Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

What 3 champs should I "L2P" first?

So I just started playing LoL due to "popular demand" and being bored in general. I have pretty much 0 RTS experience.

Going into my 3rd day of playing the game I decided that I'll "L2P" 3 different champs for starters and work forward from there. Maybe play a few other champs a few times just to get to "know their abilities".

Here's what I was thinking:
    - Either Ryze or Xerath for a ranged hero
    - Either Garan, Udyr or Warwick for a bruisher/melee
    - Blitzcrank for support (maybe some other, easier support?)

Which ones do you guys think I should go with? As for now I'm leaning towards Ryze+Garan+Blitz but is that really a good setup to go for? Are there easier champs around that'll enable me to learn the ropes faster?

I'd be glad for any input or advice you seasoned LoL heroes could come up with

Deleted
    One of each;
    1 support
    1 ad carry
    1 ap carry
    1 solo top
    1 jungle

Then you're pretty good over all.
    And specificly, who to specialize in; uhm I think it gets down to personal preference. Play some of the f2p champs, and see who you like best -> maybe watch some tournaments, or "high elo" streams, to see what champs tends to get banned a lot (needless to say, avoid playing too much of these, and it would suck for both you and your teammates, if you "only know how to play the banned champ".)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrillzDatKillz View Post
    One of each;
    1 support
    1 ad carry
    1 ap carry
    1 solo top
    1 jungle

Then you're pretty good over all.
    And specificly, who to specialize in; uhm I think it gets down to personal preference. Play some of the f2p champs, and see who you like best -> maybe watch some tournaments, or "high elo" streams, to see what champs tends to get banned a lot (needless to say, avoid playing too much of these, and it would suck for both you and your teammates, if you "only know how to play the banned champ".)
    From what I've understood Garan can solo tops at least and Udyr is a good jungle (Warwick can jungle too I guess?).
    And Blitz is support, obviously.

What does being an AD/AP carry even entail? I have a vague clue about it but I'm not entirely sure Some examples, maybe? Can Ryze or Xerath fill either of these roles?

10+ Year Old Account
    Any of the cheap 450 ip champs are all good to play and learn.
    Easy to unlock, and strong in their own ways.
    I suggest just unlocking them one by one in any order, learning them, and continuing on.

---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 07:50 PM ----------

Jungling is tough without runes/leashes/proper experience at a low level.
    It will be even tougher when the Pre-S3 changes come in this week, so I'd avoid there for a while.

Don't buy runes until lv 30, that's a major note!
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Xerath isn't really such a strong champ, at the moment. He has a nice poke, but it's not that hard to dodge. I wouldn't recommend him.
    For starters mid, Ryze is a good and easy pick. Just build him with mana and cooldown reduction. He is quite strong too, but low range.

Blitzcrank is easy to play, hard to master. His pull is hard to always land perfectly. I prefer playing Leona or Alistar support, all three are offensive and enjoyable.
    For solo top a lot of champs work great, just pick what ever you feel like.

If you want to learn jungling, Warwick and Udyr can also do that quite easily.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I did some jungling as Udyr. I just love jumping out of the bushes in bear-stance and stun the hell out of people trying to run away so they can be ganked, lol :P

I also soloed dat damn dragon, woop.

You should at the very least learn to play 1 champion for each of the 5 roles within the game (adc, support, ap, top, and jungle.

For ADC (attack damage carry) i would recommend picking up ashe since she is cheap (450 ip) and is really easy to learn. Other good adc's to learn include ezreal (3150 ip) for mobility, and graves (6300 ip) for early game harass.

For support i would recommend picking up soraka (450 ip) since she has a simple move set consisting of just healing and providing mana for your team as well as providing debuffs to the enemy team (silence, magic resist debuff). Other good support champions include sona (1350 ip) and blitzcrank (3150 ip) for early aggression on the enemy team.

