Arms Disc vs Frost Mage Shadow

Hi, we're having trouble with this team match up. We're not sure who's better to go on, mage or priest. So far me the warrior has been sitting on the mage and I've come close to killing him but iceblock and then polys on me negate all my cooldowns. Priest doesn't want to dispel it or I die in a deep freeze. Which brings on this question, what should he dispel? What should I spell reflect? Who do I kill? Should I switch at certain times? When should we be aggressive or defensive? If avatar doesn't result in a kill during or soon after, it's gg for us. Any help would be appreciated, please don't say it's impossible to win and leave, constructive answers please. Thank you.

It'd be easier if you said what MMR you're playing at, so we know kind of the skill level you and them are.

My first answer would be, try to reflect the spell he casts AFTER frost bomb. Reflecting frost bomb does nothing to a mage (it heals back up once it explodes) and mages will normally always try and deep or fireblast their frost bomb. If you reflect them trying to explode it, or reflect a deep, you've either negated the majority of the mages burst OR forced him to blink (letting you charge to get up time).

But then, most higher rated mages will set up their frostbomb deeps out of a ring of frost AND see your spell reflect and waste an icelance into it, so I have no idea what advice to give you.

Reply back with your rating and i'll give some more advice, but i'm not sure what caliber of advice you're looking for.
    Last edited by Snuggli; 2012-11-30 at 02:04 PM.

Hey we're currently at 1620 rating with the same MMR.

Quote Originally Posted by crazed View Post
    Hey we're currently at 1620 rating with the same MMR.
    Okay,

Spriest has amazing offheals and seems the easier target, but you actually want to try and stop as much incoming damage as you can from the Mage and that looks like that's what you have been trying to do. Your main objective isn't trying to get a kill, it's trying to stay alive. You don't want to chase the Mage round pillars if that means your Priest has to come out from his pillar to keep you dispelled/alive - MP has the ability to turn a game around in literally 3 seconds and if you bring your priest out, they can easily CC him or swap to him.

Spriest/Mage has a lot of crowd control but a reasonable amount of it is avoidable for your Priest. When the enemy Priest runs in for a fear (or puts his psyfiend down), your Priest can cast fear ward. When the Mage casts a polymorph that you as the warrior cannot interrupt or stop, call out and your Priest can Shadow Word: Death it (with the glyph). Your priest can inner focus with the glyph and top you without worry of counterspells.

You don't want to pop all of your offensive CDs unless absolutely necessarily before the Mage iceblocks. Try and play semi-defensive (make use of safeguard) and slowly drain his health. Once the mage iceblocks you can mass dispel it or shatter and THEN pop all your offensive CDs and try to 1shot him as he can't block for another 25? seconds.

Offensive dispel is very good against Mages as it gets rid of Power Word: Shield and Ice Barrier which is about 150k in absorbs that they can both use fairly often. As I said earlier, you want to spell reflect the spell that is cast after frost bomb (or a frostbolt/icelance combo in a root), and your Priest wants to try and dispel your frost bombs and/or deep freezes.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by crazed View Post
    Hi, we're having trouble with this team match up. We're not sure who's better to go on, mage or priest. So far me the warrior has been sitting on the mage and I've come close to killing him but iceblock and then polys on me negate all my cooldowns. Priest doesn't want to dispel it or I die in a deep freeze. Which brings on this question, what should he dispel? What should I spell reflect? Who do I kill? Should I switch at certain times? When should we be aggressive or defensive? If avatar doesn't result in a kill during or soon after, it's gg for us. Any help would be appreciated, please don't say it's impossible to win and leave, constructive answers please. Thank you.
    If you survive the mages open without much trouble (by far the most difficult part of the fight) this should be an easy after the hybrid healing nerf. Have you priest keep the mage clean (aka purge spam) and just train him into the ground. Spec safeguard for a free rootbreak every 30 sec, save trinket for deeps, tell your priest to get a cd tracker for deeps so he knows if he should save dispel or not. Worst comes to worst he can mass dispel a deep if he needs to.

Alot of your survivability comes from your priests damn near immunity to cc against casters. Between fade, spectral guise, Sw:d, fear ward, his own cc, and LOS, your priest should not hardly be cc'd at all.

Force an iceblock, which should take not very long if the mage is clean. Soon as its over reck/avatar to force voidswap or land a kill. If priest swaps/disperses switch and kill. Biggest problem alot of wars have is blowing cds too early. Wait till they dont have an immunity cd.

Save spell reflects for frost bombs when his deep is off cd or about to be.

Would be good to know your gear level. T1 weapon at least? If you rocking a blue weapon then yea your going to have trouble killing anything.

Edit: Didnt read the guy above me but pretty much the same thing :P
    Last edited by Hand Banana; 2012-12-01 at 07:11 PM.