10+ Year Old Account

Computer never turns on first try. Help!

Things that it'll do when it 'fails' to turn on:

1. Lights and fans and everything will power up, then die in like 0.7-1.2 seconds.
    2. Will power on and stay on, but some fans/lights will not power on and monitor/peripherals will not pick up the computer running (etc mouse or keyboard won't light up, monitor will say no DVI signal received)
    3. Simply won't power on.

When it does fully power on and everything works properly it doesn't ever fail, it'll run fine as long as its kept turn on, you can even restart the computer and it'll turn back on just fine, but if you purposefully turn it off, it takes around 5-10 attempts to turn it back on to make it run fine again.

I am wanting to sell this computer since I no longer game, so I really want to get rid of this annoyance, any suggestions? It does this no matter what power supply is connected also.
    Call me House.

Did you test other power supplies as well? If yes, motherboard died :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah other power supplies it would do the same thing.

But how could it be a dead motherboard if it will still sometimes work and turn on? Like a semi-dead motherboard or something?
    Call me House.

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdora View Post
    Yeah other power supplies it would do the same thing.

But how could it be a dead motherboard if it will still sometimes work and turn on? Like a semi-dead motherboard or something?
    Just reread your post, sorry. Well it's either the RAM/MB. Just get an usb stick out and run this tool http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20....installer.zip

Boot from the usb, this tool will test if your ram is working properly. If it freezes or fails, try each ram stick separately.

1. Lights and fans and everything will power up, then die in like 0.7-1.2 seconds.
    I just had this exact thing happen on a friends computer and after testing/replacing/rebuilding EVERYTHING else I replaced the motherboard and that fixed it. It was one of the AsRock Z77 Extreme boards if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogretron View Post
    I just had this exact thing happen on a friends computer and after testing/replacing/rebuilding EVERYTHING else I replaced the motherboard and that fixed it. It was one of the AsRock Z77 Extreme boards if that helps.
    :P

Well symptoms of bad ram is like this: PC boots 5secs later shuts down and boosts again shuts 5sec later down repeat&repeat. Or you can't boot up to Windows or your PC freezes complety not allowing you to click on anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I did make a major mistake. My desktop computer was actually once an OEM machine (actually runs an OEM version of W7) and I decided I would slowly take parts out and replace them one by one rather than just rebuild the whole computer at one time.

Basically at this point, the only things that are what was in the original computer (An HP Pavililion elite machine) are the motherboard and processor. I replace the 430w power supply, the 9gigs of ram that were in it with 16gb dual channel, the video card with a gtx 660 Ti, and the old case with a new case that runs way more fans than the motherboard has slots for. I think I might try putting the old RAM back in it (if I can find the old sticks...) and see if that fixes it.

At least I know its narrowed down to either motherboard or RAM. I am hoping its RAM... itd be much easier to fix and replace rather than a whole motherboard, and would be easier for me to in return sell my machine...

Thanks for the feedback guys!
    Call me House.

Well I did make a major mistake. My desktop computer was actually once an OEM machine (actually runs an OEM version of W7) and I decided I would slowly take parts out and replace them one by one rather than just rebuild the whole computer at one time.

Basically at this point, the only things that are what was in the original computer (An HP Pavililion elite machine) are the motherboard and processor. I replace the 430w power supply, the 9gigs of ram that were in it with 16gb dual channel, the video card with a gtx 660 Ti, and the old case with a new case that runs way more fans than the motherboard has slots for. I think I might try putting the old RAM back in it (if I can find the old sticks...) and see if that fixes it.

At least I know its narrowed down to either motherboard or RAM. I am hoping its RAM... itd be much easier to fix and replace rather than a whole motherboard, and would be easier for me to in return sell my machine...

Thanks for the feedback guys!
    I'm 90% sure it's the motherboard.