For mid lane (ability power champion) i would recommend picking up Ryze (450 ip) to become familiar with the role. Once you get more comfortable in mid lane (last hitting minions, and harassing enemy) you should rotate into more aggressive mid lane champions. Some of my personal favorites for mid lane include Evelynn (1350 ip), Katarina (3150 ip), twisted fate (1350 ip) and morgana (1350 ip). All of these champions have high roaming potential so if you get ahead in your lane you can roam to the other lanes to help them get kills. If you want to be a good mid lane player you should try to help the other lanes whenever you see a kill opportunity within them.

For top lane, some easy champions to learn include jax (1350 ip), irelia (4800 ip), malphite (1350 ip [even tho` i believe he is better jungler]), and olaf (3150 ip). If you play a top lane champion remember that your role is mainly to protect the adc and assassinate the enemy adc. A common mistake new players make when playing top lane is that they will build pure damage since everyone wants to be the one getting kills. However; you will win more games by simply building tanky items (health, armor, magic resist) since the majority of these champions have high base stats.

For jungle, i believe that maokai (6300 ip) is the easiest champion to learn how to jungle with. His passive grants you 7% of your max hp after 5 spells are cast near you which provides easy sustain in jungle. Also hit toolkit consisting of snares, slows, "mini-wards" (sapling), and a damage reduction ultimate makes him a very useful champion no matter what phase of the game you are in. While leveling if you choose to jungle you are going to want to pick a champion that has some form of CC since you wont be able to rely on the lane you are ganking to assist you in getting a kill. Other champions with good cc include nunu for a slow (450 ip [support and decent jungler]), skarner for his ultimate (6300 ip), and malphite (steals movement speed from enemy, slows enemy attack speed, knockup ultimate) (1350 ip)

Anyways i hope this quick list helps you, good luck in your first few matches.

- Kràzy (1628 Elo)

15+ Year Old Account
    Cheers for the post, Krazy. Definately some food for thought!

I guess I'll pick up Ashe next once I have some more IP (Bought Ryze and Garan yesterday) and do some AD carrying.

I really like Blizzcrank for support, though. The pull is a bit tricky but really rewarding once you land it :P Was supporting a decent Garan in one game and we roflstomped people whenever I managed to pull them.

I'll keep your suggestions in mind when I continue purchasing new champs

Garen is weak champ, it's poor mans Darius. Not recommended. Ryze is one of the strongest late game ap carry, but you can get countered and destroyed easily before you get there. Udyr has issues initiating fights. Personally I think safest bets would be something like cait adc, sona support, karthus/morg mid, olaf/jax/irelia/malph top. Ww jungle is fine, but not top tier ... cho or amumu are cheap good junglers. In ranked games morg, malph and amumu are perma banned at low elo. Still good champs to learn stuff with.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mao is only like 4500 ip now, by the way.

Also I would recommend staying away from him. He may be easy-ish in the jungle.
    But he does require some skill to play well.
    Screw up his ministun, and you can screw up your allies positioning. The amount of times I have seen suicidal Mao roots is HUUUGE. His Saplings are just nubbish, but good. His ulti requires skill.

IMO, Xin, Shaco or Rammus are all much easier and better champions to learn to jungle with.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Deleted
    Hey, is Garen
    http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Garen

I find blitz quite hard as first support if u don't know the game, maybe I would take a ranged like sona/janna.
    I know it's early for you but at the moment is almost impossibile to play Blitz in drafted as he is banned 99% of the times.
    About top being tank/protective...well, lately I've been told on this forum that building tanky Riven is quite stupid, so I guess that's not one of the fixed rules in this game.

You decided for 3, but I hope you will try all the champions in free roation at least once, is really important to give you an idea of what you will face.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKraka0 View Post
    ezreal (3150 ip)
    - Kràzy (1628 Elo)
    He is actualy 6300IP, agree with everything else you said.

Would also recomend Annie as a strong mid pick, easy to pick up and learn.

For jungle Cho´gath would be a good pick great sustain and decend ganks once u learn to land his skillshot, He doesn´t need runes as much as some others so an overal great starter pick. He can also go top.

