Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Egypt Approves New Draft Constitution, Protests Ensue

Egypt has approved a new draft constitution hastily put together in order to avoid dissolution by the country's judiciary. Among other things, the new constitution empowers the presidency further while weakening the judiciary significantly and removing judges critical of the Muslim Brotherhood. It also specifically removed language intending to establish the equality of women, and strengthened the Islamist influence in lawmaking.

More than 100,000 Egyptians took to the streets to protest the new constitution. Could we have a new round of revolts?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/30/wo...uick-vote.html
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/11...-constitution/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-20558185
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Not my country, I don't really care how they choose to govern themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Creating a constitution based on a dying philosophy. I see this going places.

I don't understand how this is possible. If I was part of the judiciary, I would just stop doing my job in protest.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Will we see Obama and friends coming out in support of the protestors this time when Egyptian freedom is REALLY on the line? I suspect not. Anyone with half a brain could see the fall of Mubarak bringing a new sunni/salafist islamic dictatorship. Persecution of Copts is about to skyrocket and they will likely be forced to leave the country or face varying states of violence. It's a real shame, because those in Egypt who really want peace and an open society were ignored by the media/powers that be in the west while the islamists took power. You can bet the Muslim Brotherhood will be far more brutal towards opposition protestors than Mubarak was. Mubarak, while definitely a dictator, never released the military to slaughter the opposing protestors. The MoBros won't care because they view the pro-democracy protestors as infidels.

Did anyone really expect good things when they took power?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why do country's with a muslim population keep insisting on Sharia-law style constitutions? Well my question basicly answers itself actually, but the protests must mean something :/

Maybe western civilization (read western, not American only) should stop tolerating those country's medieval laws just because they got that black juice.
    ∞=0
    0/2 = 0 , ∞/2 = ∞
    2/0 = error , 2/∞ = error
    0*2 = 0 , ∞*2 = ∞

Honestly, things are not looking like they will be much different than they were under Mubarak. Something needs to be done to prevent this.

Egypt is always a topic for a couple good laughs when it comes up while in the bar here. Seriously going from some form of dictatorship to a non secular party.
    Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    It's a real shame, because those in Egypt who really want peace and an open society were ignored by the media/powers that be in the west while the islamists took power.
    Well sucks to be the minority I suppose !
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2012-11-30 at 05:04 PM.

Egypt is falling victim to the 'power vacuum' and I fear we are seeing the rise of a new dictatorship there.

Deleted
    I don't know or understand anything about this.

But it sounds bad!

Deleted
    Looks like they've swapped one tyrant for another. Hope these protests actually get somewhere for the sake of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Will we see Obama and friends coming out in support of the protestors this time when Egyptian freedom is REALLY on the line? I suspect not. Anyone with half a brain could see the fall of Mubarak bringing a new sunni/salafist islamic dictatorship. Persecution of Copts is about to skyrocket and they will likely be forced to leave the country or face varying states of violence. It's a real shame, because those in Egypt who really want peace and an open society were ignored by the media/powers that be in the west while the islamists took power. You can bet the Muslim Brotherhood will be far more brutal towards opposition protestors than Mubarak was. Mubarak, while definitely a dictator, never released the military to slaughter the opposing protestors. The MoBros won't care because they view the pro-democracy protestors as infidels.

Did anyone really expect good things when they took power?
    Actually Mubarak did release the military. thats what the recent trials of him was about. However, most military members did not take action against the protesters, since military is full of lower class of egyptian society.

---------- Post added 2012-11-30 at 12:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RüneRS View Post
    Why do country's with a muslim population keep insisting on Sharia-law style constitutions? Well my question basicly answers itself actually, but the protests must mean something :/

Maybe western civilization (read western, not American only) should stop tolerating those country's medieval laws just because they got that black juice.
    Western nations should mind its own damn business. Their laws do not impact us in any way.

---------- Post added 2012-11-30 at 12:53 PM ----------

we will have to watch and see where it leads. Remember despite these protests, the new government do have majority support. Just because some people are not happy with the government, does not make the government illgemate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Actually Mubarak did release the military. thats what the recent trials of him was about. However, most military members did not take action against the protesters, since military is full of lower class of egyptian society.

Western nations should mind its own damn business. Their laws do not impact us in any way.

we will have to watch and see where it leads. Remember despite these protests, the new government do have majority support. Just because some people are not happy with the government, does not make the government illgemate.
    Yeah, the elections may have been legitimate, but this is being done in a time period where they're determining their constitution, which means that if the minorities don't get to have input now, they never will. That's not a good recipe for success in a country.

Quote Originally Posted by RüneRS View Post
    What can we really do about it, though? The only way for there to be significant, lasting change is for the people themselves to do it. And that's not something that can be done by force.

Deleted
    It was never going to be easy. I was quite surprised that Mubarak gave in at the time, Bashar Assad has shown no sign of folding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    What can we really do about it, though? The only way for there to be significant, lasting change is for the people themselves to do it. And that's not something that can be done by force.
    Agreed. It would be silly for the west to get involved. They need to work this out on their own, but that doesn't mean we can't have a real interest in watching. I'd really like to be able to see the Pyramids someday.

---------- Post added 2012-11-30 at 07:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rainiothon View Post
    It was never going to be easy. I was quite surprised that Mubarak gave in at the time, Bashar Assad has shown no sign of folding.
    I think he's getting close. The rebels have cut off the capital from the airport, and are looking like they may be laying siege to Damascus soon.

That said, I have a feeling the political powers that take his place in Syria are going to be a worse deal than what's going on in Egypt.

Seems like for every Egyptian opposed to Dictator Mursi, there are 10 who support him. Muslims have a higher average level of religiosity than followers of other faiths, and many will blindly approve anything perceived to be Islamic.

It's hard to ignore the parallels between this and Iran circa 1979... for the kids on the board who aren't aware, Iran used to be a pretty progressive nation before the Islamic revolution. It seems clear to us in the west that separation of religion and government is the path forward, but their holy text tells them otherwise, and no amount of real world evidence can shake the faith of true believers.
    What the world needs is Lesshammad.

africa is just screwed up from top to bottom. how can a whole continent be that bad. even south america has some decent spots

10+ Year Old Account
    I could be wrong on this, but it was my understanding that it's not so much that the Muslim Brotherhood has an overwhelming majority of people voting for them. It's that all the other factions aren't united enough to stand against them. Can someone who's a bit more knowledgable about the situation clarify whether or not that's correct?

---------- Post added 2012-11-30 at 07:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    africa is just screwed up from top to bottom. how can a whole continent be that bad. even south america has some decent spots
    South America has a lot of "decent" spots. I loved Lima, Peru. I quite liked Santa Cruz de la Sierra, in Bolivia, and Brazil is one of the largest economies in the world.

When we criticize these events and decisions, we do not act on a nationalist basis. We act as individuals. So don't say I should mind my own business.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure they do. I'd like to see the pyramids someday. Their laws can have an effect on that. I work for a seismic exploration company that has done work in Egypt. Until they get their issues sorted out, we can't do any work there. Even if it is sorted out, their laws may end up making it difficult for us to do work there.

It's crazy to think that the whole world isn't interconnected in this age and that the events in other parts of the world don't impact us. They do.