Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Darksiders - shitty God of War rip-off.

Metro 2033 - shitty STALKER rip-off, partially saved by an interesting economic system and gorgeous (if poorly optimized) engine.
    Oh boy, here we go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rather obnoxious of people to be complaining about a bundle like this. They're decent games, and at the price you can get them for it's dumb to stomp your feet and demand better.

Been meaning to try Dark Siders for awhile now, so.. yay.

Metro 2033 - shitty STALKER rip-off, partially saved by an interesting economic system and gorgeous (if poorly optimized) engine.
    Excuse me while I go bother researching what God of War and Stalker "ripped off" i.e. games with similar styles/themes that came out before it.

10+ Year Old Account
    RIP in peace, THQ. It's been nice knowing you.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Before I played Darksiders through, I was thoroughly sold on how much it seemed like a rip-off of God of War. In reality, it is much more like Legend of Zelda, Twilight Princess - Except War's Midna is voiced by Mark Hamill and every shop keeper is a demon voiced by Phil Lamarr. It doesn't win any awards for deep thought provoking writing (then again, neither does Zelda), but everything from the combat, to the platforming, to the camera (I DESPISED Twilight Princess' camera) were all very smooth. I really wanted to dislike it for it borrowing heavily from other titles in the genre, but I was having too much fun.

Metro 2033 was developed by a company that was composed of former lead programmers who made STALKER.

I'll laugh when it's added as the second week bonus as it's published by THQ as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by botulox View Post
    Saints Row is good if your standards are low.
    is it because there's not enough fox people and wolf people or any animals in general

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Andry View Post
    is it because there's not enough fox people and wolf people or any animals in general
    Wow. You need to learn to be more respectful. I, myself, think that video games could use more anthropomorphic foxes and wolves, especially cute little red ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Been meaning to try Dark Siders for awhile now, so.. yay.
    It's pretty fun. It feels like an homage to LoZ and God of War, kinda. I wanna try the second one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Andry View Post
    I guess Professor Genki and his crew and the various lesser mascots aren't good enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Excuse me while I go bother researching what God of War and Stalker "ripped off" i.e. games with similar styles/themes that came out before it.
    Nothing is really original anymore, but there's the difference between "taking inspiration from" and plain cloning something. I'll admit both Darksiders and Metro 2033 are more the former than the latter, but the games they're influenced by are pretty obvious.

Darksiders has elements from other games in it (Legend of Zelda, as mentioned), but its hacky-slashy gameplay style and "gather souls from shit to kill to make your ridiculously over-compensating sword kill shit more better," system is ripped out of God of War almost whole.

Metro 2033 is very similar to a linear, easier STALKER that takes place entirely in underground areas. Was-once-human mutants caused by radiation, alien-like "super mutants", they even have the electrical "kill you dead" anomalies and ghost-like entities. Oh, it's Russian, too (okay, fine, STALKER is technically Ukranian, but western audiences won't know the difference unless you explain it to them.)

Understand, I'm not saying either game is boring - I got Darksiders for free with the Space Marine pre-order and enjoyed it and Metro 2033 is plenty fun - but that both games borrow very heavily from specific earlier games and just barely fall on this side of the "clone/not-a-clone" line.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Metro 2033 is very similar to a linear, easier STALKER that takes place entirely in underground areas. Was-once-human mutants caused by radiation, alien-like "super mutants", they even have the electrical "kill you dead" anomalies and ghost-like entities. Oh, it's Russian, too (okay, fine, STALKER is technically Ukranian, but western audiences won't know the difference unless you explain it to them.)
    STALKER isn't a linear game for one.
    If the settings are 'similar' does not make it a knock off of another.
    In fact, Metro 2033 is based off a book called... Metro 2033. Hell, little books are scattered around the whole game.
    It is inspired by a book, not another game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty great deal, thanks for sharing op

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    STALKER isn't a linear game for one.
    If the settings are 'similar' does not make it a knock off of another.
    In fact, Metro 2033 is based off a book called... Metro 2033. Hell, little books are scattered around the whole game.
    It is inspired by a book, not another game.
    Aside from worrying about food and other stats, gameplay is very, very similar between the two titles. The only difference is that Metro 2033 is linear and always "indoors" (in the sense that the outdoor areas are walled off by debris and straight up invisible walls) while STALKER is free-roaming and full of largely meaningless side jobs to inflate play time and drag out the game.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from worrying about food and other stats, gameplay is very, very similar between the two titles. The only difference is that Metro 2033 is linear and always "indoors" (in the sense that the outdoor areas are walled off by debris and straight up invisible walls) while STALKER is free-roaming and full of largely meaningless side jobs to inflate play time and drag out the game.
    That went from setting = the same.
    Then it became gameplay = the same, whilst ignoring the stuff the made STALKER itself, and then saying Metro 2033 is linear, much like a lot of game.
    Metro 2033 is following a story by a book, there is no "oh let's go do this random other thing" in order to make it non linear.

