Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Number keys on keyboard won't work

I'm Running Windows 7 Home Basic 64 bit.

Basically, the number keys at the top of my keyboard don't work, they're almost never the same keys, sometimes I lose functionality of the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 and 0 keys, but other times it will only be four of them or it can be the whole row. They won't work on anything, neither in windows or inside programs or games.

I figured I had an old keyboard so it must have been a hardware issue. I asked a friend to lend me a keyboard but the same problem persists, which leads me to believe it's a software issue.

I can use the num lock keys to type out numbers but it's very annoying because I have to google the "at" key and copy and paste it onto E-mail addresses to send E-mails.

Thanks for the help.

P.S. the problem is spreading because now it reads the "t" key but it doesn't read it when I press shift + "t" and it also stopped reading the print screen key.

Do you have any kind of keyboard software? Delete them

Check that 'Mouse Keys' isn't enabled in Windows.

Control Panel > Ease of Access Center > Make the Keyboard easier to use

Or just search for 'mouse keys' in Start menu's search box.

Deselect anything that's checked.

You can also check your keyboard mapping in 'keyboard settings' (link at the bottom of that previous control panel page)

Another possibility is a dirty USB slot, try plugging the keyboard into a different one.

Also, the Ease of Access Center in Windows has an On-screen Keyboard option, so a workaround of sorts in the meantime if other fixes aren't working.
    Last edited by Stasis007; 2012-12-02 at 01:22 AM.

Faithh, I don't have any kind of keyboard software that I'm aware of.

Stasis007, I went into the Make the Keyboard easier to use and no option was checked, with the exception of "Turn on toggle Keys by holding down the NUM LOCK key for 5 seconds".

I unchecked this option but the problem persists.

My keyboard used to work properly but this started happening only recently.

Concerning the dirty USB, my old keyboard was connected through the keyboard connector, my current keyboard is connected through the USB, so I don't think it's the USB.

Um, anyone else have any suggestions? Still got the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta1125 View Post
    Um, anyone else have any suggestions? Still got the problem.
    Is the keyboard actually being detected in device manager?

http://windows-exe-errors.com/wp-con...own-device.jpg

I'm using my old keyboard again, the one that uses the mouse/keyboard input, I went to device manager and it's there in keyboard, and it says it's working fine.

Should I just uninstall the drivers and reinstall them or something? If I uninstall the keyboard drivers how would I go about installing them again?

I'm using my old keyboard again, the one that uses the mouse/keyboard input, I went to device manager and it's there in keyboard, and it says it's working fine.

Should I just uninstall the drivers and reinstall them or something? If I uninstall the keyboard drivers how would I go about installing them again?
    It will just search their driver database and reinstall them again.

Well I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them and the problem persists... I seriously don't understand what could be wrong.

Well I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them and the problem persists... I seriously don't understand what could be wrong.
    Sure the keyboard is set to your language and country? For me it's Belgian period azerty. Some countries have different qwerty setups.

Yeah I checked that, it's set to US english and the keyboard is american. The keyboard used to work perfectly with windows 7 but this is recent, maybe something changed in one of the windows updates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it an USB keyboard or PS/2 Keyboard?

Another possible cause is the keyboard was gotten wet or something conductive has fallen into the keyboard. Different groupings of keys are normally on different switching buses in the keyboard, so if there is something shorting out a grouping, you could lose some of the keys.

I got this too with a very recent update. Though only one key is missing for me completely from the layout.

Heksar and Darkside, as I mentioned in the beginning, I suspected it might have been a hardware issue, its a PS/2 keyboard. I friend lent me his keyboard, which is USB and the same exact keys didn't work.

I know that it's not an issue with the USB or PS/2 input because no water or food EVER goes near the computer, just the keyboard on my table.

Also just to mention, [maybe this is important] my windows updates constantly update the same two updates, Security Update for Microsoft Net Frameworks and Update for Microsoft Net Frameworks, no matter how many times I install them they continue to show up, maybe something happened with the updated that messed up my keyboard software.

As I mentioned before though, I checked my device manager and it says the keyboard is working properly.

This is getting really frustrating.

I appreciate all the help guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heksar and Darkside, as I mentioned in the beginning, I suspected it might have been a hardware issue, its a PS/2 keyboard. I friend lent me his keyboard, which is USB and the same exact keys didn't work.

I know that it's not an issue with the USB or PS/2 input because no water or food EVER goes near the computer, just the keyboard on my table.

Also just to mention, [maybe this is important] my windows updates constantly update the same two updates, Security Update for Microsoft Net Frameworks and Update for Microsoft Net Frameworks, no matter how many times I install them they continue to show up, maybe something happened with the updated that messed up my keyboard software.

As I mentioned before though, I checked my device manager and it says the keyboard is working properly.

This is getting really frustrating.

I appreciate all the help guys.
    Create a restore point, to have your current setup saved, then try a rollback to an older date, before the problems started.
    That may fix it.
    And for crying out loud, turn off auto updates for Windows....
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2012-12-08 at 02:56 PM.

Sorry I'm not very computer savy, how would I create a restore point and then do a rollback?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry I'm not very computer savy, how would I create a restore point and then do a rollback?
    Click Start > mouse over Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Select System Restore.
    Start that, it should give you an option to create a restore point. Which is basically a current snapshot of your system as is.
    After that, select a date in the calendar that shows a restore date, that's from the past, where you know at that time everything was fine.

If the restore fails, for what ever reason ever, you can go back to System Restore and revert the recent rollback. hence why you create a restore point first, just to make double sure..
    The program would create a restore point by default even if you did not make one in the first place. But if anything goes wrong, with that, your system would be stuck in limbo land. Hence why you wanna do it separately.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2012-12-08 at 04:47 PM.

Ok thanks, unfortunately my system restore only goes as far back as december 2nd even when clicking "show more restore points"

OK I ran my computer in safe mode and the same keys didn't work, I don't want to have to reformat and re-install windows...