Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by styopa View Post
    Fencers offers some great advice but the hitch is that multiple characters CANNOT email each other - no 'mailing crap to your alt'.
    I don't see it as a problem as the bank space is shared. The caveat is a matter of convenience, naturally.

There isn't a lot to hold on to in the game. Most of it is junk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't rage when you get raped in melee, believe me it will happen a lot until you understand the mechanics of the game. Range is favored heavily in general in terms of survival. I run a S/D and D/D self healing tanky built thief which allows me to always be the last one standing because stealth drops aggro unless of course you're up against those insanely overtuned elite dungeon skelk who hit you through stealth and perma knock down then they promptly whisper in your headphones in colin johansons voice lolumad and get sent a mail with a picture of his classic PR smile. Yeah if you couldn't tell I motherfucking hate those mobs in melee, of course all you have to do just like any other mob in this game go ranged and faceroll your way to victory but that's just boring.

Also, move constantly. Don't use your 2 dodges out of convenience (running to a mob) then get owned because you have no way of avoiding attacks. Btw all classes can engage ranged then switch to melee and play both rolls equally well for the most part. At lvl 7 or so you will get the ability to weapon swap in combat, you can go range/range or melee/melee or melee/range
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2012-12-03 at 08:38 PM.

Deleted
    If you come from Swtor and think that game is bugged you haven't seen anything yet. Guild Wars 2 is broken and bugged all over the place. Shame though, game itself is fun but seems there's no quality control at Anet.

Quote Originally Posted by Helistin View Post
    If you come from Swtor and think that game is bugged you haven't seen anything yet. Guild Wars 2 is broken and bugged all over the place. Shame though, game itself is fun but seems there's no quality control at Anet.
    I've only seen a handful of bugs that actually impeded my gameplay since launch, many of which were fixed shortly after. Any other bugs I found were silly or insignificant and had hardly any effect on my enjoyment of the game. Having played SWToR myself, I'd hardly consider Guild Wars 2 to have the same number of problems that SWToR did.

You may want to avoid putting too much opinion in your advice next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

- Sell all gathering materials on the way to level 80. Don't bother with crafting directly.

I haven't played in several months cuz I'm all addicted to MoP and stuff, so this here is super interesting to me.

Why don't we want to craft anymore?

Elaboration, I wants it.

It's way cheaper to just buy the armor/weapons than craft. Selling ore makes enough gold to buy like a full exotic set at half the price of the ore/cloth/leather it takes to even craft that stuff.

Powerleveling alts via crafting is way useful. But on your first character? Just get to 80 and build a nice income. Then you can roll level 80 toons in like 4 hours afk in a city.

Bleh, that is so unappealing to me, to level that quick by crafting. In my opinion the best part of the game is the open world. Racing to level 80 just cheapens that, even on alts.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll have every damaging ability you'll ever have, by the time you're level 5.
    There's no healers, no tanks, just dps. For most classes (last time i played at least) you'll spend most of your time spamming 1 (AKA basically auto attack)

What I did like was the graphics. I loved them, everything was so pretty and well detailed. I also REALLY liked the skins on the Bear pet that the rangers got.

spamming 1 only works for so long (well I suppose in a zerg you could use it forever). There comes a point in which you have to use your other skills for stuff like knockdowns and interrupts. Plus if you pick key utility skills you can use them just about every fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Bleh, that is so unappealing to me, to level that quick by crafting. In my opinion the best part of the game is the open world. Racing to level 80 just cheapens that, even on alts.
    I suppose, to a degree.

But to be honest, the second time through on my Warrior I just got bored of the same areas. I nearly completed the world on Ranger by then. So it was just the same stuff over & over for my Warrior. Byt level 50 I had enough and just 400/400 to 80.

I haven't managed to drum up excitement for the slow as molasses leveling & monotony on my other characters either. I think I made it to level 16ish, on Guardian before I caved and just master all the crafting to 80. Never left town on Engineer, Elementalist or Necromancer.

Though I do enjoy running about the world on those 80s. I just get sorta tired of leveling through the world from 1-80. All the areas you've seen already, all the events are the same and all the stories are the same too. Snore.

So far, only SWTOR and Guild Wars 1 have kept me alt rolling. I can't tear myself away from SWTOR sometimes. Very compelling. I just have to know what happens. :s
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-12-04 at 07:46 AM.