STALKER has inventory management, faction, npc interactions, storage, weapon durability and fix (Call of Pripyat), armor and health. Radiation, poison, bleeding, etc.

Metro 2033 comes in large with ammo conservation, interesting currency method, and largely, it is still based off a book. It is meant to be story driven.

The game play, if you want to say and ignore everything else.
    Getting shot in the face = dying.
    Falling off a cliff = dying.
    NPCs see you if you screw up stealth, and then proceed to get shot in the face.
    Shooting people hurts.

The genre is FPS, you can't change that. Every FPS game is going to be what it is. The core is the same, everything else they do is what makes a game unique.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    I have to say, that has to be the best humble bundle I've seen. Already got all of the games though myself.
    Same here. Rather unfortunate, I really like THQ. But alas, I own all the ones I want already, and couldn't care less about the ones I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait a sec, you've being serious all this time?

You are obviously not informed enough if you make statements like this.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    That went from setting = the same.
    Then it became gameplay = the same, whilst ignoring the stuff the made STALKER itself, and then saying Metro 2033 is linear, much like a lot of game.
    Metro 2033 is following a story by a book, there is no "oh let's go do this random other thing" in order to make it non linear.
    STALKER follows Roadside Picnic. In fact, one of the characters in Metro 2033 even finds a copy of Roadside Picnic in the library and makes a joke about it.

STALKER has inventory management, faction, npc interactions, storage, weapon durability and fix (Call of Pripyat), armor and health. Radiation, poison, bleeding, etc.
    All of which are, ultimately, fairly minor elements of gameplay without modding.

The genre is FPS, you can't change that. Every FPS game is going to be what it is. The core is the same, everything else they do is what makes a game unique.
    And I'm saying that Metro 2033 isn't very unique because it borrows a lot of primary gameplay elements from STALKER's underground sections. When you go into the labs or other underground areas in STALKER, inventory management and resource (ammo) management becomes very important because you can't easily return to the surface and superhuman sprint to the nearest shop for a resupply.

Metro 2033's limits on how many weapons you can carry as well as scarce ammo (some of which doubles as the currency, very slightly emulating STALKER's pretty scarce Rubles) is very similar to these sections of STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    Wait a sec, you've being serious all this time?

You are obviously not informed enough if you make statements like this.
    I've played every single game (including all God of War games) multiple times to completion. I'd say I know plenty on the subject. Good of you to provide such a well-thought, reasoned, insightful, and overall useful post, though.

Watching the counter is surprisingly entertaining. It's crazy how fast the internet goes.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    STALKER follows Roadside Picnic. In fact, one of the characters in Metro 2033 even finds a copy of Roadside Picnic in the library and makes a joke about it.

All of which are, ultimately, fairly minor elements of gameplay without modding.

And I'm saying that Metro 2033 isn't very unique because it borrows a lot of primary gameplay elements from STALKER's underground sections. When you go into the labs or other underground areas in STALKER, inventory management and resource (ammo) management becomes very important because you can't easily return to the surface and superhuman sprint to the nearest shop for a resupply.

Metro 2033's limits on how many weapons you can carry as well as scarce ammo (some of which doubles as the currency, very slightly emulating STALKER's pretty scarce Rubles) is very similar to these sections of STALKER.
    Mentioning is not the same as actually using it.
    http://stalker.wikia.com/wiki/Roadside_Picnic
    The story is not based off of Roadside Picnic, which was the whole premise. Not the similarities and just taking ideas off a book.

Minor elements...?
    It is what makes part of the game, you can't dismiss the game because you dismiss it.

This is not borrowing from STALKER, it is basically borrowing from Resident Evil 1's survival horror, which as it was, made it so you had very limited resource. Again, you are saying one came from the other except it is the genre in itself.

STALKER's Rubles are hard to obtain? O.o
    It's not emulating when Rubles are quite literally just currency without the potential use as being an ammo source.
    You can repeatedly kill people, sell their equipment, and make money (ruble) that way. It is tedious, but it isn't hard to find.
    Military grade bullets are limited, period. You shoot it, it's gone forever, there is no method to farm it or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Watching the counter is surprisingly entertaining. It's crazy how fast the internet goes.
    Catches on rather quickly. Should have it record and see how fast it goes up in time lapse.