Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    hes a idiot for doing this.
    if you didnt pay him on the terms you agreed on, i could understand him, but thats just redicilous. best thing would be going to the police with your lawyer and tell them how it was agreed on and that you buddy is an idiot. if thats sorted out pay him and never speek with him again.

The police are generally pretty good at being able to tell when a report is false. And he'll end up in a world of shit for it, both with the police (it's a big fine) and with his credit card company, because that is fraud, which is also a crime.

You really don't have much to worry about. It'll be annoying and it'll cause you some trouble, but your 'friend' is the one that is completely screwed.

The first thing you should do is go to the police yourself and get it cleared up right away that nothing has been stolen. You should have done that the moment you suspected he'd filed a report.

I don't really care either why what happens to you or him. But I had to log in from work to put my two cents in about people in this thread. HE ISN'T WEEKS BEHIND ON HIS PAYMENTS he said the deal was he would pay every two weeks on his pay day. I don't understand how damage the 5-6 people just from the first page have to be to not understand that. Hes paying on time and he would pay him the third of four payments TODAY seeing as he stated SEVERAL times that he was going to pay him every two weeks..............

10+ Year Old Account
    sounds like a shitty friend tbh

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

You don't really need to worry too much. From what it sounds like you have a massive paper trail (txt messages, calls of him to you and your family) and witnesses who can attest to the fact that the car wasn't stolen but rather leased from him.

The problem might even take care of itself if the cops punish him sufficiently for filing a police report, he might simply back off and not even hound you for the remainder of the loan.

Was your agreement with him oral or in writing? And what was the frequency of payments / penalty for non-payment negotiated for? If you didn't specify those terms, don't even worry about it. Let him try and go to court (which will be small claims court, so no attorney necessary), and make an ass out of himself in front of the judge. They don't like clowns any less than you do.

Main thing to remember is that this is a civil case (like you indicated), and the worst thing that can happen to you is they'll make you pay the remainder of the loan to him in a lump sum immediately. Which, if you stall long enough, won't even be a problem.

Let the problem take care of itself, and do NOT waste money on an attorney, since you will spend more money on him than the car is worth within the first few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackZero View Post
    This is more then likely why you got yourself into deep shit. The mentality you seem to be applying to this situation could be better. Good luck with court.
    I assume he is not under contract. The cop will just have him give the car back.

Quote Originally Posted by proxemics View Post
    HE ISN'T WEEKS BEHIND ON HIS PAYMENTS he said the deal was he would pay every two weeks on his pay day.
    Except that's not what he said in his first post. He only added that later after he got called on it. What he said in the OP was that he paid the second week two weeks ago, and didn't even say if that was on time. Assuming it was, then the third week would have been due a week ago and the fourth week due now. I suspect this is more likely what happened rather than his amended story, but who knows. He needs to pay the guy and get it over with.

15+ Year Old Account
    Report him for insurance fraud.

I bet he'll love to explain why he lied about a car being stolen.

I still have all the text messages saying when I was paying him and the text messages telling him to stop harassing my family, as well as the messages about how much I owe him. He also has them as well and he thinks he can use that to get me in trouble, never mind the fact, he's saying I stole a car that is sitting the rightful dealers lot.

1. Do you have the original deal in writing?
    2. Are you sure that he actually filed a police report and isn't just threatening you?
    3. Why are you only paying 1 week's worth of rental every 2 weeks? I don't entirely understand the arrangement.
    4. You still have to pay him. If he sues he will win and you will owe damages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimpy Mage View Post
    Except that's not what he said in his first post. He only added that later after he got called on it. What he said in the OP was that he paid the second week two weeks ago, and didn't even say if that was on time. Assuming it was, then the third week would have been due a week ago and the fourth week due now. I suspect this is more likely what happened rather than his amended story, but who knows. He needs to pay the guy and get it over with.
    Every two weeks. Not weekly. OP coulda explained it better in the first post, but reading through the thread shows he explained it quite well.

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

Quote Originally Posted by proxemics View Post
    I don't really care either why what happens to you or him. But I had to log in from work to put my two cents in about people in this thread. HE ISN'T WEEKS BEHIND ON HIS PAYMENTS he said the deal was he would pay every two weeks on his pay day. I don't understand how damage the 5-6 people just from the first page have to be to not understand that. Hes paying on time and he would pay him the third of four payments TODAY seeing as he stated SEVERAL times that he was going to pay him every two weeks..............
    Same boat here. Come on people, it's typed out for you. Today is the day he is supposed to pay him, but he is camping the OP's workplace while he is working, and probably hasn't gotten paid yet.

Your friend seems like a weirdo and an ass. Hopefully he gets in some big trouble with that false claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimpy Mage View Post
    You do realize that after paying him there is the little issue of FALSE POLICE REPORTING stating I stole the car right?

My original post

My "friend" rented a car for me ($692) 173 a week. I paid him the first week and 2 weeks ago I paid him the second week cost. Now with half the bill paid he is constantly calling and harrassing me, he's even started calling my family members and trying to get money out of them.
    Where did you gather I am behind from that? I paid him at the beginning the cost for the rental that week and 2 weeks ago the cost for the second week, now I need to pay the 3rd week cost; however, he saying I stole it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristeus View Post
    You do realize that after paying him there is the little issue of FALSE POLICE REPORTING stating I stole the car right?

My original post

Where did you gather I am behind from that? I paid him at the beginning the cost for the rental that week and 2 weeks ago the cost for the second week, now I need to pay the 3rd week cost; however, he saying I stole it.
    I told you exactly how to handle a false police report, as have many in this thread. Sit down and go take care of it. Stop freaking out at people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristeus View Post
    Let me make these points clear again.

I pay him every 2 weeks.

I have not missed a payment

Between last week and this week he filed a police report saying I STOLE A CAR when I didn't steal the car and the car had already been returned to the dealer

I am not paying him anymore because

1) He filed a police report against me saying I stole the car
    2) His credit card company is reimbursing him
    3) He could potentially get me arrested because he claims I stole a car knowing full well no car was stolen.

It's like If I lend you my car and charge you $100 You don't pay the $100 but you returned my car, but I call the cops and said you STOLE it.
    The problem in this is that you had a deal, which you obviously did not respect. Furthermore, I bet you, and mostly, he, never agreed on NOT paying in case of " see the above points stated".
    What you will manage to do in the end, is to get a nice police report, get humiliated in front of everyone , get fined , money taken, and most probably, a good beating afterwards.
    You had an agreement. Nowhere did you inform him you will stop paying in case something happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Filing a false police report is a crime. If you have records of the agreement, then his report is provably false and he can be charged. Depending on the state, it can be a misdemeanor or federal crime.

You're in the position of power here.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    1: Do you have a written contract between the two of you?
    If not, then he can go piss up a tree because legally, he's pretty SOL. The fact that you're paying him back at all, even slowly without a written contract will make you look great in court.
    If you do, what are the terms? Did it state how often and how much the payments you need to pay him are to be? If you're paying him according to the contract, then again, he can go climb a tree because you are conforming to the terms of your legal arrangement. If he's unhappy with the terms, well too bloody bad for him. If you're not conforming to the terms of the agreement, then you're in real bad shape.

2: Do you have a receipt for the return of the rental car? Places that rent cars make damn sure they know where all their cars are, ALL THE TIME. If you have a receipt, go back to the dealer and and check to see if the car was indeed returned and if it's still in their inventory.

3: Filing a police report means jack shit. The police won't bust down your door and arrest you without a warrant or even talking to your first. Hell even if they did the worst they could do is take you in to the station and sit you down and find out what's going on. Being "arrested" doesn't mean "going to jail."

4: If you KNOW a report has been filed, then go to the police yourself. They are there to protect you, and make sure you have a lawyer handy. If you believe a police report has been filed in error, they will work it out with you. Bring any proof of contracts or receipts between you, your friend, and the rental agency as evidence.

5: Police report or not, hanging out around your work demanding money is both stalking and harassment. Both of those are ILLEGAL. Your friend does not gain the right to break the law, bully or threaten you into submission just because you owe him money. Even if you are in violation of the contract, that is a civil court manner and does not in any way validate filing a false police report.

In short: take a deep breath, get your shit together, and go to the police yourself. If you walk in to the police office with proof that the car was returned and is in the possession of the rental agency, then the police will have no option but to disregard the stolen car report. Afterwards you turn around on your friend and take his sorry ass to court for stalking, harassment, blackmail and filing a false police report, which could likely include defamation of character among other things.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: GET A LAWYER!
    Last edited by Sunseeker; 2012-11-30 at 10:00 PM.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Your friend is being a dick. Just wait it out since you havnt done anything wrong. Tell us all the juicy parts about him getting taken to jail when that has happened.

Deleted
    A lot of people already said what you could do, there's no need to get angry, relax, and deal with this in a calm way.

No need to have this open any longer now, closing and good luck OP, I hope everything goes well in your way.