Yes you can have it like that )
    " The fear of God is the beginning of Wisdom, Therefore he who has no fear of god has no wisdom "
    People saying we are in the end-times really don't know anything. Such as there's going to be 7 years of world peace before it happens and as long as china and russia are still a thing its safe to say its not going to happen anytime soon.