Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best Antivirus/malware software to use

I was going to buy Norton, but ended up seeing alot more out there. Which is the most efficient one to use that won't slow down my computer too much?

Microsoft Security Essentials, and if you're uncertain on the malware side, Malwarebytes, both free, and really all you need unless you're literally not looking at what you're clicking on.

I have been using superantispyware for the last few years, however... after buying the program a couple years ago and a "lifetime" subscription suddenly this year they are trying to charge me again. I received an email saying I need to renew. I spent about 45 mins on the phone with customer support getting the run-a-round from them, I finally gave up and installed Malwarebytes and purchased it.. I use it in conjunction with Microsoft Security Essentials and I have never had any issues.

Avoid Norton Like the plague...
    "You take 4,994,468 boredom damage from daily quests.... You have died."

MSE + Malwarebytes here as well.

i'd recommend kaspersky. been using it for a number of years now. runs in the background without slowing down anything. i think they also have the best detection rate in the market.

I got malwarebytes free but says ofc trial ended, have you lot bought it or does the trial work? As it still allows me to scan? Or have you obtained it from a certain U site?

Deleted
    I use avast... because i'm cheap But it has never failed me, so no complaints here and i'd recommend it

I use Avast for antivirus and Spyboy S&D for spywaerz. I've tried many other programs but never really liked them. They've kept me safe, but I also use safe internet use practices.

To contrast, when my brother got his computer I set him up with Avast and Spybot. He goes to lots of Xbox and Minecraft hacking sites, downloads all kinds of toxic stuff, etc. But through all that, Avast has kept him safe from viruses; it was the oodles of spyware and adware in his browser that was causing him problems, because he never ran Spybot. Once he cleaned it all out though, he was fine.

So I'd recommend those two. Even with his bad practices, no viruses or other permanently damaging junk. Just be sure to observe good internet use habits, and update and run Spybot about once a week.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like nod32. I bought a copy for cheap and will continue to do so for renewing purposes, plus there seems to always be discounts going on for nod32.

Deleted
    i don't care on what i click and don't be afraid to download suspicious things and avast tell which are bad , make sometimes verification with online antivirus , no prob at all since ~5 years so i highly recommend avast

If your running 64 bit, then all you need is Malwarebytes pro. The web blocker and the real time protection is as good as any other anti-virus software.

Also, avoid mcafee and anything from symantec. Worst AV's ever.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    If your running 64 bit, then all you need is Malwarebytes pro. The web blocker and the real time protection is as good as any other anti-virus software.

Also, avoid mcafee and anything from symantec. Worst AV's ever.
    What's the difference between malwarebytes and malwarebytes pro?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    I was going to buy Norton, but ended up seeing alot more out there. Which is the most efficient one to use that won't slow down my computer too much?
    Ugh, no! Never, ever consider commercial antivirus! Norton and McAfee both are effectively viruses; they bog your computer down, they're extremely difficult to actually remove, and there's indications that they also "borrow" data that can identify you and send it to HQ... so they can try to sell you more crap.

For antivirus, get Microsoft Security Essentials. Your copy of Windows is legit, right? If it's for someone else, maybe someone who isn't as computer-savvy, I find Avast! to be the best "this is grandma's computer," antivirus since it makes it almost impossible to screw something up; there are some malware things that can get by MSE if you're stupid and click on things you shouldn't.

For malware, it's usually recommended you run two programs in tandem since as far as I'm aware, no one program is guaranteed to get everything. I've used Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy for ages and never had reason to look elsewhere.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I use escan antivirus on regular basis and suitable according to me.

Deleted
    MSE user here. I had good results with spybot also but prefer the less intrusive MSE

Quote Originally Posted by hellboyy View Post
    i'd recommend kaspersky. been using it for a number of years now. runs in the background without slowing down anything. i think they also have the best detection rate in the market.
    I vouch for Kaspersky as well, Been using it 2 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsparrow View Post
    MSE user here. I had good results with spybot also but prefer the less intrusive MSE
    Yup. We had problems with viruses and malware on the computers here at work (apparently the people our corporate office contracts out to do this sort of thing are terrible at their jobs and didn't setup any kind of decent antivirus or even a decent firewall.)

I initially fixed it and installed MSE, but the same virus popped back up when I came back from my days off - apparently people clicking on things they shouldn't be clicking on, probably while on Facebook.

Installed Avast! instead, and haven't had a problem since. I don't know how much of an impact Avast! has on performance, though, because we don't use these computers for games

So I'd recommend MSE if you're internet savvy and know not to click on certain things (and you should have NoScript/AdBlock for those things, anyway!) Otherwise, Avast! seems to be working fine.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Ugh, no! Never, ever consider commercial antivirus! Norton and McAfee both are effectively viruses; they bog your computer down, they're extremely difficult to actually remove, and there's indications that they also "borrow" data that can identify you and send it to HQ... so they can try to sell you more crap.
    this is quite possibly the worst advice i have ever seen, they only bog your computer down if you are using a 10 year old single core cpu, if you think they are the only way data can be leaked you are wrong, windows, flash, and many other programs installed on your computer do this, even wow

the data they use is for updating repositories and troubleshooting

For antivirus, get Microsoft Security Essentials. Your copy of Windows is legit, right? If it's for someone else, maybe someone who isn't as computer-savvy, I find Avast! to be the best "this is grandma's computer," antivirus since it makes it almost impossible to screw something up; there are some malware things that can get by MSE if you're stupid and click on things you shouldn't.
    MSE just failed certification

For malware, it's usually recommended you run two programs in tandem since as far as I'm aware, no one program is guaranteed to get everything. I've used Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy for ages and never had reason to look elsewhere.
    in general malware is all the same, what differentiates a virus, a trojan, and worm, is their function, intent, and modus operandi,

modern AV programs pickup and remove malware, adding extras just causes them to step on their toes

malwarebytes is mainly a scan and remove tool for post infected computers, not a preventative measure

for the most part, the number one AV is safe browsing practices
    after that, Kaspersky or Norton

AVG Internet Security, along with Spy-bot S&D, make sure you have no-script, adblocker +, also grab peerblock for super safe browsing.

Basically with this set-up, if you get a virus, you clicked on a wrong link.

Deleted
    I have used Kaspersky for years and it has never failed me yet. It gets used alongside Spybot S&D