Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Not All Cops are Bad

As seen in the video here:

(http://www.weather.com/weather/video...kindness-32470)

Not all cops are mindless thugs, something that this forum needs to be reminded of from time to time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    I think the story should be less about the cop and more about the fact that it is freezing out and we have people sitting outside with no shoes. I am tasked with patrolling the poor places of my city, I've seen some very horrible things. So many people are suffering and poor and the worst part is that it seems to go ignored.

Months ago, me and a fellow officer were on patrol and it was pretty late, about 3ish AM if I remember correctly, we were driving by an alley way and my partner saw woman huddled by some trash cans. Something didn't look right so we decided to stop and see if she was okay. Turned out she was dead, just laying there for who knows how bloody long. Long enough to be stiff as a board and cold as ice. We had the body removed, did the background check to see if she had any family, discovered she didn't and so she was disposed of. I hated it so much, a person died and nobody cared, she wasn't in the news or even the paper.

Bleh now I'm getting all sad.
    Do you want to know why there's so little focus on homeless people? Because of the leeches. And when I say leeches, I mean the people who pretend they're homeless or poor and sit in the streets in ragged clothes and may end up winning more money then you, actually working for them to build villas.

I see you're from Canada, not sure if this happens so much there as well, but in Europe this happens so much people have less and less will to give anything to beggars.

And there isn't as much public focus because the state, the leadership will try to sweep this problem under the rug since it's a stain on their "perfect" leader skills. This happens everywhere. For example here in Bucharest, Romania, sure, you get here, it's a bit of a dirty capital, some beggars, but doesn't seem like many... what you don't know is that there's an entire mini-city in the sewers of homeless people and drug addicts, hundreads of them! And nobody cares. In fact, the state actually once poured concrete over an exit, almost sealing 20 or so of them inside. But it was found out in time... this time. Who knows if they actually did this once and it was never found out? Capitalism doesn't care about poor people because poor people don't help economic growth. And this is why the people who only care about money will try to hide and get rid of these poor people for good.

Yes, I agree, this should be more about the homeless and the poor... but then you'll get the people who only saw the leeches around their nations and as such don't know of these homeless and poor, only the leeches, and they'll throw the stupid argument "well they should get a job" which works for the leeches, since they should get a job, but not for the actual homeless and too poor since... many of them had one or, on the contrary, they never did but can't because of ... well, who would hire a person in rags dirty and taken from the streets? Only a handfull of people.

Most cops are not bad. It's just that the bad cops get more coverage. The only people who hate cops are criminals or the ignorant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by raist187 View Post
    Most cops are not bad. It's just that the bad cops get more coverage. The only people who hate cops are criminals or the ignorant.
    Or ordinary people that get treated unfairly by cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Or ordinary people that get treated unfairly by cops.
    I don't tend to put myself in situations where I would ever have to interact with police in a negative fashion anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by raist187 View Post
    I don't tend to put myself in situations where I would ever have to interact with police in a negative fashion anyway.
    That's kind of what most people that get treated unfairly by police do too. I don't think all cops are bad, and there definitely are good ones out there - I've yet to actually meet one in person, mind. My main gripe with the police isn't that they make mistakes or just fuck with people for no reason, its that the whole system protects them from punishment when they do step over the line.

Also, people like you that insist that those that hate cops must either be guilty or ignorant of facts are part of the problem.

Deleted
    True.
    Only American cops

HAHAHAHAHA DAT JOKE

but no you are right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Do you want to know why there's so little focus on homeless people? Because of the leeches. And when I say leeches, I mean the people who pretend they're homeless or poor and sit in the streets in ragged clothes and may end up winning more money then you, actually working for them to build villas.

I see you're from Canada, not sure if this happens so much there as well, but in Europe this happens so much people have less and less will to give anything to beggars.

And there isn't as much public focus because the state, the leadership will try to sweep this problem under the rug since it's a stain on their "perfect" leader skills. This happens everywhere. For example here in Bucharest, Romania, sure, you get here, it's a bit of a dirty capital, some beggars, but doesn't seem like many... what you don't know is that there's an entire mini-city in the sewers of homeless people and drug addicts, hundreads of them! And nobody cares. In fact, the state actually once poured concrete over an exit, almost sealing 20 or so of them inside. But it was found out in time... this time. Who knows if they actually did this once and it was never found out? Capitalism doesn't care about poor people because poor people don't help economic growth. And this is why the people who only care about money will try to hide and get rid of these poor people for good.

Yes, I agree, this should be more about the homeless and the poor... but then you'll get the people who only saw the leeches around their nations and as such don't know of these homeless and poor, only the leeches, and they'll throw the stupid argument "well they should get a job" which works for the leeches, since they should get a job, but not for the actual homeless and too poor since... many of them had one or, on the contrary, they never did but can't because of ... well, who would hire a person in rags dirty and taken from the streets? Only a handfull of people.
    It's a big problem in San Francisco as well. Back when Reagan was governor of California he apparently had the brilliant idea to shut down the state's mental health program and spend the money elsewhere. Who cares about crazy people, right? And while that was bad enough to being with, a lot of psychiatric patients who were housed in long term care facilities had no home or family to go when their care center closed. So now you have thousands of people with pretty serious conditions wandering the streets.

