Thread: New gaming rig

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New gaming rig

So I've been given the chance to buy a new gaming rig. I've had this gaming laptop for around 2 years, but it just doesn't cut it with a 1920x1080 resolution monitor connected to it you know.

The performance went down the drain and I'm now looking for a new gaming rig primarily for WoW on high settings, GW2 on on highsettings with 60~ fps while PvPing AND for games like CoD: Black Ops II and any future high quality games.

I will also try go livestream in the future (I know the chance of becoming big on livestreams is nearly impossible, but It'd be something I would do for fun anyways).

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/P...W_Xtreme_3000/

This is the computer I'm looking at right now. I've seen Sodapoppin use this gaming PC on his recent livestream and he was running his livestream at 1080p with 200 FPS in WoW.

I don't care much about the livestreaming part, but I just want to be able to have a computer that will still be able to run games at a good FPS even in 2-4 years.

Edit:

With the help of the people who posted here I'm going for this current set-up:
    http://www.alternate.nl/html/product.../?tk=7&lk=4850
    http://www.alternate.nl/html/product.../?event=search
    http://www.alternate.nl/html/product.../?tk=7&lk=3865
    http://www.alternate.nl/html/product.../?tk=7&lk=3944

Any additional tips/suggestions are welcome still, but as it is right now I'll be going with this build. (My budget was 1500-1600 euros)
    Last edited by Terahertz; 2012-12-04 at 02:54 PM.

Lot of wasted money on that one.

- X79 processor+motherboard does not bring anything real to gaming except higher pricetag
    - Water cooler for a processor that has very limited overclocking capabilities?
    - $200 for video capture card you don't need unless you plan to capture from PS3/X360
    - No-name crap PSU
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    So I've been given the chance to buy a new gaming rig. I've had this gaming laptop for around 2 years, but it just doesn't cut it with a 1920x1080 resolution monitor connected to it you know.

The performance went down the drain and I'm now looking for a new gaming rig primarily for WoW on high settings, GW2 on on highsettings with 60~ fps while PvPing AND for games like CoD: Black Ops II and any future high quality games.

I will also try go livestream in the future (I know the chance of becoming big on livestreams is nearly impossible, but It'd be something I would do for fun anyways).

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/P...W_Xtreme_3000/

This is the computer I'm looking at right now. I've seen Sodapoppin use this gaming PC on his recent livestream and he was running his livestream at 1080p with 200 FPS in WoW.

I don't care much about the livestreaming part, but I just want to be able to have a computer that will still be able to run games at a good FPS even in 2-4 years.
    overpriced for the performance you are getting, building self an option at all? (or perhaps relative/local techshop?)

That seems a bit steep of a price for a pc with a non OC cpu with watercooler completely pointless. a no name PSU, only a 128gb ssd, and a WD cav blue. and only a gtx670. You could build a rig with a i53570k/z77 mobo and get a 7970ghz or a 680 and a 256gb ssd and named psu brand for less than that id say.

SSD Crucial M4 256Gb
    Cooling Corsair H100i
    CPU i5 3570k
    Mobo Asrock Z77extreme4
    Ram Crosair Vengeance 2x4gb lp 1600mhz
    PSU Seasonic 520w modular
    GPU Sapphire 7970ghz
    HDD WD Cav Black 1Tb
    Case Corsair Carbide 400r
    Asus DVD burner

Total ~$1500

You could even replace the PSU in this build with a gold+ certified but the 520 would run everything fine and is perfectly reliable and this computer would dominate for ~$300 cheaper.
    Last edited by demonskies; 2012-11-30 at 07:26 PM.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Lot of wasted money on that one.

