Blade Lord Ta'yak 10 man normal Problems

Our most recent logs for this fight.

I wonder if anyone would mind taking a look at our logs for this fight. I think we're having many more problems on this than we should be considering our gear levels and experience. We have a good team, but we are totally stuck on this fight at the moment.
    One thing that we definitely need to be doing is stacking better for Unseen Strike, no excuses. But if anyone can spot any other problems we might be able to address we'd be eternally grateful

Our attempts on this fight tend to vary. Sometimes we will wipe it very early because of a mistake on Unseen Strike leaving us with an early death, sometimes the tanks go down extremely quickly in P1, and rarely we will make it to P2 - we're not learning P2 very well because we're not getting there very often. I would like to find out what we could be doing better in P1 in order to get us consistently to P2.

It has been suggested that using 3 healers would help us, but I'd rather find the root of the problem and solve that if possible.

Thanks for any help in advance.
    Last edited by Rahven; 2012-12-01 at 05:17 PM. Reason: We don't stack for Wind Step... that would be very stupid indeed!
    [A] <Raiders of the Lost Orc> EU Dragonblight http://www.lostorc.net/
    Currently recruiting

I'm a dps, but from what my healers have said, the final phase of the fight pretty much requires 3 healers, it's very intensive and they can go oom fast. That being said, using raid markers for stacking spots during his steps is extremely useful, we set up 4 spots (that's generally all you need but more couldn't hurt), and having ranged try to back up to the walls so they have room to move forward once tornado's come is a good idea.

Hi thanks for your input On P2 we have our feral druid blow tranquility and others use CDs so that we're all fully topped off at the start of the fight, then we push on with two healers. But it's P1 we want to address the most at the moment.
    We mark one of the tanks and collapse onto them for Unseen Strike, but we definitely need to improve this without excuses, as I mentioned.
    Currently recruiting

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    you shouldnt be stacking for anything but unseen strike. the way we do it, is have a marker in the middle of the room. ranged spread at 40 yards from the boss and move just enough to avoid the tornadoes. we 2 heal it. have someone watching the time for unseen strike if the raid cant all watch for themselves and call out a warning just before it. so that when unseen strike comes, everyone is stacked in the middle basically where the tank is. (we actually use my warlock portal as a mark for where to stack, makes it easy for me! ) if a spriest gets unseen strike, he can disperse it and take it on his own but thats a minor little bonus. apart from that its basically tank and spank., just make sure healers are paying special attention to people with the windstep DoT on them cos it does hurt! only other thing is to make sure you stop dps idf needed to make sure that the raid is at 100% hp before boss hits 20% (spirit shell is great for this transition if yo have a disc)

phase 2 is pretty simple, use stampeding roar and all personal movement speed bonus to get to the other end ASAP. then at 11 or 12% have everyone except the tanks jumpinto the stream at the side and run to the other end. DoTs and tanks push boss to 10% and he flies to you - no dodging tornadoes 2nd time round.

phase 2 doesnt require 3 healers because i pretty much solo healed it this week as a resto shaman. http://worldoflogs.com/reports/hqi4s...?s=8668&e=9063 as you can see i 42% of the healing and my monk(wollamfu) did 4.9% healing because he died before phase 2.

edit- had the wrong percentage for my monk healer and adding armory to show im not super geared.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...igsav/advanced
    Last edited by bigsav1; 2012-12-01 at 04:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    I'm a dps, but from what my healers have said, the final phase of the fight pretty much requires 3 healers, it's very intensive and they can go oom fast.
    This is not true, we 2 healed it the first (Second) week on heroic.

Tanks need to make sure to swap at 2 stacks, and always have a CD on 2nd Assault, else they will either die or survive with very little health. Dks can glyph Fortitude for it as the timer is 100% accurate unless he does Unseen Strike first (if he does, he will do it right after) and they will have it every time, other than that you should ask for Sacrifices when their 40% dmg reduction is on CD. Tanks need to communicate.

Unseen strikes are not a problem if the whole raid just stacks up.

The person with Wind Step should either have a personal CD, or not stack up.
    If a Shadow Priest or Feral Druid with Symbiosis on a Priest gets Unseen strike on them, they can pop Dispersion and the raid dont need to worry about stacking up.

At 35 ish percent (depending on how many paladins you have) you can start using Hand of protection on people who get Wind step debuff on them, cus why not. Last phase, make sure your Shamans have Healing tide (And the talent that allows you to move totems unless its a healer), your Shadow priests and Boomkins are using renew and Rejuvenation on the move, and rotate raid CDs such as Tranq+Spiritwalker, Drums of speed and Stampeding Roar. You will have to run twice in last phase.

A Resto Druid can get Spiritwalker with tranq from a Shaman.

I recommend hero at pull with pre pots, cus the boss does more and more damage the longer the fight goes on overall, and it makes last phase easier.

Can also use hero in last phase if you only struggle in last phase.
    Last edited by Celar; 2012-12-01 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Typo
    3 manning all Challenge Modes on GOLD! - Youtube.com/MyCelar

10+ Year Old Account
    We 2 healed this.

things to watch for in P1:
    - everyone spread so Wind Step don't hit multiple people.
    - we start boss from where he stands, then to 1 end of corridor, slowly move to the other end so we don't get loaded with tornados.
    - if someone got debuff from Wind Step and Unseen Strike is coming, put some defensive CD on him.
    - when Unseen Strike CD come to like 1-2 seconds, everyone stack on boss.

