Deleted

Ads turning up in comments

Ads are turning up in what people write:

Last edited by Sunshine; 2012-12-01 at 02:06 AM. Reason: fixed image

10+ Year Old Account
    This is usually the result of adware on your local machine.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Hmm, it doesn't happen on other sites. I'll do a scan with malwarebytes then :O

I have this same issue when I mouse over specific words. It's annoying.

Deleted
    I just did a full scan, and it found nothing. It only happens on mmo-champion aswell. If it was adware, wouldn't it show other places too?

---------- Post added 2012-11-30 at 09:49 PM ----------

I take that back.. Apparently it started just 5 mins before I wrote this, but I got rid of it by doing a system restore. Logs are clean now aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    I just did a full scan, and it found nothing. It only happens on mmo-champion aswell. If it was adware, wouldn't it show other places too?
    I had this happen not too long ago when I installed a certain codec that came with an obnoxious toolbar and adware tooltips. I'm not seeing it on MMOC with Firefox now even with adblock and noscrip disabled, so I suspect this is what you have. Not sure why it would only show here, but it's got to be local or everyone would be seeing it (this also isn't normally the type of ad MMOC runs).

Try another adware scan like spybot or something; maybe Malwarebytes hasn't been updated it yet. You also might check your ad/remove programs (if you're running a Windows OS) to see if there are any surprise programs installed and your Chrome plugins to look for toolbars. The thing I had turned up both places because it wasn't blatantly malicious, although it was a bitch to clean off since it put itself all over the damn place.

(it is good you reported it, in case)

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

May seem obvious since it's so common, but check your plugins and see if there's something installed that you didn't put there yourself. A lot of malware uses a plugin as a point of access. If that's the case, those are pretty easy to remove.

<user folder>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\<random>\contentscript.js

Is the general file directory. Source: http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...AJS%2FTracur.C

If there's still nothing and no other programs can find it, start googling for specific symptoms and see if you can catch it. Malware sucks, heh.

That's on your side homie
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Thanks for the help Everything nice.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Didnt help me. I just got those ads as well...

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a malware issue on your side; there's nothing like this on the site.