Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Ok OP, I won't try to talk about that specific example, I will talk in general since I don't know those people and the "we leave because we don't like the new guys" might be related to them actually not liking the new guys, having nothing to do with them being all high and mighty because they were for 2 weeks more in the guild. Or it could have been that they wanted to make their own guild, led by them or something.

However, in general, people like to treat newer players bad because they're jerks, and by doing this it makes them feel better since they're high and might and the other guy is a moron(by their standards). These are people who either have problems in real life because they are weak and worth little there so feel the need to assure their supremacy here, or people with a big ego, as in "I'm good, you're bad" mentality. As you might have seen, not everyone is like this, but these people stand out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Did "spaz" refer to a population that has to be protected for their own good?

Talking about glass houses, Moana, think about those rocks.
    Yeah, it did. And I was providing an example from a period of time well over 30 years ago, and not self-confessing so relax.

People can grow out of name-calling and attempting to separate themselves out from others by the use of thinly veiled terms used to belittle and denigrate: some do, some don't. My point was while the words change over time, the attitude doesn't. Unless I missed something, people don't employ the repeated use of the word 'fanboi' as some label of approbation, admiration and good-heartedness.

We all live in glass houses on these public forums. It's well to remember that.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Because compared to the 80s generation this generation is so one dimensional and selfish.
    -SNIP-
    What an incredible collection of meaningless "facts" and thinly veiled bitterness you got here. Something I've noticed a trend of in your posts, I should basically turn off when I see your picture because wow do you enjoy hating on anything and everything you come across.

Every generation thinks their generation is the best, and even if they were, we are all dying so who cares. Judging a person by when they are born is much like judging them based on what letter their name starts with, or the colour of their skin. Sure you might get some ideas, but they are probably wrong and you just look like a narrow-minded bigot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Why is it that so many people treat players, who haven't been there as long as they have, as if they were lesser people.
    Elitism has always been a part of this game, even back in vanilla n00bs were treated poorly by more established players. It's just human nature and the transient quality of the WoW community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    People can grow out of name-calling and attempting to separate themselves out from others by the use of thinly veiled terms used to belittle and denigrate: some do, some don't.
    They're not in an environment that continues to ENCOURAGE it, especially on public forums.

Want a better community you have to change it. If the community itself doesn't want to change...they made their own bed and lying in it. The results is what you see, so no need to complain what is considered status quo.

If you can't change the environment wholesale, you make your environment to your liking. Which is how/why guilds exists (let alone different sites and forums).

The OP can change his own circumstances, not wait for someone else to fix it for him.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    What an incredible collection of meaningless "facts" and thinly veiled bitterness you got here. Something I've noticed a trend of in your posts, I should basically turn off when I see your picture because wow do you enjoy hating on anything and everything you come across.
    I'll reply to this in moderator text (ta da!) because some people may not be aware that posters that are continually annoying to you personally (even moderators who go on for too long about things) can be ignored.

Click on the settings link under your account name at the top of the page and scroll down a bit to 'Edit Ignore List' and click on that. You add or remove anyone who you don't want to see (although you'll still see them quoted in other posts of course).
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I'll reply to this in moderator text (ta da!) because some people may not be aware that posters that are continually annoying to you personally (even moderators who go on for too long about things) can be ignored.

Click on the settings link under your account name at the top of the page and scroll down a bit to 'Edit Ignore List' and click on that. You add or remove anyone who you don't want to see (although you'll still see them quoted in other posts of course).
    I actually really appreciate this post, mainly since I thought I was getting an infraction and instead was treated to a helpful tip on making these forums a nicer place.

So thank you!

Unfortunately, while ignorance is bliss - knowledge is power. I'd much rather see the entire conversation than miss out on posts, regardless of their quality, but I do appreciate you taking the time to put this out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're not in an environment that continues to ENCOURAGE it, especially on public forums.

Want a better community you have to change it.[/I].
    No one is encouraged here to insult others. Quite the opposite: if the insults get out of hand, people can pay a penalty for it. That's not news.

Regardless, the first step in building a better community is to take personal responsiblity and stop calling people or a group of people names, implicating that people are somehow deficient because they disagree, may not actually know as much as someone else, or like something that you don't.

Again, this relates back to the thread topic in that this has always gone on, probably always will go on and is a part of human nature. But that doesn't mean that anyone needs to just accept it by staying quiet about it.

---------- Post added 2012-12-02 at 03:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    I actually really appreciate this post, mainly since I thought I was getting an infraction and instead was treated to a helpful tip on making these forums a nicer place.

So thank you!

Unfortunately, while ignorance is bliss - knowledge is power. I'd much rather see the entire conversation than miss out on posts, regardless of their quality, but I do appreciate you taking the time to put this out there.
    You're welcome. It's a choice that's available to anyone who wants to use it. And from my perspective, more people probably should I used it liberally back in the day. I can't say that I felt like I missed much but opinions vary and that's fine.

Did "spaz" refer to a population that has to be protected for their own good?