Heh, I actually enjoy that about swtor as well (although the side quests in that game is akin to getting your teeth pulled, for me anyway). I guess I just enjoy the world a lot in this game. It is the most visually appealing game I've ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Heh, I actually enjoy that about swtor as well (although the side quests in that game is akin to getting your teeth pulled, for me anyway). I guess I just enjoy the world a lot in this game. It is the most visually appealing game I've ever played.
    Agree on all accounts. The worst part of SWTOR are the side quests and fact you can't really chain story missions.

That's what I loved so much in GW1. If you wanted to just do the missions, you could run them back to back with no BS waiting. For the most part at least.

I enjoy the game world of GW2. I just don't enjoy being level 14 in the game world.

As always my mantra remains the same for all MMOs; Fuck leveling.

If you really want to get good you need to get a good game guide like zhaitans guide, everyone in my guild used it and has really made our guild strong

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chewy001 View Post
    if you really want to get good you need to get a good game guide like zhaitans guide, everyone in my guild used it and has really made our guild strong
    lol inb4ban

Mod edit: Please post constructively. Don't make pointless posts.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-01-21 at 11:52 PM.

Deleted
    There are a few big expenses you have on a first character, like bags (get 8 slot ASAP, then upgrade to 12 slots when you can afford the 75s or so it costs). Also the skill unlocks, a gold at lvl 30 for unlocking the 20-point traits is quite steep, but you can bypass it by just using a more spread-out build rather than focussing on one or two trait lines. I'm upgrading gear at 14, 26 and 36 off the TP, masterwork (green) gear costs are quite reasonable, usually about 10-15s for a set. You'll notice the quality of the drops and quest gear improves around lvl 40, and you can mostly avoid using the TP.

Personally for a first character I'd focus on doing hearts, exploring, taking every skill challenge while you come across them (opening up more skills early increases your available builds for different situations), leave crafting until late on the first character, sell trade mats on the TP, salvaging whites and vendoring blues and greens, except in those cases where it's a desired green (quick check on the TP). Map completion is only something to go for from lvl 55 onwards because of the level of the rewards. I would try and do the Daily achievement every day for the Jug of Liquid Karma, which is worth 4.5k to 7k - if you do that 30 times or so it will set you well on your way to a full set of Karma-bought exotic gear at 80. Doing the daily is also good for your purse

Deleted
    Just make sure you don't uninstall WoW or you'll regret doing that 3 days later when you're done with GW2.

Well.... yeah... one tip: think it all over before buying it. It's not very good.

Deleted
    Can't say I agree that one should consider the purchase carefully You can pick up a copy for as little as £29.99, it's without subscription, and it's a full MMO with some great features - that's a lot of value for the money, and you'll get your money's worth even if all you do is level one character, gawp at the scenery and enjoyed some pvp over a few weeks. It's like 3 cinema visits, or one night out with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbathed View Post
    I have Guild Wars 2 on my list for Christmas. My mom said she went looking for what I pointed out. (She thought I pointed out epic mickey, so I gave her that "Really." stare. She caught on and returned it) So, Assuming I'm getting it for Christmas, anything I should be ready to know?

I play a Death Knight on WoW, but I do like the "Melt your face, while having self heals".

I know this much so far:
    Every class can do every role.
    There isnt really "factions".
    World vs. World looks fun.

So any helpful tips on things I should know?
    I haven't read all the replies, but, if you want "melt your face and have self heals", go Necromancer. Necromancers can stack conditions (bleeds, poisons, vulnerability) like crazy, and stuff just melts. You can also heal yourself pretty well.

Also, I can't stress this enough, don't get into the game and expect it to be a WoW-clone. Some people do that, and find themselves disappointed. Go in with a fresh outlook, and you'll probably like it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 12:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's way cheaper to just buy the armor/weapons than craft. Selling ore makes enough gold to buy like a full exotic set at half the price of the ore/cloth/leather it takes to even craft that stuff.

Powerleveling alts via crafting is way useful. But on your first character? Just get to 80 and build a nice income. Then you can roll level 80 toons in like 4 hours afk in a city.
    Yep. I always tell new people to not bother crafting right away, just sell everything. There are guides out there as to what you need to power through crafts, anyway, so you won't necessarily need everything you find.

Don't know if someone said it before. Don't rush with the game. The lvling system is very good in GW2, and it's better to explore something at the edge of the map, then just kills NPC for XP.