Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasttey View Post
    One of the reasons why I that actually dislike Christmas. The forced generosity that so many people exude. Seriously, if you actually want to give someone something, just give it to them, you shouldn't need a special holiday to do something nice, and if that holiday is the only reason you're giving someone a gift then you shouldn't do it in the first place.
    Some people are so jaded. It's just a holiday, stop overthinking it. Just be happy you have people who care enough to spend it with.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Make an amazon wishlist of stuff you like, put anything and everything you involves something you enjoy doing on it and share it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Some people are so jaded. It's just a holiday, stop overthinking it. Just be happy you have people who care enough to spend it with.
    No presents on Christmas! Reminds me of a sad movie.

I rarely know either. Last year was easy, I got a new computer. I'm probably going to go with a Samsung Galaxy S3. (If I don't have to pay for it and get it as a gift, that makes it all the better.) Been kicking around the idea of an Xbox 360 too, but I'm mixed on that.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lymph View Post
    As Christmas approaches, everyone asks me what I want. I have been telling people 'I don't know' for years. I don't really need/want anything, but my lack of an answer seems to be infuriating to others. They refuse to give me money/nothing.. so.. any ideas?

I know that is not much to go on, so how about others list things that they may want?
    Been there. If you really feel like you don't need anything, you could have those people donate to charity in your name. They essentially would take the money they'd spend on you and buy things for needy folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lymph View Post
    As Christmas approaches, everyone asks me what I want. I have been telling people 'I don't know' for years. I don't really need/want anything, but my lack of an answer seems to be infuriating to others. They refuse to give me money/nothing.. so.. any ideas?

I know that is not much to go on, so how about others list things that they may want?
    I have a similar problem. My family does give each other gifts, but we never make list, we may hint, but if we don't get said thing, we don't get upset and it doesn't matter.

My bf family does it differently, everyone gives each other a list. I hate it, it made me feel so uncomfortable to make a list. I thought it over and made a list of general things I enjoy and like, and gave that to them. Told them my favorite restaurants and stores too. But I tried to avoid writing anything specific. I enjoy a surprise.

I figured they may not know me that well, so this would help them get started.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    A new computer chair.

I don't understand why people normally skimp on these. Your chair is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of your computer.

An Aeron chair may be $500-$800, but it will be the best gift you've ever got.

If $500-$800 is too expensive ask for a giftcard to somewhere that sells them.

http://www.hermanmiller.com/products...on-chairs.html
    This is excellent.

World Peace. Unrealistic, I know, but I'm still serious.

Alternatively, holding a magic mirror in front of people so they can see what, and who they really are. I say magic in the Arthur C Clarke-sense. I don't truly believe in magic (he said on a major fantasy forum).

---------- Post added 2012-12-01 at 03:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    A new computer chair.

I don't understand why people normally skimp on these.
    It's called a budget. When choosing between sitting comfortably and playing games with high graphical settings, and sitting very comfortably playing games with crap graphics, extremely slow loading screens and constant stuttering, as a gamer the choice is (read: should be) an easy one. (edit: that chair you linked to alone would double the price tag of my Battlestation)
    Last edited by Raphtheone; 2012-12-01 at 02:55 PM.

I'm asking for a kindle, like 50 bucks to use on the kindle, and some new headphones.

If you just want cash though try to find a store that accepts returns without a recipe and ask for something from there.

I want one of these http://www.makitausa.com/en-us/Modul....aspx?ID=10943
    And a really good sharp cold chisel

would really like some 1" bench dogs. veritas came out with something they call "prairie dogs", those would be nice too. veritas hollow face spokeshave. big ticket? 20" powermatic planer with byrd head

Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    It's called a budget. When choosing between sitting comfortably and playing games with high graphical settings, and sitting very comfortably playing games with crap graphics, extremely slow loading screens and constant stuttering, as a gamer the choice is (read: should be) an easy one. (edit: that chair you linked to alone would double the price tag of my Battlestation)
    Yeah, I agree with this. I have no reason to spend $500-800 on a chair when I'm perfectly comfortable in a $100 chair for as long as I care to spend in it. I've got a lot pricier chair at work and I can't say I see anywhere near enough of a difference to justify that cost. For $500, there's a huge list of things I'd rather have than a chair.

That said, it's a great gift exactly because I'd never buy it for myself, yet I'd still enjoy it.

