Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Help - GTX 560 loud fan all the time

I've been looking through online forums about this problem I'm having with my GPU fan being really loud all the time, but have yet to find a solution. Just some background, it is generally loud when I wake up my computer (which is a brand new build that I made in April), and it just keeps chugging at what sounds like max speed for no reason at all. I can be gaming or just staring at my desktop and it rarely ever quiets down. I've touched the fan a few times to sort of get it to stop for a second and then continue on, and sometimes this solves the problem and it runs quiet again for a while. I've downloaded AfterBurner and other programs, and the temperature seems to be just fine (generally around 30C when I ran it this morning). I feel like its more of an issue with the physical fan itself then my card overheating because gaming is always perfectly smooth and there hasn't ever been a problem with performance.

Anyone have a similar experience or any sort of knowledge on the topic? Greatly appreciate it, thank you!

Brand/model?
    Driver revision?

Very common problem... no real solution other then to turn the graphics card way down.

Even if you do that it doesnt always work,

Its a notorious problem with high end graphics cards and there are millions of complaints about it

I don't have a GTX560, but I did have a similar problem with my old GTS 250 after having it for two years. Four years later and it's still doing fine in the old computer, albeit it's noisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizz216 View Post
    ... I've touched the fan a few times to sort of get it to stop for a second and then continue on, and sometimes this solves the problem and it runs quiet again for a while. I've downloaded AfterBurner and other programs, and the temperature seems to be just fine (generally around 30C when I ran it this morning). I feel like its more of an issue with the physical fan itself then my card overheating because gaming is always perfectly smooth and there hasn't ever been a problem with performance.

Anyone have a similar experience or any sort of knowledge on the topic? Greatly appreciate it, thank you!
    That sounds like the ball bearing isn't good anymore. Ball bearings need to be oiled and when they get hot the oil will crystallize and vanish. So even when you bought a new card it could be that it laid for too long in a shop so that the fan isn't good anymore. You can fix it by taking the fan off and replacing it with another one or put one drop of oil into the bearing (you can't use oil you use to cook) but it will break the warranty. I don't think that you can take it back to the shop because it's something that will happen sooner or later.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
    That sounds like the ball bearing isn't good anymore. Ball bearings need to be oiled and when they get hot the oil will crystallize and vanish. So even when you bought a new card it could be that it laid for too long in a shop so that the fan isn't good anymore. You can fix it by taking the fan off and replacing it with another one or put one drop of oil into the bearing (you can't use oil you use to cook) but it will break the warranty. I don't think that you can take it back to the shop because it's something that will happen sooner or later.
    This is more along the lines of my train of thought. Definitely think Ill try that out. Is getting to the bearing usually easy?