Talking about glass houses, Moana, think about those rocks.
    I'm sorry but do you honestly believe people who have slowed/stunted mental development need to protected for their own good?

I'm not infracting this but this is a road we don't really need to go down. It's off-topic really, bound to be inflammatory and a thread derailment. So let's not go there and stop right here. [ML]
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2012-12-03 at 12:06 AM.

This gross problem of everyone expecting everyone to be an expert at the game, and that seemingly, new players don't exist, and aren't expected at all ever, is a huge problem with the game and the community, and is outright cancerous to the game itself. People expect -everyone- new to the game to NOT be new to the game. Seriously. Most everyone has a built in expectation of every player to be someone playing as an alt or otherwise, and new people don't exist. It's a big part of why the game isn't getting new blood, the community is horrifyingly toxic.

Deleted
    I have no problems with new players. This game has a lot of leeway for errors and as long as someone's willing to learn then they're tolerable and sometimes even enjoyable to be around. New players tend to have that spark of bewilderment and wonder that veteran players have totally lost.

This thread reminds me of the idiot in LFR or LFD complaining, "This has been out a year already, HOW CAN YOU IDIOTS NOT KNOW THIS AFTER 1 YEAR!!!"

And I always reply, "Maybe it's their first time in here, you stupid fuck."

This is game just attracts morons.

10+ Year Old Account
    No one is encouraged here to insult others. Quite the opposite: if the insults get out of hand, people can pay a penalty for it. That's not news.
    If moderators would police obvious flames, and not be a party of bait/report schemes, it would be ideal. HINT: an actual working report system. If you're asked to report and you do, but nothing is done, it's about as good as a trash can.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

15+ Year Old Account

The first step in building a better community is to take personal responsiblity and stop calling people or a group of people names, implicating that people are somehow deficient because they disagree, may not actually know as much as someone else, or like something that you don't.
    This is probably the best thing I've read on the forums in quite some time, and I've been here for about four years now. (Shameless plug of false seniority here ^_^) I don't actually know/remember when mmo-champ came up. A friend of mine pointed me here back during BC when I was nooby.

Yeah. 100 years ago white kids used to beat up blacks in the streets...

Good old days. So much superior compared to spoiled people nowadays

10+ Year Old Account
    If moderators would police obvious flames, and not be a party of bait/report schemes, it would be ideal. HINT: an actual working report system. If you're asked to report and you do, but nothing is done, it's about as good as a trash can.
    If you have a problem with moderation or any of the moderators feel free to make your thoughts known to Sunshine or Bibi. Now let's please return to discussing the topic at hand in this thread without any further derailments.

Deleted
    Don't really think that's something specific to wow. People 'naturally' tend to rate their achievements as higher than what they really are, and those of others as less important.

My wife being case in point ^^

http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/dvan.png

Because compared to the 80s generation this generation is so one dimensional and selfish.

The 80s generation was the last generation of kids who were self-sufficient (kids worked for their car; they even fixed their own cars themselves...many a boy became shade tree mechanics). They still behaved well at home, in public and at school. They lived in a world were letters were still written and read; where people actually met up to do something; they didn't text, they talked to each other on the phone or in person...and not for 2 minutes. Pizza night was a social event of 20+ guys crashing the local pizzeria (Papa Johns; Pizza Hut, Godfather's and the rest were just beginning, so you went to the local shop instead). Most cared less about politics, and if any did, they weren't polarized. Music was fantastic, the start of a music era that revolutionized what people considered as modern music...it was fun music for the most part, not this grunge junk or music to commit suicide over. Schools were schools not prisons, complete with gangs and metal detectors -- boys learned to fight with their fists, not some cowardly 9mm, and knew darn right they'd have their hide tanned if they did, so they didn't fight at a drop of a hat.

And we didn't have a vocabulary that included words like "retard".
    Oh give me a break.

Deleted

The 80s generation was the last generation of kids who were self-sufficient (kids worked for their car; they even fixed their own cars themselves...many a boy became shade tree mechanics). They still behaved well at home, in public and at school. They lived in a world were letters were still written and read; where people actually met up to do something; they didn't text, they talked to each other on the phone or in person...and not for 2 minutes. Pizza night was a social event of 20+ guys crashing the local pizzeria (Papa Johns; Pizza Hut, Godfather's and the rest were just beginning, so you went to the local shop instead). Most cared less about politics, and if any did, they weren't polarized. Music was fantastic, the start of a music era that revolutionized what people considered as modern music...it was fun music for the most part, not this grunge junk or music to commit suicide over. Schools were schools not prisons, complete with gangs and metal detectors -- boys learned to fight with their fists, not some cowardly 9mm, and knew darn right they'd have their hide tanned if they did, so they didn't fight at a drop of a hat.

And we didn't have a vocabulary that included words like "retard".
    Laughing out Loud!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Oh give me a break.
    Todays generation is a lot worse than the 60's/70's/80's/90's, it's pretty obvious. I was raised in the 90's and I'm so glad I was, kids today are spoiled and lazy little brats. Back then we actually went to each others houses or played in the street to socialize, now people do it all over Facebook.