10+ Year Old Account

EClaro Front Panel Connection

I also posted this on Tom's Hardware forums but am getting no help over there thus far so I figured I would try here as well.

So I recently installed an EClaro sound card and upon going to hook up my front panel connection noticed that the 10 pin connection has all 10 pins.

Now, I work in IT but have only recently started dealing with sound cards. My mobo has the typical 10 pin connection as well with 1 pin missing for the key. This card, however, does not.

I looked on their site just to make sure I read it correctly and they state it is a "standard 10 pin connection" with this picture http://www.htomega.com/images/eclaro_front.jpg - This is not what mine looks like.

I'm at a loss here and thought maybe I needed some sort of converter which to my knowledge doesn't exist. So my two thoughts are this...

1) This is an older connection that I was just unaware of and I'm pretty much up the creek as far as using my front panel with this card or...

2) This was some sort of manufacturing oversight and I can just trim the extra pin off and continue on my merry way (not something I want to do without being 100% sure on).

Keep in mind I have emailed them several times with no response.

I am going to try removing the pins from the front panel header when I get home and manually plugging them in one at a time but wanted to check to make sure someone hasn't had this problem and can help me first.

I wouldn't remove any of the pins from the header. Try popping the key plug out of the connector with a needle instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    I wouldn't remove any of the pins from the header. Try popping the key plug out of the connector with a needle instead.
    I thought about that except the "plug" is actually formed into the header. It would have to be punched through which isn't something I'm willing to resort to... yet.

Edit: Re-reading that, I'm probably using the term "Header" wrong here. I'm talking about the female end of the front panel connection.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you just bought the card, return it, lack of attention to detail and lack of response to your email are telling you something

look into a better card

10+ Year Old Account
    What confuses me here is this...

This image is the one from HTOmega's website. Notice the missing "key" pin that matches the HD Audio/AC97 connectors.
    http://www.htomega.com/images/eclaro_pic1.jpg

This image is one from a random other forum of the exact same card. Notice the "key" pin is present here, much like my card. Also, sorry for the URL.
    http://jesusfuck.me/di/QQ2T/ghetto.jpg

I'm going to do some testing with it tonight, but I can't help but wonder if they changed their cards or what...

Quote Originally Posted by -Atlass- View Post
    I lol'd IRL

10+ Year Old Account
    For anyone who runs into the same issue and sees this, last night I just took a needle and punched through the key slot on my front panel connection so the 10th pin (the one I don't think is supposed to be there) would just fit in there since there are no wires connected to it.

Worked like a charm. Not sure what purpose that pin serves (if any) but it wasn't relevant to my setup.