Dual monitor critical issue ( please help )

Hi mmo, I recently bought a second monitor for my build its a Hanns-G LED 24''. I added it about two week ago and everything worked fine. Yesterday after a short period after booting the pc the Hanns-g monitor started to go disco and was flashing with stripes of colors very fast . From that moment I couldnt use the keyboard / mouse even though nothing wrong was going on with my primary monitor. I had to reset and after rebooting everything was fine.

This morning right after booting it happened again.

I ran virus/spyware scan ( nothing found ), I checked forums for something similar and can't find anything . As additional facts I noticed since the second monitor was added that a slight ''flickering'' was barely noticable on my primary monitor and when I was playing some videos on my second monitor while playing games on the other the color scheme of windows changed to default automatically due to lack of memory. I don't know if it has anything to do with this problem.

So now i unplugged the Hanns-G until I figure whats wrong.

Please let me know if anyone has any clue what I have to do.

CPU : Intel Core i5 3570K
    CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
    GPU : Sapphire radeon 7850
    Mobo : ASRock Z77 EXTREME4
    PSU : OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
    HDD : Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB
    SSD : Crucial M4
    Memory : G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB

Deleted
    what psu do you have?

Deleted
    Problem might be the GPU or PSU

My PSU is a OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W. If it's a gpu / psu problem what should I do to fix it?

---------- Post added 2012-12-01 at 02:16 PM ----------

Noone has any idea? =(

sounds like your graphics card/ power supply cant handle dual monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    sounds like your graphics card/ power supply cant handle dual monitors.
    Really? I thought my gpu was more than whats necessary to run dual even maybe 3 monitors... Maybe its my psu? What are the specs necessary to run a multi-monitor setup?

Would lowering the resolution on my extra monitor be helping?

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I run a 600W PSU and have zero issues running dual monitors. The PSU just supplies power to the graphic card. Check your rail votages and see whats happening. Also whens the last time you cleaned the fans of the GPU? Are you running HDMI or Dual DVI?

My 6850 had issues running Dual DVI Cables. Had to downgrade one monitor to SVGA Cable but recently put Dual DVI cables back on and no issues (weird crap lol).

I would say its a graphic card issues myself.

O another thing make sure your not out of Hertz Range when going to 2nd monitor. Maybe its set to like 80htz at 2000x1200 or something
    Last edited by Locruid; 2012-12-01 at 09:07 PM.

thank you i'll check it out.

---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 02:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Locruid View Post
    I run a 600W PSU and have zero issues running dual monitors. The PSU just supplies power to the graphic card. Check your rail votages and see whats happening. Also whens the last time you cleaned the fans of the GPU? Are you running HDMI or Dual DVI?

My 6850 had issues running Dual DVI Cables. Had to downgrade one monitor to SVGA Cable but recently put Dual DVI cables back on and no issues (weird crap lol).

I would say its a graphic card issues myself.

O another thing make sure your not out of Hertz Range when going to 2nd monitor. Maybe its set to like 80htz at 2000x1200 or something
    I just thought of something, my gpu only has one dvi output so i plugged my second monitor directly in the vga slot of my mobo. Maybe this could be the source of the problem?

UPDATE : I don't know if that was the issue but i just bought 2 dvi cables ( one HDMI/DVI the other DVI/DVI ) and plugged them in my GPU ports. It now works just fine and no more screen failure of disco flashy colors. Maybe the problem was the way i plugged my monitors ? One in my gpu the other in my mobo? Oh well lets hope it last. Thank you guys.

K no response here was valid at all.

#1 your PC freezing is not your monitors fault nor is it likely the gpu's fault ALONE. Bad drivers will freeze the system, bad hardware will crash the system usually. However a monitor neither can crash your PC nor is it in anyway related to your PSU. If a gpu can't produce on 2 monitors but can game on 1 it sure as hell isn't the PSU. Something driver wise or hardware wise is causing issues, going by your latest update it still unclear which, Im inclined to lean on drivers as moving from onboard to gpu w/ second monitor caused no issues, so through deduction I'm thinking the windows or onboard graphics drivers are not too friendly w/ your gpu being used at the same time.