Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totikki View Post
    Well I hope he gets raped in jail so his ass gets destroyed.
    For freedom of speech? That's a lovely sentiment. I'm glad you hold no political power. The guy had an opinion that was different than most people with common sense but he did nothing illegal. Maybe invaded her personal space a bit but he made no physical contact. Being an asshole isn't illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    You are in the United States. Have people forgotten we allow hate groups to exist and rally?
    And we shouldn't.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    What about all the children who commit suicide via bullying and verbal abuse?
    Let's jail anyone who ever says anything mean to anyone ever. Now to appoint the "Don't Say Mean things Czar".

Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    And we shouldn't.
    The whole point of freedom of speech is to protect speech you don't like. You don't need Free Speech to protect popular speech, that'd be redundant/stupid. Abolition, women's suffrage, a women's right to choose, the right for workers to unionize, gay rights, and more were all at one time or another considered unpopular and Freedom of speech helped protect those movements. It could have just as easily been shut down if we'd had a more restrictive system that folks like yourself tend to advocate.

Yes there's a downside that we have to suffer people like the WBC, but no matter how much you don't like them they do have a right to say what they say just as much as you have a right to think they're assholes and not listen to them.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2012-11-30 at 10:15 AM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by Kio View Post
    Weak willed individuals who probably wouldn't have helped society in any meaningful way anyway.
    So what will YOU do if your kid gets bullied and commits suicide? Write them off as a weak individual that "probably wouldn't have helped society in any meaningful way anyway"?

What about all the children who commit suicide via bullying and verbal abuse?
    how's throwing people in jail going to solve that? we're never going to have the money or spaces to throw every person who mocks another person into jail, so maybe we should put our money into training and education instead of prisons, the prison solution is never going to work.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

10+ Year Old Account
    The solution isn't to shelter them, but teach them to deal with the problem. The world has no obligation to coddle you from cradle to grave.
    In order to want to commit suicide the bullying has to be extremely harsh and last over long periods of time, we're talking about years of verbel abuse. Saying "man up" does not reply.

People don't kill themselves because they were called a poopyhead once.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    So what will YOU do if your kid gets bullied and commits suicide? Write them off as a weak individual that "probably wouldn't have helped society in any meaningful way anyway"?
    I would probably ask myself why I couldn't help my own child to not commit suicide.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    That's the international version from the U.N. which is not real law.
    And yet here we have a case in Ohio in which very similar reasoning was used

Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    how's throwing people in jail going to solve that? we're never going to have the money or spaces to throw every person who mocks another person into jail, so maybe we should put our money into training and education instead of prisons, the prison solution is never going to work.
    Only 20 something days, just enough to teach asshats a lesson.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I'm saying that the United States values freedom of speech in all its forms. When you allow the state to block one form because it hurts your feelings, you're giving the state license to decide what is and is not acceptable.
    Your right to freedom of speech stops when it goes over other peoples rights.

Last I checked the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the international human rights laws applied to the United States. So no, you are no exception to this rule.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    Let's jail anyone who ever says anything mean to anyone ever. Now to appoint the "Don't Say Mean things Czar".
    I was replying to how Laize feels as though free speech causes no harm. Where did I mention people should serve prison terms?

What he did was horrible, and I don't condone it in any way, but...isn't this stuff covered under the 1st amendment?

Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    And we shouldn't.
    I'm not comfortable with the government dictating what is and is not an acceptable idea to spread. Once you allow the government to tell you you're not allowed to criticize people you open a precedent allowing it to tell you you're not allowed to criticize political parties.

Deleted
    You are in the United States. Have people forgotten we allow hate groups to exist and rally?
    I'm actually in Sweden but we have the same law here, and as shown by others your law also has the same basic restriction of not allowing you to be an ass to other people.

Freedom of speech is primarily to give everyone the right to have their own opinion about something, believe it or not but that is and has been illegal in some parts of the world.
    Last edited by mmoce2fa46bcbe; 2012-11-30 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typo

We don't, actually. The groups that are well known and are allowed to rally are very careful in their language, because the first amendment specifically excludes Hate Speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    Your right to freedom of speech stops when it goes over other peoples rights.

Last I checked the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the international human rights laws applied to the United States. So no, you are no exception to this rule.
    Lol wut? Whose rights are violated by this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    That's the international version from the U.N. which is not real law.
    *sigh*

Yes, yes it is. But the United States is signed on the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which means the basis of it still applies to you.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Why is it that people who clearly have no idea what Free Speech actually entitles you to are always the first to claim it?

I was replying to how Laize feels as though free speech causes no harm. Where did I mention people should serve prison terms?
    my apologies if i misunderstood what you were saying, but you're in a thread about a person going to jail for mocking somebody so that's what it seemed like you were arguing for.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson