Might start playing rift (Help)

Looking to maybe try rift, what are its selling points

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Icecreamblue View Post

Features of rift:

Player/guild housing:

I'd suggest starting with the free trial if you've never played.

www.riftgame.com

These are the expansion videos I haven't linked anything from classic there are several videos there as well.

I just started to play again recently. Selling points? Well, this is what I like about it:

-Fantastic community. 98% of the people on Rift are awesome freaking people, and it's not a bunch of people QQing or trolling like many other communities. They are very helpful <3 I've met so many amazing people already.
    -The Rifts. Of course. From what I can tell at any given moment there is 3-5 Rifts/Tears on your map. But they are nothing compared to...
    -Zone Events. Okay so get this. You're out wondering around and all of the sudden you see 'Your mind is consumed by madness' or something, right? All of the sudden about 10 Rifts (or more) open up on the zone, and invaders start attacking your wardstones. At this point, pretty much the entire zone will stop what they are doing and help with the event. There is usually a boss (sometimes more than one) at the end. When I'm playing I see it happen 2-3 times a day - but it probably happens more, I just usually play evening/night.
    -the PVP is awesome. It requires some thinking as you can be incredibly strategic about placement in Warfronts. Not only can you use your spells and abilities to your advantage but also placements.
    -The builds. They are fun to mess around with, even moreso fun to play : P. I love mages, always have, currently rocking out a pyromancer - doing mass DPS and burst. <3 lovei t.
    -Options. Collecting artifacts, working on professions, closing rifts, questing.....tons of stuff to do.
    -More excitement than any MMO I've played so far RIGHT from the start. And I played WoW since vanilla and countless other MMOs. Rift has my vote on being the most fantastic one out there right now.

Deleted
    im a semi hardcore WoW player, played since vanilla and have always raided pretty hard, aiming for realm firsts and all that kinda stuff.

However i find myself disillusioned outside of raid hours. I have better gear than valor allows, ive got most of my reps up etc, and i already have 4 level 90s who are geared up enough to raid.

But out of those 3 hours we raid a night (4/5 times a week), i found myself being a bit bored so i decided to give rift a shot less than a month ago. I had previously played Rift on release but got bored around level 32.

I had a few days free trial on my old account, and played around and found the new features to be quite cool. Things like Instant Adventures (level scaling group quests that offer good rewards and amazing xp!) helped out lower level players like myself to level up.

I took the plunge, and subbed my account and also decided just to buy Storm legion too for the additional souls (talents so to speak). Was a good choice!

I played with the new tactician build and had a blast plowing through rifts etc and even with playing casually, it didnt take me long to hit 48. I went to Storm Legion content at 48 (not entirely advisable since mobs i was killing at lvl 48 had about 8/9k hp, Storm legion mobs start as 25k! - i was lucky i was playing a bit of an OP spec). Since then i've been logging in for an hour or 2 a day and im now almost 53! Loving the new zones, new quests and zone invasions (They are mental!).

so i highly advise rift if you're looking for either an alternative to WoW, or something to play in your spare time.

Great game, amazing gameplay, superb community and a great all round experience - you gotta get it

10+ Year Old Account
    what are its selling points
    You get to look like one of Robocop's nightmares

"Please put down your weapon, you have 20 seconds to comply"

Magepot, excellent post. Whether you're a new hand or an old soul when it comes to MMOs, Rift should appease the majority when it comes to out of the box entertainment. I think the biggest complaints tend to come from single-minded individuals bent on a specific goal, like end-game raiding or 100% PvPers. For the slightly more casual sort, Rift has so much damn content and so many opportunities for wasting time, it's ridiculous.

I just started playing again and I recommend you do too!

I played WoW for about 5 years and I played GW2. I love both games. I was addicted to WoW but I wanted a new story, new lore, so Rift was a logical step. GW2 was just lacking something for me.

I think Rift if a great game. It has a lot of elements that I loved in WoW but it brings a lot of new things too. The customization of the souls is outstanding. There are so many choices. The different rifts you encounter are all fun to me. Even when there are not that many people around I love challenging myself to take on a rift. Rift is also pretty, the cities are well done and the environments are gorgeous. I love the Rift community as well. Everyone seems friendly and willing to help or come play with you.

I think you should download Rift Lite and give it a try. It is an awesome game.

Deleted
    What do you like more: WOW or Rift? I play WOW, but i'm thinking about some changes :P As i saw trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZaTPXB-6Io i thought it'll be interesting. What has Rift got, which WOW hasn't?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kitt View Post
    What do you like more: WOW or Rift? I play WOW, but i'm thinking about some changes :P As i saw trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZaTPXB-6Io i thought it'll be interesting. What has Rift got, which WOW hasn't?
    I play both games, IMHO RIFT is way better then WoW at the moment, i only play WoW to PvP currently (and im getting sick of that) normally i only pvp in mmo's because its always fast-paced on the spot react quickly kind of thing, i went in-to RIFT with the same goals and came out enjoying the Pve more because it was like the excitement and rush i get from pvping, i would go so far as to saying RIFT beat WoW at their own game.
    Not going to lie here, when my guild first downed akylios, i actually cried with excitement and joy (sad i know). I have never had feelings like that come out when i have been playing WoW, unless you count the almost crying out of rage part.
    Last edited by mmoc135db6b2b5; 2012-12-06 at 08:17 AM.

