Getting back into WoW

Hello everybody! I started playing WoW during BC and played until Dragon Soul came out during cataclysm. I quit because a good amount of my friends quit and I started having less and less time. Now my friends and I want to get back into the game. I know MoP came out and have looked into the massive amounts of changes so I have a slight idea what to expect. I'm just looking for opinions on what I should do.

1) I need to pick a character to get to 90 first. Right now I have an 85 druid, mage, hunter, shaman, paladin, and priest. I really like the idea of the monk so I may start up one of those. I'm looking for players that main these classes to tell me the pros/cons of the class in respect to PvE.

2) How far behind will I be to become a viable raider either for a guild or LFR if I start leveling now? I know this has a lot to do with my personal skill and time. I'm just wondering if it will take me a long time or not.

Deleted
    "I know this has a lot to do with my personal skill and time. I'm just wondering if it will take me a long time or not. "
    Not any more : the game is more and more time based (dailies required for reps required to buy valor gear, valor gear upgrades).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Do It View Post
    Hello everybody! I started playing WoW during BC and played until Dragon Soul came out during cataclysm. I quit because a good amount of my friends quit and I started having less and less time. Now my friends and I want to get back into the game. I know MoP came out and have looked into the massive amounts of changes so I have a slight idea what to expect. I'm just looking for opinions on what I should do.

1) I need to pick a character to get to 90 first. Right now I have an 85 druid, mage, hunter, shaman, paladin, and priest. I really like the idea of the monk so I may start up one of those. I'm looking for players that main these classes to tell me the pros/cons of the class in respect to PvE.

2) How far behind will I be to become a viable raider either for a guild or LFR if I start leveling now? I know this has a lot to do with my personal skill and time. I'm just wondering if it will take me a long time or not.
    I will help you off as best as I can. Druids depending on spec is besides utility, not the greatest atm.

Mages (I lvled one myself, i find them very boring) is very strong PvE dps wise. Shamans dps spec is "middle/low end" and healing spec is decent. I feel like Rshamans often depend alot on the healers, as the difference between a bad and a good is insane.
    Hunters have loads of utility, which makes them a great raid spot, however middle/low on dmg.
    Paladins. Ret is better than earlier, yet still not the best melee spec, Prot Pala is in my opnion the best tank (Duo to easier 2 heal in 10 man w/ Battle Healer Glyph), and Holy is great.
    Disc priests are super overpowered, and shadow is ok.

Monks are well. Different. I am not sure how the buffed WW will be on charts, but before patch they weren't that great. Brewmasters is a great tank, if the player is good (Depends alot on player skill), and Mistweaver just got nerfed - so low end of the healer pack now.

2) It will take some time. Gear scales extremelly well, and you can use your whole week getting upgrades/points for those.

However, it all depends on how long/how much time you push into it.

First you need to get 440 ilvl, which is easy from AH or/and finishing Dread Wastes.

LFR is 460 ilvl, which is achived by spamming heroics. Not that bad.

LFR have 5 zones, 2 which drops 476, and 3 which drops 483. Great way to get loot. 15% chance to get a item pr boss.

You can do raids (start with) from 463 ilvl, but the more you have, the easiesr it will be.

If you do dailys, you get valor points and coins. 90 coins = 3 free (15% rolls) on either LFR or boss kills, for an extra item. Valor can 1. be used to buy some 489 items, or upgrade items. I would vote for the second option, if you are raiding normals, and the first option if you only do LFR:

PvP gear is also great in PvE as starters, so can do that for gear too.

All in all, I used 1 week (With luck), in second week of expansion to get from 440-476 ilvl. However, it might take you alot more time to get this.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Do It View Post
    Hahahahaha... Oh you're serious? Ok there are some things you need to prepare first:

1) Buy a mini fridge, fill it with refrigerated goods and set it up in arms reach next to your computer. I suggest snacks and energy drinks, or coffee.
    2) Buy a microwave, put it on top of the mini fridge.
    3) Get a bladder bag and catheter set up on yourself, set the bag somewhere your chair won't run over it. You do have a rolling chair right?
    4) Cut a hole in the bottom of your rolling chair, and secure a poopy pan under your seat. Make sure you at least have toilet paper. Don't play with pants on either, it will get in the way of your catheter and being able to poop while engaged in the game.
    5) Your entire setup needs to be next to a window, or a window behind you. This is for when your poopy pan or bladder bag get full, dump out window. Spray frebreze around an upon yourself. Don't forget the armpits. Baby wipes work miracles for this.
    6) If you're a smoker, make sure you get a few packs and use a gatorade bottle or something for ashing. Make sure you at least get a fan, to blow smoke out the window. Dump cigarette butts out the window if it gets full, it can grow mold if moistened by leftover gatorade and left to sit too long.
    7) A huge leg up would be a rolling chair that reclines, allowing you to sleep right there. Keep an alarm clock nearby to wake up up in 6 hours, you can supplement 2 with energy drinks before or after.
    8) Make sure you are drinking or eating salty things as well, not just water or sugar drinks. Salt helps keep you hydrated. I use gatorade.
    9) Water is what you need the most of, so buy a couple packs of spring water and set next to your fridge. Always stand up to stretch as well every couple hours. Also I suggest masturbating on demand whenever you feel the urge, at least a couple times a day, to get your blood pumping in an active state so as to supplement actual exercise. Never ignore masturbation, use toilet paper, throw out window.
    10) Hopefully with all these preparations in place you can actually begin playing the game! Play it hard! Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by gurv View Post
    "I know this has a lot to do with my personal skill and time. I'm just wondering if it will take me a long time or not. "
    Not any more : the game is more and more time based (dailies required for reps required to buy valor gear, valor gear upgrades).
    You're both right.. Technically you have to have more time to buy better gear, but, that still doesnt mean you're a good enough player to progress in raids.

And OP. I can honestly say, Monks are fairly quick to level especially if you have heirlooms, since they get the quest for 50% bonus exp at level 20, and every 10 levels after that. aswell as a daily, which stacks for a bonus of 50% exp for 2 hours per day, if you get 10 levels per day, that is.

Either way, Im not making any recommendations to classes to play as i dont have experience with all of them, what i will say though, is think about what class you enjoyed playing before, and maybe do a few of the starting quests with that class (or a dungeon or two) and then decide what you want to play yourself. Its probably going to be better than somebody giving a biased response to your question.