I need comp help

Hello all, I need some advice.

I am new to wow (just started mid 4.3) and I main a boomkin which has proven to be a problem. I know my class pretty well to only have played such a short time but I can't find anyone who will give me a chance in 3s since one, I am new, and two, I am a boomkin I had some luck getting a newer rbg team but it didn't last long till it was disbanded.

I have a couple alts (Ret, mage, and lock at mid levels) and was thinking of scratching this season, taking some practice, and leveling an alt or two so I will have a variety and more of a chance to get on a few teams.

I know these threads are old and may just get told to play what I enjoy but I truly have fun on all of my toons so it's not an enjoyment issue. My boomkin will always be my main for example just because he is fun, BUT I want to play something viable as well especially in 3s. Can anyone at max give me some advice on these 3 at max? I'm not wanting you to choose my class, I am just trying to get some insight at max so I can try and narrow down my choices. I don't want to level all 3 (no time). Also my friend plays a warrior and maybe coming to pvp so most likely we will be playing together.

Thanks!

EDIT: I really enjoy dueling as well, along with world pvp. So that could be taken into consideration, but my main concern is 3s/rbg.
    Last edited by Boomkin91; 2012-12-02 at 03:16 AM.

Okay, i'll break it down into the 4 classes you've listed - giving the pro's and con's.

Bookmin
    Pro's:
    • Awesome AoE Pressure from DoTs
    • Quite easy to play
    • Good fun
    • Normally involved in RBG teams due to AoE from DoTs
    • Can respec to Resto with a couple of reforges
    • Can respec to Feral but requires new gear set

Cons:
    • Really bad in duels
    • Really bad in wPvP
    • Really bad in 2s
    • Reasonably bad in 3s
    • Hardly any comps and will hardly ever be invited to teams (as you said)

Conclusion:
    Awesome fun class, pretty fun in random BGs and I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Boomkin (my main is also a Druid) because it is SO fun to play. It's reasonably easy and you can see some pretty sick numbers from starsurge but it lacks survivability and reliable 1shot burst and is replaced by pretty much any other caster due to its lack of CC. It's also dog in wPvP and duels because of its lack of defensive CDs. Used a lot in RBGs but not really in 3s.

Retribution
    Pro's:
    • Good burst
    • Quite easy to play
    • Reasonably fun
    • Can respec to Holy but requires new gear set
    • Pretty good in duels and wPvP
    • Pretty good in 2s

Cons:
    • Never used in RBG teams
    • Not many viable 3v3 comps
    • Sustained damage is pretty poor
    • AoE damage is non-existant

Conclusion:
    Pretty fun class, nearly as fun as Boomkin. It's got a lot of utility and is pretty damn good in duels and wPvP cause of bubble, lay on hands and the selfheals it has. Ret also has a lot of burst which is undispellable now which made it a bit more competitive but there is hardly any 3v3 comps for it (Ret/DK/Healer is the main viable one) and there is never a Ret in any good RBG team.

Frost Mage
    Pro's:
    • Amazing burst
    • Amazing defensives
    • Fun to play once mastered
    • Loads of viable 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5 comps
    • Pretty good in wPvP and one of the best classes to duel with (if not the best)
    • Can always respec Fire or Arcane with a reforge

Cons:
    • No AoE pressure as Frost
    • Hard to master, and a lot harder to play than Ret or Boomkin
    • Is one of the more skillcapped classes

Conclusion:
    Not my favourite class to play by a long shot, but hugely viable and is pretty much a neccesity in a lot of RBG teams. There are hundreds (not quite) of viable 3v3 comps for Mage and it really is what makes or breaks a lot of games. As Mage you'll be asked to call nearly all the swaps, you'll be the tunnel target most games and you'll really have to know when to go defensive or offensive - and keep track of what your team and the enemy team is doing. Very very viable though.

Warlock
    Pro's:
    • Amazing burst with Demo and Destro, amazing sustained/AoE with Affli
    • Can always respec to other specs with a reforge
    • Loads of viable 3v3, 5v5 and RBG comps
    • Okay in wPvP and pretty good in duels

Cons:
    • A lot of spells to learn
    • Demo will probably get nerfed pretty soon

Conclusion:
    Really depends on what spec you play. All 3 have different playstyles and are nothing like the other, however all 3 are somewhat viable atm. There are people playing Affli, Destro and Demo. Warlocks are a must have in RBGs atm and have loads of viable 3s comps. They are the main source of QQ on forums atm though so it'll probably get nerfed before you get to 90.

Hope I helped, ask if you want any more info on any of them. I've played all 4 specs to some reasonable level.

As a side note to add to Ret, it has more than 1 viable comp right now and Vancleave is actually one of the less viable ones due to the state DK's are in right now.

Other comps you can look at:
    Ret/Feral/Healer (going to be a lot of feral fotm rerolls soon enough, so should be easy to find a feral)
    Ret/Warrior/Healer (despite the nerfs on wars this comp still puts out some great damage if played right)
    Ret/Warlock/Healer [RLS 3.0] (not as viable since the Demo lock nerfs but still works with decent players)

@OP:
    For Boomkin LSD will still be an option for you, you simply have to find a lock and healer that are willing to run it. The comp will be much better in later seasons as gear gets better and (we can laughably hope) Blizzard tunes down burst or adds more survivability to specs lacking it (Ele Sham, Boomkin, Enh Sham, Disc Priest).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iWolfBanei View Post
    Bookmin[*] Quite easy to play
    You didnt just say that, seriously?
    CAN be easy to play, if you know the class in and out and have played it for a while at some high rating. But from what I understand here, he havent. And it will then definetly be a lot harder to play then for example ret.

You btw forgot to mention that boomkin have one of the sickest burst in the game with cds.

Quote Originally Posted by Machomaije View Post
    You didnt just say that, seriously?
    CAN be easy to play, if you know the class in and out and have played it for a while at some high rating. But from what I understand here, he havent. And it will then definetly be a lot harder to play then for example ret.

You btw forgot to mention that boomkin have one of the sickest burst in the game with cds.
    In comparison to other classes, it's by far one of the easiest to play in Arena and probably -the- easiest to play in RBGs. It's harder now there is burst CDs but the fundamental playstyle is pretty damn easy. There is no real skillcap/skillcurve to Boomkin and the difference between a 1600 player and a 2200 player is no where near as obvious as it would be for other classes.

That said, I did forget to mention their single target burst, but it's not as impressive as Mages, Warlocks, or Warriors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iWolfBanei View Post
    In comparison to other classes, it's by far one of the easiest to play in Arena and probably -the- easiest to play in RBGs. It's harder now there is burst CDs but the fundamental playstyle is pretty damn easy. There is no real skillcap/skillcurve to Boomkin and the difference between a 1600 player and a 2200 player is no where near as obvious as it would be for other classes.

That said, I did forget to mention their single target burst, but it's not as impressive as Mages, Warlocks, or Warriors.

100k non-crit on instant starsurges and 50k moonfire/sunfire is pretty much just as impressive as mages and locks

Thanks so much Iwolf for the detailed reply and thank you those who also added input. I do agree that boomkin is relatively easy, and the burst with cds is sick but I still would like variety. I will definitely be leveling my ret as he is crazy fun for me at level 66. I guess I will just have to decide between lock and mage. I really like the mage, I just continue to see people complain about the lack of complexity and how dull all 3 specs feel which is disheartening yet I hardly find a lock that doesn't say they love their lock. Uhg the decisions! lol

EDIT: Question would be what do you have to say to the people making these statements on mages?
    Last edited by Boomkin91; 2012-12-03 at 04:00 AM.