Simple answer:

- Zone wide invasions and bosses which pop up at random and will consume your time and change any plans you had when you log in
    - Endless spec choice options, with many different slot roles (play melee as mage, AOE healer as Rogue, or spellcaster warrior?)
    - Rifts
    - ability to play a pure support class - viable in group PvE environments
    - Housing (guild and player)
    - Solo and two player dungeons as well as 5 man dungeons
    - Conquest (200 v 200 v 200) BG's and 3 faction PvP
    - Content updates that are so fast and heavy it'll make your head spin - Rift has even introduced features through hotfixes. on the 12th we will be getting our 12th patch (not counting what the expansion, which tripled world size brought to the table) in 19 months or so since game launch.
    - Instant Adventures - think LFR but with out in the open world with quests and mini bosses
    - Excellent PvE mechanics (repeatedly touted as the best in the MMO genre as a whole) and in some cases badly copy pasted by other MMO's
    - Easily the best in game systems of any MMO, you can transfer your toon (free) to any realm from *in game*, and completely customize your UI from in game, making a lot of mods pointless.
    - Veteran rewards allow you to access nifty costumes, pets and mounts based on the length of your subscription to the game.

There's many more. as a caveat; the PvP isn't always the best, you either love it or hate it. (I fall into the love it category personally)

Anyone who says this is a wow clone should go back to their scythe welding mage, design their own house and queue as support in MoP. :]
    Last edited by Antipathy; 2012-12-06 at 08:29 AM.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

What has Rift got, which WOW hasn't?
    - A modular class system
    - Player Housing
    - Hotjoin open world PVE
    - Multiple gear progression outlets [can PVP, raid, run dungeons, craft or open world PVE for gear equally]
    - Discrete raids [Every raid is it's own unqiue instance. A 10man raid is a totally different environment, bosses & location than a dungeon or 20man]
    - On-the-fly, native UI adjustment w/o macros. Every element on screen can be customized out of the box, day 1.
    - Solo/duo mini instances
    - 3 faction PVP
    - Cross faction AH, mail and Guilds
    - Multiple per character game settings & UI templates able to be imported or exported quickly across all characters. Instantly. No addon needed.
    - Facebook, twitter and youtube integration. So you can record video in-game at a single keypress, upload and push notifications out. All within game.
    - Guild chat connected via mobile app [not sure if WoW has this...]
    - 1 1/2 month interval of [major] content updates. No bullshit, when Rift updates they add a ton of stuff. See for your self: linky 1 & linky 2
    - 6 total specs to flip between as you please.
    - Non destructive wardrobe feature with multiple tabs. Can wear any type of armor as cosmetic armor essentially.
    - Leaderboards for most PVE and PVP activities.
    - Regular zone wide events.
    - Et cetera.

The basic gameplay is very much like Warcraft. There are tanks, healers, DPS. Support on occasion. You bind stuff to a hotbar, tab to target, skills fire off, blahblahblah.

Rift is a pretty good MMO. Great developer and phenomenal support for the game by Trion. One of the most respectable devs I know of. Has it's cons like any other MMO-- sometimes crazy balance changes or drab clothing. Whatever.

The best and worst thing that can be said of Rift is that the game is a solid & refined version of conventional MMO gameplay.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-12-06 at 08:37 AM.

I will give you my 2 cents.

I played WoW for almost 6 years....BIG WoW "FanBoy" In the last month I found RIFT and gave it a chance. I LOVE IT. RIFT and Trion have something here that is going to keep getting bigger and bigger....its a great game
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Deleted
    Thanks for answers guys! As i read it i think Rift must be great. I just have to play it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiya View Post
    I will give you my 2 cents.

I played WoW for almost 6 years....BIG WoW "FanBoy" In the last month I found RIFT and gave it a chance. I LOVE IT. RIFT and Trion have something here that is going to keep getting bigger and bigger....its a great game
    Same here... Played WoW about 4.5 years. Stopped in Cata, picked up the beta of Rift. Although my playstyle has changed (I have no intention of running a guild ever again and prefer to be a DPS who's only responsibility is to get out of the fire), I find the leveling experience slow going, but interesting. I mainly quest. I've taken a few on-off breaks over the last year, but it is definitely my "come back to" mmo. I loved my time in WoW. I just prefer Rift.

It feels a lot like TBC to me - which was the most fun period in WoW. I also actually enjoy warfronts - which I never really did in WoW. I think it's because they all feel like AV to me - and this was my fave battleground.

I blame myself for my slow leveling. I keep getting distracted. I am going to try to force myself to actually "linearly" level my cleric - after my rogue.

Deleted
    I feel like I have to share this...

I've been playing WoW for 6 years, canceled my sub a couple of days ago. I couldn't get further than the loading screen the times I thought to myself I'd log in to do some dailies. And paying €12 a month for logging in once or twice a week - it wasn't worth it anymore.
    So for the last couple of weeks I've been looking for this epic, awesomeness-feeling that WoW used to give me back in the days. I tried GW2 but it was way too different from WoW, feels like they wanted to create something new and instead of using the basics of an MMO and working on it from there they just made it too... wierd. Anyhoo, I didn't like it so I haven't played it for quite a while.
    But then, the other day, I tried Rift. And damn. It is exactly what I've been looking for. I really feel that epicness I've been missing in WoW, and I'm so glad I decided to try it out.

So I mean... Just try it out. I bet you'll love it.