- X79 processor+motherboard does not bring anything real to gaming except higher pricetag
    - Water cooler for a processor that has very limited overclocking capabilities?
    - $200 for video capture card you don't need unless you plan to capture from PS3/X360
    - No-name crap PSU
    The capture card did seem a bit overkill, I agree.
    Though the watercooler, aren't they pretty much necessary for any gaming PC? Just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    overpriced for the performance you are getting, building self an option at all? (or perhaps relative/local techshop?)
    I could build my own PC I think, but I'm not so much an expert on building computers. Also, the local computer shop basically scammed my father out of 200 euros before, so we don't really trust that shop anymore :S

Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    That seems a bit steep of a price for a pc with a non OC cpu with watercooler completely pointless. a no name PSU, only a 128gb ssd, and a WD cav blue. and only a gtx670. You could build a rig with a i53570k/z77 mobo and get a 7970ghz or a 680 and a 256gb ssd and named psu brand for less than that id say.

SSD Crucial M4 256Gb
    Cooling Corsair H100i
    CPU i5 3570k
    Mobo Asrock Z77extreme4
    Ram Crosair Vengeance 2x4gb lp 1600mhz
    PSU Seasonic 520w modular
    GPU Sapphire 7970ghz
    HDD WD Cav Black 1Tb
    Case Corsair Carbide 400r
    Asus DVD burner

Total ~$1500

You could even replace the PSU in this build with a gold+ certified but the 520 would run everything fine and is perfectly reliable and this computer would dominate for ~$300 cheaper.
    Hmm, I never heard of any of those PC parts, basically shows how much I know of computers. Not. xD

Are you sure though, a PC like that will be able to run heavy quality games in the future at 60 FPS in heavy animation situations? I really don't want to waste any money, because I'll most likely have to live with my new PC for quite some time.

I also forgot to say what my budget is. My budget is around €1800.

I just want a computer that will last long while also giving the best performance for the money Ill pay.

@demonskies which graphics card would you recommend me actually? The AMD radeon one or an nvidia 680 one? I've always used nvidia graphic cards, so this would be my best different branch graphic card :P

Oh, and would there be a better/equal variant of Mobo Asrock Z77extreme4? And will I be able to upgrade the PC you set up in the future?
    Last edited by Terahertz; 2012-11-30 at 08:32 PM.

Though the watercooler, aren't they pretty much necessary for any gaming PC? Just wondering
    Only if you live in a location where temperatures go often over 30C during summers for several weeks non-stop, don't think Netherlands still qualify until few more decades of greenhouse effect.

High quality air cooler is fine even for midrange overclocking, and the air cooler that Intel ships with the socket2011 processors is actually pretty good and can handle even small OC.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    well you could also get it build by alternate for 50 euro iirc, got any specific wishes in regards to storage? (also what local tech shop?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Only if you live in a location where temperatures go often over 30C during summers for several weeks non-stop, don't think Netherlands still qualify until few more decades of greenhouse effect.

High quality air cooler is fine even for midrange overclocking, and the air cooler that Intel ships with the socket2011 processors is actually pretty good and can handle even small OC.
    It sometimes gets hot in the Netherlands, but that's really rare. And if it gets too hot, I'll just get my fan xDD

I'm also wondering if I'm able to attach a second graphics card to the motherboard demonskies recommended me. I'm still open to any additional suggestions though! I just want the best bang for my buck... or whatever the saying is ;D

Deleted
    It sometimes gets hot in the Netherlands, but that's really rare. And if it gets too hot, I'll just get my fan xDD

I'm also wondering if I'm able to attach a second graphics card to the motherboard demonskies recommended me. I'm still open to any additional suggestions though! I just want the best bang for my buck... or whatever the saying is ;D
    cmon like it ever gets hot over here xD
    the SLI part is more an option for the future for next gen games or atleast i don't know anything a gtx670/680 can't run maxed out.(1080p that is)
    something like this perhaps?

