10+ Year Old Account

Question Addon for Old Tooltips

In 5.1 blizzard changed the default tool tip. Is there an addon that can change the appearance back to the old pre 5.1 days.

thanks.
    Hi

Deleted
    I aswell could kill for an addon that brings back the clean and sorted look on item tooltips.

Deleted
    I'll look into whether you can make this later.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 10:23 AM ----------

Anyone has screenshots of the old item tooltips lying around?

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 10:32 AM ----------

I'm not sure yet whether I can just replace the "+X Critical Strike" with "Equip: Increases your critical strike rating by X." or whether I have to regenerate the whole thing.

In case I have to regenerate - here's what I've got (from memory) layout-wise, but I'm still not sure where exactly things like "Unique" or similar fit. Also, I could be making mistakes here, so please point them out if I do.
    Code:
    Quality colored item name
    Item subtext, if any
    Binds on X
    Slot                         Type
    Damage range           Weapon Speed
    (DPS value)
    Armor
    Primary stats
    Stamina
    Durability
    Classes
    Requires Level X
    Green text for secondary stats ("Equip: Increases your X by Y.")
    Green text for additional effects ("Equip: Your spells become 100% more awesome.")

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    Anyone has screenshots of the old item tooltips lying around?
    Have a look at the way WoWhead display their tooltips, it's probably the closest to "the real thing" as you can get.

(Not allowed to post screenshots, links or videos or I'd shown you a tooltip.)

Here's a cropped shot that I hope helps. I too hope that there is a way to get the old tooltips back. Maybe it's just comfort, but..... I liked them.

One including the Uniqu-Equiped tag, race, and rep:
    http://i.imgur.com/hdFWF.jpg
    Last edited by Nalnik; 2012-11-29 at 11:41 AM.

Deleted
    After doing some testing, I conclude that it might be possible to somewhat restore the tooltip. However, it would easily conflict with lots and lots of addons and have high potential of tainting - plus it would likely break every new patch.

I don't really think it's worth the effort at this point.

Deleted
    After doing some testing, I conclude that it might be possible to somewhat restore the tooltip. However, it would easily conflict with lots and lots of addons and have high potential of tainting - plus it would likely break every new patch.

Plus, as I saw in the post with a blue, lots of people are complaining about this and it might be reverted.

That's arguable for every addon: "it'll conflict with other addons and easily taint and every patch will break it" - sure, but that doesn't mean it's not worth it. If any addonmaker would be so kind to make this, I'll be one of the first to download, cherish, and praise you.

These new tooltips make 0 sense to me.

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 07:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dalarius View Post
    Plus, as I saw in the post with a blue, lots of people are complaining about this and it might be reverted.
    People are complaining about everything and I honestly doubt it'll be reverted. The change was made to support the new upgrade system - it's not just a simple matter of pressing the "undo" button. So no, I sincerely doubt it'll be reverted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    People are complaining about everything and I honestly doubt it'll be reverted. The change was made to support the new upgrade system - it's not just a simple matter of pressing the "undo" button. So no, I sincerely doubt it'll be reverted.
    The upgrade system could also be added in the old tooltip frame, it's not like it was an hard work as it's still almost written with reforging. If we can mod a tooltip easily by ourselves to put the new upgrade system in the old tooltip style, then it's no hard work for them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    That's arguable for every addon: "it'll conflict with other addons and easily taint and every patch will break it" - sure, but that doesn't mean it's not worth it
    Actually, this one would be quite a lot different from other addons. We're trying to go deep into the tooltip methods here and blanket replace every single SetXItem call for all GameTooltips in the widget type's metatable. This messes with lots of stuff as Blizzard code uses tooltips and might easily get tainted along the way. Also, other tooltip replacement/modification addons are modifying/replacing the functions we're replacing, further messing things up.

I would absolutely love a mod to change my tooltips back to normal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trokko View Post
    Have a look at the way WoWhead display their tooltips, it's probably the closest to "the real thing" as you can get.

(Not allowed to post screenshots, links or videos or I'd shown you a tooltip.)
    WoWhead has changed theirs to the 5.1 format as well :\