Deleted
    I usually buy the things I want myself (GF and family going insane about this). But I usually want money and clothes, I hate shopping clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    Every year I ask for a bunch of wrapped empty boxes. I love opening presents, don't really have room for "stuff." It would be nice it someone would give me what I want instead of what makes them feel less guilty.
    That is kind of funny.
    Cash is the most logical because then I will be able to buy something when there is something I want, but they know that I probably won't spend it for a long time.
    It is even worse for extended family that wants to give you presents, but obviously they aren't going to spend a ton on you (not that I want them to), but there is nothing real cheap that I could think of that I would want and dont just buy myself lol

I kinda hate wishing for presents aswell, kinda dont lack anything in general.

I tough off things like random DVD's such as Dark knight rises.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Do you have any hobbies that you could use a new widget for, or that have a better quality of material they could get you then what your normally use? How about that one thing for your hobby you'd get if it weren't too much money? (the better drill, the nicer paint, the fancy storage system...)
    Do you have anything starting to wear out that you haven't replaced yet, such a clothing, appliances, computer equipment?
    How about anything that is just fine as it is, but if it were slightly larger, or of a better quality that'd be kind of fun? Computer monitor or graphics card upgrade for example.
    Is there a household repair you are waiting on until you have the funds? Maybe they won't give you the money for just anything, but would chip in on replacing the old tile in a bathroom, a new water heater, etc.
    Would you enjoy it if they covered the cost of netflix or a premium TV channel for you for a year? A "___ of the month" membership perhaps?
    Tickets to a game or event in your city?
    Do you have any upcoming travel plans they could help with? A ski or camping trip? A stay at a B&B? Cruise?

If there is truly nothing they can buy you, then is there something they can do for you? Gifts of time or skills for the giver can feel just as good as giving you something purchased.
    Are they a good cook? You could ask for a few of whatever they make and have it in your freeze to reheat, or ask for them to make something once a week for you for a few weeks.
    Can they help you with a home repair if you were planning to DIY?
    Are they crafty and could make something such as knit you a new hat or pair of socks?
    Can they take care of something for you (petsit, babysit, etc) to give you a free evening?
    Do you feel like you don't see them enough and want them to just visit a little more often through the year?

If there is really, truly nothing they can give you or do for you, then ask for donations to a charity.
    ----

Editing to add:

I saw the mention of extending family not spending a lot after I posted the above, so rather then start another reply:

Let them buy you the things you'd have bought anyway, and consider the money saved the cash you'd have really preferred. For example is there a magazine you buy off the stand sometimes that they could get you a subscription to? Are they willing to give gift cards? If so cards for movies or your fav. restaurant could be an option.
    For clothing you could get socks, ties, belt, shirts, etc that you'd likely have needed to get at some point anyway. Use the retailer websites to build a wishlist of such things. You can then either send them to your list, or can use your lists yourself to help you answer the what-do-you-want emails by copy/pasting some items off your list into the reply.
    If you have a home office you might need ink for the printer, pens and paper, etc.

My extended family gives pen and notebook sets, home-made items like hats and baked goods, personal care sets like shampoos in little caddies with bath mitts and hand towels, plants, and assorted small decorative items. You could suggest things along those lines.
    Last edited by Joi; 2012-12-01 at 07:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    wish i could "want" lego or action figures as 22 year old.. since there isent real anything i "want" but would be nice with some more stuff to put on display in my cabinet
    but that would rly just be weird so =/

10+ Year Old Account
    Amazon giftcards, you can figure out what the hell you want at your own leisure then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    Indeed. I refuse to partake now. When people ask why, I tell them I'm not Christian. When they say they aren't either, I ask them if they celebrate Eid... Naturally they say no, because they aren't muslim. People still don't see that.

Consumer fest!
    I celebrate Christmas and I'm not Christian. I'm from Germanic descent however, so I do have somewhat of a connection to it. And my parents are Christian, although they don't believe in god.

Besides, Christmas isn't even such a big holiday in my country. Most people celebrate it just with a Christmas tree and a nice dinner together with the family. No presents.

So consumer fest? Maybe in the US, but not where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Make them happy on Christmas morning with a new box of LEGOs.
    Im 22, if my folks still got me lego, or even better the harry potter lego sets,

I'd be running up and down the house all excited, I friken love lego, nothing better to pass the time, maybe bionicles

I stopped getting these things at 17 though :S

I tell people, I have no idea what I want, then I'm generally surprised if I get anything,

I prefer to give presents tbh, for example, I was going to buy halo 4 yesterday, went into a store saw the price, I thought meh, I'm going to go check Smiths toy shop see if its cheaper, it was, picked it up, and I thought fuck it no, I'm going to get my nephew and neases their x mas presents, I bought for five of them and spent 2 1/2 times the cost of the new halo and got more stuff ordered on the net, now Im a college student with no job, and not enough time to work but besides that I make the effort to get the littlens something with what evers left of my grant / money from working summer hosl on them
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate