Poll: Which would you live without?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

If you had to live without one of the following for a year -

I would choose Option #1. I could just ride a bike around or walk, and in the wintertime I could just bundle up and buy a couple electric heaters that plug into an outlet as my furnace and fireplace would be rendered useless. I would also have no hot water as my water heater is also powered by gas, but that’s not too big of a deal, because I could boil water on the stove and clean dishes in the sink. I would also eventually get used to cold showers.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-11-28 at 09:43 AM.

So without fossil fuels would you be able to buy things that are brought to your local stores with fossil fuels?

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So without fossil fuels would you be able to buy things that are brought to your local stores with fossil fuels?
    No, no access at all to any fossil fuels or combustible gases.

Well lets see. I live in a large city so I'd have no access to food. I live in the northern part of the US and I doubt I could survive the winter without heat. So I guess I might smell bad, but I'd have to do without running water and purchase bottled water in stores. I could heat it up and give myself sponge baths I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't a large amount of electricity produced through the burning of coal (a fossil fuel) or something of the sort?

Without consideration of that question, I'd be stuck on what to give up. I use gas a lot as I deliver pizza, I use electricity a lot as I'm always on my comp or with some electronic gizmo... out of the three I probably use water the least (restroom needs and shower/shave). I'd probably go with that and buy multi-gallon jugs of it for my hygienic needs. The woodsy-area out back could serve just fine for a nature-filled restroom.

Deleted
    Combustible gasses and fuel, easily. I don't need them at all even now. I go everywhere by foot or use public transport (which runs on electricity) so I wouldn't even notice missing it. As for running water, never, I can't imagine living without taking showers, being unable to wash my hands or dishes and other things like that but without power, oh dear god.. never.

10+ Year Old Account
    A, i live close enough to 2 towns to walk to them to get food and such, and i have a wood fireplace and a electric stove.
    I'd torture a thousand souls just to see her smile.

Plastic comes from fossil fuels... do we lose plastic as well?

The poll is really easy for me since i only use the Subway and i could use the electric train to travel to most parts of my country. The price of Electricity will sky rocket at first, but i think it's manageable compared to losing water or electricity.

I chose running water, because I have spent time outside of the civilized world and it is much easier to give up than electricity and a quick means of transportation.
    (assuming you have a nearby source of fresh water which I do)

Though I could see someone living in a very crowded city choosing to give up Fossil fuels.

As for Electricity that is essential to everyone here's internet viewing habits and the only reason anyone would like to see a indefinite global power outage is because they know it would have a severe impact on just about every aspect of human life.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    I chose running water, because I have spent time outside of the civilized world and it is much easier to give up than electricity and a quick means of transportation.
    (assuming you have a nearby source of fresh water which I do)

Though I could see someone living in a very crowded city choosing to give up Fossil fuels.

As for Electricity that is essential to everyone here's internet viewing habits and the only reason anyone would like to see a indefinite global power outage is because they know it would have a severe impact on just about every aspect of human life.
    How could you give up Fossil Fuels in a city? OP said that you wouldn't be able to buy food brought to the store by fossil fuels. Unless you already have an electric car and can get out to a farmers market, you are in deep doodoo if you give up fossil fuels in a city.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would give up the fossil fuels/gasses.

Have a electric stove, it doesn't get that cold here that i can't give up heating so all i would miss is the car which is easily solved by bycicle or electric bus. I also live near farmers so hardly ever go to the stores as it is.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Running water for sho

1. Fuck showering!
    2. Pee/turds I can do from my blacony!
    3. Save water, drink beer!

15+ Year Old Account
    OK.
    #3 is not a choice. Really, not.
    #2 would be very uncomfortable
    #1 is the only option. I am not directly using a lot of fossils anyways.

Interpreted on a global scale, the only option is also #1. We will have to do it eventually anyway.
    Last edited by Zka; 2012-11-28 at 10:07 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    No, no access at all to any fossil fuels or combustible gases.
    Does that mean anything also produced through the use of fossil fuels is also off limits? Bear in mind that plastics, pesticides (that are used on most of food you buy at the shops) and many many other things you see around your household heavily rely on fossil fuels.

Sadly in this day and age our reliance on fossil fuels are so heavily engrained in our day to day lives, if they were to suddenly and instantly dry up, the world would be crippled.

You guys have to remember that like the OP said earlier in the thread, no fossil fuels/combustible gases means that stuff you'd walk to the store to buy that might have been brought in via transportation using said fuels would also not be there.

OT: I'd probably go without the gas/fossil fuels honestly. I walk or ride a bike everywhere I go as is.

Deleted
    I need to shower everyday. I'm not a super hygiene freak, but it just feels icky if I go to bed before bathing at all that day. So, losing that would be out of the question for me. The others are secondary really. I'd probably ditch the fossil fuels and hope to get solar/wind power implemented on a national scale sharpish!

10+ Year Old Account
    For me: All Combustible Gases + Fossil Fuels

Finally a great incentive to get off of my lazy fat ass and use my bike more
    Quote Originally Posted by The Troll Rogue View Post
    You guys have to remember that like the OP said earlier in the thread, no fossil fuels/combustible gases means that stuff you'd walk to the store to buy that might have been brought in via transportation using said fuels would also not be there.
    Seeing there are tons of farmers peddling their wares at the door from time to time, it wouldn't be that big of a problem for me to take my bike over there and get some stuff

Also I have a really huge backyard. I'll just tell my girlfriend to do some farming. I bet she'd actually like that
    Last edited by Detheavn; 2012-11-28 at 11:30 AM.

I've lived without running water before (moved into a house in the Philippines before the plumbing was installed, for a month or two), it's not that bad. You fill a giant bucket with water every morning/night from the well, use smaller buckets to "take showers", throw buckets of water in the toilet and it makes it flush.

Running water is definitely easy to live without. Just try it and you'd see.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Taking to the extreme though and you would have to give up all farm produced food. Surely there are no farmers that produce crops without tractors, combines etc?

15+ Year Old Account
    Technically speaking, pure Oxygen is a combustible gas. However, with our current atmospheric setup, in the amount available to us, is not. But, taking this literally, running water. I'm more than capable of using one of the rivers or lakes near me should I need, but also have the availability of bottled water. Also, in terms of using the restroom, does an Uggor shit in the woods? In this case, gladly.