Poll: Would you rather be castrated and live 20 years longer or stay intact and die sooner?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Castrated and live to 100? Or intact and live to 70?

So I read on Cracked today that apparently men who get castrated live longer. Significantly longer. Like... regularly living to 70-80, even 100+ in a time when leaches were considered a miracle cure.

This same phenomenon is also present in other animals.

So with that in mind, the question at hand.

Would you rather live to 100 without your nuts? Or would you prefer to die 10-20 years sooner?

I have to admit, if the benefit were only 5 years I'd rather die sooner. But 10-20? That actually makes it a tough call....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    So I read on Cracked today that apparently men who get castrated live longer. Significantly longer. Like... regularly living to 70-80, even 100+ in a time when leaches were considered a miracle cure.

This same phenomenon is also present in other animals.

So with that in mind, the question at hand.

Would you rather live to 100 without your nuts? Or would you prefer to die 10-20 years sooner?

I have to admit, if the benefit were only 5 years I'd rather die sooner. But 10-20? That actually makes it a tough call....
    After fathering children, if the quality of life was good in those extra 10-20 years I'd consider it.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    I've already got a child, so my testicles have served their purpose. Now they just swing around, get itchy and cause me undescribable amounts of pain and nausea when they get struck. I'd be quite happy to have the actual testicles removed and replaced with a cosmetic bollock. 10-20 years is a good chunk!

Depends on how you get old. If you get to be a 100 years old and can't do shit from your 70th birthday but sit in a wheelchair in a 4 by 4 room. I'd rather die at 70. If I get to be a 100 years old and run around like I do now, I'd maybe vote to get to a100. Since if its gone you won't be thinking any more about what you miss so actually don't miss it any more.

I have to wonder if women would receive the same benefit?

---------- Post added 2012-11-30 at 09:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    Depends on how you get old. If you get to be a 100 years old and can't do shit from your 70th birthday but sit in a wheelchair in a 4 by 4 room. I'd rather die at 70. If I get to be a 100 years old and run around like I do now, I'd maybe vote to get to a100. Since if its gone you won't be thinking any more about what you miss so actually don't miss it any more.
    Generally your quality of life in your old age is directly related to your activity level. My grandfather on my father's side sat on his ass for as long as I'd known him and died at 80. My grandfather on my mother's side can't sit down for more than 10 minutes at a time without going crazy. He's 94 and still plays golf and walks every day.

Deleted
    I highly doubt I would want that.

Like Hoky said, there's no point in living an extra 10 or 20 years if you can't be self sufficient and be an independent elderly.

So, no, I would rather keep them, thank you very much.

For that long? Of course. I have never had a desire for children so that would work out just fine for me.

Ugh, I can't imagine what it's going to be like if I have to live through another 4 years of bs, idiots, and poverty.
    I can't imagine living 80 more. I'm keeping mine, kthnxbai.

It should be noted that it says in the article he linked that most of the castrated men had it done before they were teenagers. I feel like it might not have much effect on the lifespan of a human if it is done later in life, because the male sex hormones will have had that many more years to already be doing damage.

To answer the question though, I am undecided. I don't want children, and do not have any yet either, so that doesn't really factor into my decision. I also see the way some of these 80-100 year olds live and that doesn't look particularly appetizing either. If I were to get them taken out it wouldn't be to live longer, but perhaps as a 100% effective contraceptive technique.

This is quite the interesting topic, I wonder if a simple vasectomy would have the same effect as having them fully removed. Perhaps that working would help sway some of the people in here who want to keep their testes intact.
    Last edited by ambivalence; 2012-11-30 at 09:47 PM.

Also leeches are still a miracle cure on this very day in many hospitals for strange and exotic diseases.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2012-12-02 at 02:49 AM.

Deleted
    I'd rather live to 30 with my manhood intact if you know what I'm saying.

L.E: nvm the rest, I fucked it up

10+ Year Old Account
    Life begins to suck after 70 so I'll keep my nuts and take my chances.
    Putin khuliyo

There are health complications in this too, mainly to do with metabolism.

You might end up dying earlier from the complications...

I'm gay, so kids aren't really a concern, but I think I'd stick with keeping the jewels in the crown. I just can't imagine feeling complete without em.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Not having to deal with the stress of being in a relationship with a woman makes men live longer?

I didn't need to read a study to know that was true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can I give 1 to live an extra 10 years?

Keeping my balls tyvm.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming don't already have a kid and can't adopt?

70 is pretty damn long.

Its not like when say someone who died at 70 still had a lot of life ahead of them.

I think people put too much emphasis on longevity over quality of life. Most people don't have the mental fortitude to live without their sex organs. If messes with your head since the one purpose of life everyone can agree on is to procreate. I mean you can go on living but you always like something is "missing" from your life.

I would pick to keep my boys. Enjoy a short life with family than spending the last 30 years alone possibly fighting old age. 30 years is a long damn time.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2012-11-30 at 11:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm scared shitless of hospitals and just medical facilities in general so its very very unlikely I would ever voluntarily have some guy cut off part of my body, let alone my balls.

Cutting off my primary source of testosterone sounds terrible. I'll keep my nuts thanks.