Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    It is an indisputable fact that human increase carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. That's direct causation, not correlation.
    Nobody born after February 1985 has experienced a below-average global temperature month.

Carbon emissions will probably continue to rise for the foreseeable future as developing nations increase their energy consumption.

Roughly speaking, one billion people produce half of the worlds emissions. The next billion only produce a sixth of the global total, but they are progressing towards our standard of living (which would be a roughly 30% increase in the global total). The rest of the world (who produce a small fraction of CO2 per capita compared to the wealthiest nations) also want to progress to the next level and so on...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Roughly speaking, one billion people produce half of the worlds emissions. The next billion only produce a sixth of the global total, but they are progressing towards our standard of living (which would be a roughly 30% increase in the global total). The rest of the world (who produce a small fraction of CO2 per capita compared to the wealthiest nations) also want to progress to the next level and so on...
    I'm pretty sure about 60-70% of all emissions come from China, the US and India combined.
    So please don't talk as if being wealthy and emissions are connected, they're not. It's just the US that's far behind the rest of the civilized world.

For countries in the EU to lower their emissions is really ineffective on a global scale because we hardly matter in the big picture. Sure it might be a nice symbol to the others that are struggling, but it's hardly a big deal here.

Honestly, the most progress can be made in China, the US and India. If they made some serious changes we would be out of this mess in no time.

But I can somewhat understand China and India, because they're still learning what it's like to live in a modern economy. I don't understand the US though, they're a wealthy(up for debate but that's off-topic) and modern nation... why are they more like China and India and not like the EU at all? Do they just have less regulation to keep things in check due to their extreme capitalism and hardly any government control on things?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    I'm pretty sure about 60-70% of all emissions come from China, the US and India combined.
    So please don't talk as if being wealthy and emissions are connected, they're not. It's just the US that's far behind the rest of the civilized world.

For countries in the EU to lower their emissions is really ineffective on a global scale because we hardly matter in the big picture. Sure it might be a nice symbol to the others that are struggling, but it's hardly a big deal here.

Honestly, the most progress can be made in China, the US and India. If they made some serious changes we would be out of this mess in no time.

But I can somewhat understand China and India, because they're still learning what it's like to live in a modern economy. I don't understand the US though, they're a wealthy(up for debate but that's off-topic) and modern nation... why are they more like China and India and not like the EU at all? Do they just have less regulation to keep things in check due to their extreme capitalism and hardly any government control on things?
    Both China and India produce less CO2 per capita than most EU nations, India significantly so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post

India, China, and the US combined are approximately 47.63% of global emissions. The EU accounts for approximately 14%, while the US is 18%, China is 23.5%, and India is 5.8%. Not sure why you're singling out the EU for not being important to Carbon reductions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...xide_emissions
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Carbon emissions will probably continue to rise for the foreseeable future as developing nations increase their energy consumption.

China should have introduced serious birth control long ago, split their population in 5 and they're not so bad anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    EU countries have a HUGE amount of cyclists.
    We sure do! This is pretty common in most towns.

In Copenhagen they encourage people to take the bike with them on the train

3%?! Why... That's almost nothing.
    3% would mean an increase of about 300 000 000 metric tonnes this year, thats alot..
    Last edited by mmoc2d62ae1d16; 2012-12-03 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I wonder why Australia produces so much emission per capita...
    Increases in their manufacturing industry, I'd guess. From my understanding, people drive everywhere there, much like they do here in the US, so that'd be the most likely culprit.

---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 04:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lolaan View Post
    A question (honest question, please don't flame).

Has anyone found proof (or strong evidence) that humanity's increased carbon emissions are in fact the cause of global warming?

Given the following:
    The 'greenhouse' effect of carbon dioxide is real (that's been proven).
    The planet has been warming up (at least for the past decade).

However, as many people on this forum are fan of saying, correlation does not equal causation.

What evidence do we have that it is in fact our excess production of carbon dioxide? Are we actually increasing the concentration in our atmosphere to the extent it actually has any effect? If so, what level does it need to be brought down to be considered "normal" (ie what is the "natural" level of carbon dioxide). If not, at what point will it start having an effect?

I just doubt that (though I'm happy to be proved wrong) the amount we're producing would really have any measurable effect on a planetary scale. The change in global temperatures could have any number of causes; why is this the correct one?
    No, they haven't. People will try to tell you otherwise, but there has been little to no conclusive or near-conclusive data to suggest it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I wonder why Australia produces so much emission per capita...

Extraction of natural resources + electricity from coal. And because we like it, and we can, and feels good to piss environmentalists off.

My wife posted a video on FB about this - unfortunately, I can't access FB at work, or I'd link it. But we're pretty much doomed. We either need to completely stop CO2 production yesterday for it to fall naturally back down to safe levels without intervention, or figure out a way to scrub billions of tons of carbon from our atmosphere. (I'm leaning on plants, myself - but we'll probably have to genetically modify them, as current plant forms don't have the ability to absorb that much.)

The primary problem is the atmospheric carbon cycle takes decades to make temperature changes. We've been warned since the 70s, and we're now really starting to feel the effect of the carbon buildup from that time. In the next 20-30 years, it'll continue to ramp up slowly. Like a frog in slowly warming water. Of course, by the time we really start feeling the hurt, it's far too late. Lovely thing about this little problem. People won't care until they're totally unable to do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
    My wife posted a video on FB about this - unfortunately, I can't access FB at work, or I'd link it. But we're pretty much doomed. We either need to completely stop CO2 production yesterday for it to fall naturally back down to safe levels without intervention, or figure out a way to scrub billions of tons of carbon from our atmosphere. (I'm leaning on plants, myself - but we'll probably have to genetically modify them, as current plant forms don't have the ability to absorb that much.)

The primary problem is the atmospheric carbon cycle takes decades to make temperature changes. We've been warned since the 70s, and we're now really starting to feel the effect of the carbon buildup from that time. In the next 20-30 years, it'll continue to ramp up slowly. Like a frog in slowly warming water. Of course, by the time we really start feeling the hurt, it's far too late. Lovely thing about this little problem. People won't care until they're totally unable to do anything about it.
    I see lots of evidence to support this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    China should have introduced serious birth control long ago, split their population in 5 and they're not so bad anymore.
    Mao killed more than 100 million people.. but I won't call him a genius.

He wasn't a "chinese" IMHO..... like Saddam, Bashar, Kadhafi, Lenine, Staline and every damn fuck dictator with bankster to help them... did I mention Adolf.

This damn " co2 propaganda " began in 1912, when the research for electric motor was thrown to the trash...

One century after, those manufacturers bastards are saying that the characteristics of electric cars could be approximatively the same it was in 1912.