Mijn Configuratie
    € 1.667,29*
    » Detail overzicht

CPUs Koelers
    Noctua NH-D14
    Dual fan, PWM Y-kabel 1 x € 74,90*
    Grafische kaarten NVIDIA PCIe
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature 2 (02G-P4-2687-KR)
    2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, SLI 1 x € 519,-*
    Software Besturingssystemen
    Microsoft Windows 8 64-Bit
    Nederlands 1 x € 79,90*
    Voedingen
    Corsair TX650M
    2x PCIe, Kabel-Management, Zwart 1 x € 99,90*
    Behuizingen Midi Tower
    Corsair Vengeance C70
    Wit/Zwart 1 x € 137,90*
    DVD-reWriters Serial-ATA
    Samsung SH-222BB
    Zwart 1 x € 18,99*
    Solid State Drive 2,5 inch SATA
    Corsair CSSD-F240GB3-BK
    SATA/600, Force3 Series, MLC, TRIM 1 x € 174,90*
    Moederborden Socket 1155
    ALTERNATE Upgrade Kit GigaByte GA-Z77X-D3H/i5-3570K/8GB
    Moederbord, CPU, Geheugen 1 x € 374,-*
    Harddisks 3,5 inch SATA
    Western Digital WD20EARX
    SATA 600, Green 2 x € 93,90*

small mistake took double WD 2tb green for storage :P (4tb is kinda overkill , you can take 1 smaller drive instead if you wanna go frapsing)
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2012-11-30 at 09:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    well you could also get it build by alternate for 50 euro iirc, got any specific wishes in regards to storage? (also what local tech shop?)
    heh, I specifically looked after I posted the post below this post if somebody else besides vesseblah responded, didn't see this reply :S

When it comes to storage, I got my own external hard drive. It's 2 TB so I should have enough. The tech shop I was talking about was MyCom (it was called Fobis before) but they did a terrible job with my fathers previous self-made computer.

cmon like it ever gets hot over here xD
    the SLI part is more an option for the future for next gen games or atleast i don't know anything a gtx670/680 can't run maxed out.(1080p that is)
    something like this perhaps?

Mijn Configuratie
    € 1.667,29*
    » Detail overzicht

CPUs Koelers
    Noctua NH-D14
    Dual fan, PWM Y-kabel 1 x € 74,90*
    Grafische kaarten NVIDIA PCIe
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature 2 (02G-P4-2687-KR)
    2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, SLI 1 x € 519,-*
    Software Besturingssystemen
    Microsoft Windows 8 64-Bit
    Nederlands 1 x € 79,90*
    Voedingen
    Corsair TX650M
    2x PCIe, Kabel-Management, Zwart 1 x € 99,90*
    Behuizingen Midi Tower
    Corsair Vengeance C70
    Wit/Zwart 1 x € 137,90*
    DVD-reWriters Serial-ATA
    Samsung SH-222BB
    Zwart 1 x € 18,99*
    Solid State Drive 2,5 inch SATA
    Corsair CSSD-F240GB3-BK
    SATA/600, Force3 Series, MLC, TRIM 1 x € 174,90*
    Moederborden Socket 1155
    ALTERNATE Upgrade Kit GigaByte GA-Z77X-D3H/i5-3570K/8GB
    Moederbord, CPU, Geheugen 1 x € 374,-*
    Harddisks 3,5 inch SATA
    Western Digital WD20EARX
    SATA 600, Green 2 x € 93,90*

small mistake took double WD 2tb green for storage :P (4tb is kinda overkill , you can take 1 smaller drive instead if you wanna go frapsing)
    What website did you put the above computer together? And what are your thoughts about Win8? I thought I heard somebody say it ran more efficient, is that true?

Deleted
    Meh, i wouldnt go with alternate. They are pretty expensive, and i had a friend buy a pre build from them. And it was pretty messy, even had to go back because there was something wrong.

You should check out tweakers.net, and than the pricewatch for cheapest prices. Good shops are, afuture and cdromland. I havent used their building option (they make it), but i think cdromland should do a good job.