It's really bad in San Francisco and its suburbs. The Bay Area has tons of programs for the homeless and while many of them use them, there's no guarantee they'll stay there long term. For many it's also incredibly profitable to just stay on the streets, especially by directing tourists. However there's been a trend lately where if said tourists don't give them money they've been redirected down to the Tenderloin or other not so nice parts of the city. The panhandling in general has also become much more aggressive.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Talokami View Post
    It's a big problem in San Francisco as well. Back when Reagan was governor of California he apparently had the brilliant idea to shut down the state's mental health program and spend the money elsewhere. Who cares about crazy people, right? And while that was bad enough to being with, a lot of psychiatric patients who were housed in long term care facilities had no home or family to go when their care center closed. So now you have thousands of people with pretty serious conditions wandering the streets.

It's really bad in San Francisco and its suburbs. The Bay Area has tons of programs for the homeless and while many of them use them, there's no guarantee they'll stay there long term. For many it's also incredibly profitable to just stay on the streets, especially by directing tourists. However there's been a trend lately where if said tourists don't give them money they've been redirected down to the Tenderloin or other not so nice parts of the city. The panhandling in general has also become much more aggressive.
    That sounds bad. Why would anyone close clinics for psychiatric patients is beyond me, but I know that it only leads to horrible problems. Similar to this, here we didn't close those, but a former mayor closed those for drug addicts, and now there's druggies everywhere who steal from people to get their money for drugs. I don't know what some people are thinking when they do such mindless stuff that has a big impact in the future. Maybe that's the problem, they don't think anything.

I saw this on the news last night and was going to post it if no one beat me to it. I cannot think of a more fitting example of "to protect and serve". It's such a heartwarming story and a nice reminder that there are decent cops out there. If only all cops were as nice as this one they wouldn't have such a bad image in the first place. Can this guy get promoted to Police Chief like yesterday???

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aalyy View Post
    I saw this on the news last night and was going to post it if no one beat me to it. I cannot think of a more fitting example of "to protect and serve". It's such a heartwarming story and a nice reminder that there are decent cops out there. If only all cops were as nice as this one they wouldn't have such a bad image in the first place. Can this guy get promoted to Police Chief like yesterday???
    I know that it would be a nice thing for every cop to do this, thing is, lots of cops can't afford to do this, atleast not everyday.

Also, promoting him to Police Chief? Really? Because he bought a shoes to a homeless guy? Doesn't make much sense to me why he would be promoted because of that. o.O

http://youtu.be/l4h_2vBVwUA
    They sure aren't....

But then again...
    http://youtu.be/yn8CE5ISUSw
    There's also quite a few of these guys too.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I know that it would be a nice thing for every cop to do this, thing is, lots of cops can't afford to do this, atleast not everyday.

Also, promoting him to Police Chief? Really? Because he bought a shoes to a homeless guy? Doesn't make much sense to me why he would be promoted because of that. o.O
    Oh for crying out loud! It was an expression of this guy setting an example that many cops would do well to follow. I don't actually think a brand new 25 yr old rookie should be Police Chief. Although some of them could learn a thing or two from the rookie. I have been very critical of cops on this forum and so I think it's fair that I acknowledge this good cop and what he did and the example he set. Guess you can't win for losing with some people on this forum!!

And I don't think every cop has to be spending their own money on shoes for homeless people as part of their job description but a lot of them should take the "protect and serve" part of their oath a lot more seriously and remember they are paid to serve the public and not the other way around.

Anyone that thinks all cops are bad is a moron. Sure there's plenty of bad cops out there I'm sure but most of the ones I see are genuinely good people just trying to do their job. I've been pulled over by the same cop 3 times, who didn't even know me prior to pulling me over the first time. Every time he pulled me over I was speeding and didn't have a seat belt on. I was very polite to him and even joked around with him a bit. The last time he pulled me over, he recognized me by name without even asking for my license. On the way back to his car, i said "Just give me the goddamn ticket, I deserve it." And he let me off again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aalyy View Post
    Oh for crying out loud! It was an expression of this guy setting an example that many cops would do well to follow. I don't actually think a brand new 25 yr old rookie should be Police Chief. Although some of them could learn a thing or two from the rookie. I have been very critical of cops on this forum and so I think it's fair that I acknowledge this good cop and what he did and the example he set. Guess you can't win for losing with some people on this forum!!
    Ah, sorry, but it came to me that you actually believed that he should have been promoted.

If the news was to post about the good in the world people would get bored. People have the attention span of a nat. So, the news reports the negatives in the world to catch the interest of the simple-minded. If the news were to report the good things going on in this world it would be a never ending broadcast.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Of coarse not all of them are bad, most of them join the police force to do good.
    There's also just a lot of douchebags who become cop so they can make people's life harder
    ∞=0
    0/2 = 0 , ∞/2 = ∞
    2/0 = error , 2/∞ = error
    0*2 = 0 , ∞*2 = ∞

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post

In Vancouver at least it's not people pretending to be homeless because they're too lazy to work. The cost of housing and real estate here is just too high for a lot of people. Most homeless people here used to have houses and lives but the cost of living became far too great for them.

Quote Originally Posted by the0o View Post
    True, People only hear the loudest in a crowd, and the bad are often make the most noise (or seen on the news, or youtube)

Speaking of which there is a video on you of a guy walking down the street with his gun, a cop stopped him and did everything by the book. if i can find it i will post it.

Edit : i think this is it

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXwP02Dkp7A

my office just blocked youtube so i cant check.
    that's not the vid. that's a dick open carrying and 2 cops harrassing him because he's a dick and they're dicks too. i know the one you're talking about but can't find it.