P2:
    - as soon as we landed, Shaman (me, and Elemental spec), drop healing tide, anyone that can heal, top everyone up FAST.
    - when everyone is topped, we all start running, Druid gives the movement speed buff.
    - When reach other side, anyone that can heal, top people to over 50% first, then dps away.
    - when boss is at 12%, leave the tank there with a healer, everyone jump on the side and let the wind carry you to the other side without worrying about the tornados. Dotter leave dot on boss.
    - that should take boss to 10%, and everyone should already be on the other side waiting and ready.
    - finish him off

Deleted
    we do it with 2 healers, but we got 2 shamans with healing tide totems... we didnt have problem with first phase, person who has debuf, doesnt have to stack with others unless he is targeted, then overheal him... when phase starts, shamans drop totems and relocate them after while so they are in range... also speed buff helps a lot.. you must reach boss at first try, no one, especially healers, cant be catched by tornado... when boss has 12-11% all dps and heals run back on left or right side, you will be speeded up and wait for tanks to bring him to 10%, they wont die and if, you dont need tanks in 2 phase anyways...

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Having a druid will make P2 a lot easier. That said, One of your big problems seems to be Wind Step. I notice your melee are getting hit by it, which really should not happen at all. What our group does is have everyone that is ranged (including healers) spread out along the walls. That way, Wind Step will only hit one person, and the tornadoes will be out of the way.

EDIT: make sure people aren't so far away that they can't stack for Unseen Strike. With the amount of melee you have, there should be plenty of room.

Thanks again all!

We're really after any info about why we may be struggling in P1.

We use hero at pull with pre-pots etc. We tank him where he is roughly to begin with then move down the corridor in whichever direction is clearest. We don't seem to have any problems with positioning. I am hoping that on our next raid we'll be better at stacking for Unseen Strike, as mentioned onto the marked tank. Calling out definitely helps, you are right.

For info our setup on the logs is:
    Prot Pally X2
    Mage X2 (good for removing Wind Step)
    Warrior
    Monk
    Rogue
    S. Priest
    Holy Pally
    Resto Shammy
    Last edited by Rahven; 2012-12-01 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Oops
    Currently recruiting

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahven View Post
    Thanks again all!

We're really after any info about why we may be struggling in P1.

We use hero at pull with pre-pots etc. We tank him where he is roughly to begin with then move down the corridor in whichever direction is clearest. We don't seem to have any problems with positioning. I am hoping that on our next raid we'll be better at stacking for Wind Step, as mentioned onto the marked tank. Calling out definitely helps, you are right.

For info our setup on the logs is:
    Prot Pally X2
    Mage X2 (good for removing Wind Step)
    Warrior
    Monk
    Rogue
    S. Priest
    Holy Pally
    Resto Shammy
    Wait, why would you stack for Wind Step? Windstep is the main reason your raid should spread out (and the tornadoes). I hope you mean Unseen Strike.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    you shouldnt need to move the boss at all - the ranged should be spread out so that tornadoes never go near mellee. and also, hopefully your just getting spell names wrong but DO NOT STACK FOR WIND STEP!!!!! i dont know if it cleaves, but it will screw up tornado positioning etc. wind stepis the one that applies the DoT. you only stack for unseen strike

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viggers View Post
    you shouldnt need to move the boss at all - the ranged should be spread out so that tornadoes never go near mellee. and also, hopefully your just getting spell names wrong but DO NOT STACK FOR WIND STEP!!!!! i dont know if it cleaves, but it will screw up tornado positioning etc. wind stepis the one that applies the DoT. you only stack for unseen strike
    If you don't move the boss, there will be so many tornadoes in that one area that it will be impossible to stack for Unseen Strike. Also, the MAIN problem with Wind Step is that it IS a cleave.

---------- Post added 2012-12-01 at 12:10 PM ----------

One note to OP as well, the spriest can take an Unseen Strike all by himself with Dispersion, so if it's cast on him, just let him take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Static Transit View Post
    Wait, why would you stack for Wind Step? Windstep is the main reason your raid should spread out (and the tornadoes). I hope you mean Unseen Strike.
    Lol, yes sorry my mistake - I should think we wouldn't last very long if we stacked for Wind Step
    Currently recruiting

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, yes sorry my mistake - I should think we wouldn't last very long if we stacked for Wind Step
    Lol, probably not. Remember that if someone is afflicted with Wind Step that you may want to consider having him not stack. And if you're having trouble with Unseen Strike, what you should probably do is work out where people stand so that people with movement abilities (such as mages with Blink) are farthest away.

Lol, probably not. Remember that if someone is afflicted with Wind Step that you may want to consider having him not stack. And if you're having trouble with Unseen Strike, what you should probably do is work out where people stand so that people with movement abilities (such as mages with Blink) are farthest away.
    Absolutely, we started doing that towards the end and it did help quite a bit
    Currently recruiting

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely, we started doing that towards the end and it did help quite a bit
    Good. What our group also did was have basically four points where we'd have the boss. One right where he starts, one over in the middle of the right corridor, one by the entrance, and one in the middle of the left corridor. Just make sure you're not moving him while he's casting Unseen Strike. You'll probably only use 2-3 of those points anyway.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't move the boss, there will be so many tornadoes in that one area that it will be impossible to stack for Unseen Strike. Also, the MAIN problem with Wind Step is that it IS a cleave.[COLOR="red"]
    hmm. we never need to move him. although our dps is quite a bit higher than OP's so maybe we just have a lot less tornadoes than he does