Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't mean you warm weather folks, I know you are

Starting to get pretty cold out, and I trying to get myself good and ready to ride in it, and just wondering what everyone's using for gear to stay warm. So far, I've been good with an UnderArmour Coldgear base layer, and my normal kit over it, but I'm thinking I'm going to need a decent top layer pretty soon and some better gloves.
    well, I dont cycle. I feel as though my ass bones are breaching my skin when i do...

I do run like a crazy woman. I wear only UA coldgear. Keeping my bottom portion with the one layer and my top decently warm with one layer of UA cold gear, a UA light shirt over the top, and a sweatshirt to keep the wind out. I also run with gloves, scarf and a hat.

oh what, 70 and sunny here in southern california, im using a tank top and shorts with some flip flops to stay warm

Quote Originally Posted by Osyrus View Post
    well, I dont cycle. I feel as though my ass bones are breaching my skin when i do...
    Seems like the bike must have been set up wrong or something. If you're set up correctly, so much of your weight is distributed on other parts that you shouldn't really get a sore ass. There's always cushy saddles too.

Quote Originally Posted by Osyrus View Post
    I do run like a crazy woman. I wear only UA coldgear. Keeping my bottom portion with the one layer and my top decently warm with one layer of UA cold gear, a UA light shirt over the top, and a sweatshirt to keep the wind out. I also run with gloves, scarf and a hat.
    UA stuff is so good! I just started using it this season, and it's so much better than trying to wear the heavy gear I was wearing last year. I'm using Coldgear compression bottom and top for running right now, and tossing my cycling jersey on when it drops down lower.

Gonna try commuting this winter for the first time. Bought some 240 stud tires to throw on the mountain bike when the flakes start flying.

For winter I wear:

Thin cloth gloves underneath my warmer "duck gloves": three appendages, thumb + 2x2 fingers.
    Headband
    Ski Mask
    Hat
    Helmet (duh)
    Tshirt + Arm warmers
    Thicker long sleeve shirt over previous.
    Wind breaker over previous, doesn't sound like much but it doesn't let any air in and I'm toasty.
    Normal white socks
    Wool socks over those
    Fleece slip-on shoes over those
    Insulated wind pants over my bike shorts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahaha... When I read the title, I thought OP was referring to steroids... Was about to give my insight about how cycling doesn't change based on the year, but it's that cycling lol... I have no input anymore.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heck no. It's below zero now, black ice is a big no no for me. If I commuted or had a mountain bike, maybe, but on a road bike I don't think it would be a good idea, the asphalt is just too slick.

Maybe it's just me, but I find when I run or bike at cold temperatures my lungs start to burn. Odd, because I almost never have that issue when playing hockey (the exception being super cold days on the outdoor rink).

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Hahaha... When I read the title, I thought OP was referring to steroids... Was about to give my insight about how cycling doesn't change based on the year, but it's that cycling lol... I have no input anymore.
    Haha : P

I had thought of cycling in last winter but I failed to implement it your post reminds me again, Thanks for reminding me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rec View Post
    It's below zero now, black ice is a big no no for me. If I commuted or had a mountain bike, maybe, but on a road bike I don't think it would be a good idea, the asphalt is just too slick.
    These > Ice

http://www.rei.com/media/rr/6bb7d982...bbc000a8dd.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Interesting, but those will not fit my bike. How's the traction with those when there isn't snow or ice on the ground?

Interesting, but those will not fit my bike. How's the traction with those when there isn't snow or ice on the ground?
    They're fine, of course I'm careful around corners. Once Spring breaks, however be sure to take them off. The tires are expensive and there's no point in wearing them down when there's no snow.

PS: If your bike is a 700 and not 26", I know they make them as narrow as 700x35.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're fine, of course I'm careful around corners. Once Spring breaks, however be sure to take them off. The tires are expensive and there's no point in wearing them down when there's no snow.

PS: If your bike is a 700 and not 26", I know they make them as narrow as 700x35.
    I ride on 700x23s haha. Widest I've ridden with was 700x25, though I'd need to get the brake pads adjusted if I wanted to put those tires back on. Also, the fork and rear seat stay are pretty close to the tire, with those treads I don't think it would work.

I'll just have to get an indoor trainer or something. : P

Edit: Actually those treads would most definitely not work - I can barely fit my pinky finger between the side wall and rear seat stay. I'm pretty much due for a winter beater anyways, might be worth getting a sturdy hybrid for errands, shopping with cycling shoes on is pretty dorky. :X
    Last edited by Rec; 2012-12-08 at 12:37 AM.

Can't help but imagine it's incredibly dangerous to be cycling with ice or even snow on the ground.

Deleted
    I cycle to work and places I want to go, but i've stopped training for this winter and taken it off. Training for me begins on the 1st of Jan Thinking of getting a gym membership so I can use the exercise bikes so I wont be freezing cold in a jersey and shorts xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    Can't help but imagine it's incredibly dangerous to be cycling with ice or even snow on the ground.
    You'd be surprised. Bikes are pretty neat, it's impossible to hydroplane on one, for instance. As long as you have the right equipment with you, I don't see any reason why you should avoid the ice or snow.

That said, it can definitely be dangerous when sharing the roads with cars, even more so than in nice weather. Drivers don't expect you to be on the road, and the paths are often not cleared, or just piled high with snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    So long as you don't do anything stupid like wobbling the front wheel while on ice or suddenly putting a ton of torque on the rear wheel, you'd be surprised at how easy it is to cycle in wintry conditions. You should also avoid racing like you are on a Tour de France time-trial. Smooth and safe, just like driving a car in those conditions.

I ride on 700x23s haha. Widest I've ridden with was 700x25, though I'd need to get the brake pads adjusted if I wanted to put those tires back on. Also, the fork and rear seat stay are pretty close to the tire, with those treads I don't think it would work.

I'll just have to get an indoor trainer or something. : P

Edit: Actually those treads would most definitely not work - I can barely fit my pinky finger between the side wall and rear seat stay. I'm pretty much due for a winter beater anyways, might be worth getting a sturdy hybrid for errands, shopping with cycling shoes on is pretty dorky. :X
    Yeah, I ride a hybrid with dual sided pedals (SPD on one, flat on the other) and it's perfect for errands and commuting.

anybody considered Fat bikes for winter time, the ones with the really wide tires made specifically for snow?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    anybody considered Fat bikes for winter time, the ones with the really wide tires made specifically for snow?
    Considered and dismissed actually. They are super expensive and quite a bit of work to ride. While their fat tires no doubt have superior traction over snow, I'd rather do studs for ice.

Considered and dismissed actually. They are super expensive and quite a bit of work to ride. While their fat tires no doubt have superior traction over snow, I'd rather do studs for ice.
    Yeah that's Kind of what I've heard, unless you on sand or at least like 4 or more inches of snow its just not worth it.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Ofcourse I will, I'm Dutch afterall. The whole country is full with people riding their bikes to work.