7970ghz vs 680

OP your best bet would be to check out the benchmarks between both cards and make an educated decision based on the games you play and what not. Neither the 680 or 7970ghz is a bad choice. Either one you will be able to play games on with no problem. On average tho nvidia tends to be a little more expensive. As you can see in the benchmarks both cards are fairly close in performance.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    7970ghz vs 680

OP your best bet would be to check out the benchmarks between both cards and make an educated decision based on the games you play and what not. Neither the 680 or 7970ghz is a bad choice. Either one you will be able to play games on with no problem. On average tho nvidia tends to be a little more expensive. As you can see in the benchmarks both cards are fairly close in performance.
    Thanks for that comparison. I'll be going with the 7970 because I think it'll be best for playing games in general. What about livestreaming btw? Has anyone gotten experience with those two graphic cards and know which one is probably better for livestreaming purposes?

Deleted
    both cards are mare then capable for livestreaming, you will be more dependant on connection speed/good software.(your original build used a 670, SLI/CF are overkill for the time being)
    perhaps because i live close to alternate but atleast they always take an RMA request serious, they are also one of the few places with every piece in stock/biggest selection of stuff.
    (that mobo/cpu/ram bundle is pretty neat priced)
    in regards to wow i would pick a nvidia card over a ati one since nvidia is still optimized better for wow.
    if you have to pick a new OS no reason to not get W8, its cheaper and with some simple mods you can make it look exactly like W7 but still get the small performance gain of W8.

10+ Year Old Account
    both cards are mare then capable for livestreaming, you will be more dependant on connection speed/good software.(your original build used a 670, SLI/CF are overkill for the time being)
    perhaps because i live close to alternate but atleast they always take an RMA request serious, they are also one of the few places with every piece in stock/biggest selection of stuff.
    (that mobo/cpu/ram bundle is pretty neat priced)
    in regards to wow i would pick a nvidia card over a ati one since nvidia is still optimized better for wow.
    if you have to pick a new OS no reason to not get W8, its cheaper and with some simple mods you can make it look exactly like W7 but still get the small performance gain of W8.
    Aye, I looked up the amd 7970 ghz GPU and it seems it also requires more cooling and that it makes more noice than the 680. Will probably go for the 680 instead because my desktop will generally be close to me.

Should I just buy the parts on newegg? Do they deliver in Holland?

EDIT: Nvm @ above, I'm confused already. I was looking on this website called tomshardware.co.uk and it said that the 670 is actually better than the 680? How is that possible? One of the posts on there also said the 680 run games faster on 1920x1080 than the 7970 ghz will...
    Last edited by Terahertz; 2012-12-01 at 12:40 PM.

Should I just buy the parts on newegg? Do they deliver in Holland?
    Nope. No major retailers in the USA delivers to EU, and even if you find a store that does, you get slapped with extortion level shipping fees and extra 30% import taxes on top of the price+shipping.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. No major retailers in the USA delivers to EU, and even if you find a store that does, you get slapped with extortion level shipping fees and extra 30% import taxes on top of the price+shipping.
    Damn it... then idk where to buy the parts for a PC :/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    You should check out tweakers.net, and than the pricewatch for cheapest prices. Good shops are, afuture and cdromland. I havent used their building option (they make it), but i think cdromland should do a good job.
    As for the sound/cooling of the 7970 GHz. Is that by any chance a reference model? You can better search for reviews of specific cards, especially for cooling

Deleted
    Damn it... then idk where to buy the parts for a PC :/
    http://www.alternate.nl/html/index.html awesome webshop they got pretty big inventory and very good instore tech support if needed. (you can either order just the parts or have them assemble it for you, whichever you prefer)
    also where you live approx? (could help perhaps with assembly if you'd like)
    also yes a gtx 670 is also very powerfull and overclocked can beat a stock 680, this has been some wierd chip issue iirc. (not that any of the 670's owners mind including myself ^^)
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2012-12-01 at 06:33 PM.

Just don't go for the H100i cooler. I thought it was a quite unit but it's even horrible. With the latest firmware which was meant to fix the grinding noise but replaced that noise with a high pitched noise on the fans instead. Lucky it doesn't do that on my other fans >.<