@ Repefe: Garen is defiantly not a weak pick he may not be top tier but he is certenly more thenn viable after his remake. ( He will also crush Darius in lane )

10+ Year Old Account
    I would suggest you learn to play solo top and mid good, for starters.
    What I've done lately is I took two champions: Irelia and Syndra. Irelia has some nice sustain and damage to face almost anyone in top lane. She's a bit harder to play good, though. But honestly, she's surprisingly good, better than the last time I played her, half a year ago. And she's quite fun to play.
    Now, Syndra is also a great champion. She's better than people give her credit for, I think. Each of her spells, except the ultimate, does a lot of damage and does AoE damage. And that, I find, is quite important because you can farm minions while harassing your opponent. Her Q and W combo alone with almost always clear out the caster minions at once. And her ultimate is just incredibly strong. I've shut down so many opponents from their lanes with it.

Also: just yesterday I played a mid Irelia. Against Fizz. I played that role because we had an afk mid. I actually did surprisingly good! He never got me lower than 70% hp while I'd do insane damage to him with Q and W. That's not to say Irelia will do well against all mid champs but I was honestly surprised at how good I did.

Also, another thing to keep in mind is: you don't necessarely want to rack up kills. Your goal in any lane is to last hit while trying to stop your opponent from doing so. It will really hurt his income while yours is far ahead. And that is often a game changer. My Irelia vs Fizz match ended up with me having 16 kills and 220 minions killed with Fizz having 3 kills and 60ish minions at the end of the game. There was just nothing he could have done.

So long story short: find a champion you like, play him well then learn some other champions. And farm farm farm!

PS: I wouldn't suggest jungling simply because it's a much harder role to learn than anything else, except maybe ad carry. It's just stressful not knowing where to go when your top and bot are both pushed :/

Deleted
    I've seen a lot of good ganks with a pushed lane, either coming from your own turret, or diving them with 2/3 champions.

- Warwick is an amazing top laner. Many people seem to underestimate his potential to wreck shit throughout the whole game. All you need to do is start offensively with a Doran's Ring, and build your way up to become more of a tank. You can also decide to focus on your damage by getting MPen boots for a really strong early game.

- Blitz is often banned in draft/ranked, so I would recommend picking up another support. Sona is a safe pick, Leona is a great aggressive pick, although she's a bit FOTM atm.

- If you want to play Ryze, then I would recommend to immediately start using smart casting if you haven't already. All you need to know with Ryze then is to nuke in the following skill order: R > Q > W > E > Q > W > E. ALWAYS prioritize Q, because it has a very short cooldown and every spell you use reduces the cooldown of all other spells by one second.

I would suggest learning Soraka for a support. She is a fairly safe choice and can become very strong late game, helping sustain your entire team a little bit longer. Built with the right support items, and if you ward well, you'll soon become a Juggernaut of disruption. Her silence is particularly tasty for very bursty AP's or any champ that has to channel their stronger spells.

For AD, I woudl suggest Ashe or Tristana, as they are fairly simple auto attacking Champs. Ashe doesn't have a solid escape though. You could also try Corki.
    RETH

The easiest support to learn at first is Soraka, in my opinion. Very simple, straightforward abilities, and you don't need to be some super aggressive superman as Soraka, you can just sit back and sustain for the most part and do pretty well.

Ryze is probably a good start for mid.

Can't say much about top(when I play top, which is rare, I usually just go with Rengar, Zed, random F2P champions or whatever I feel like playing)

My first jungler was Skarner, but I'm not really sure which one would be best to start with. Probably a good AoE champion with sustain. Probably shouldn't jungle unless you know exactly that its what you want in the beginning, because before level 20(when you can use Tier 3 runes) you'll be much squishier than with a full runepage, and it makes a much bigger difference than in lanes, because skill really doesn't make a difference in how much damage you take. Getting leashes in random games is rare as well, even if you ask nicely.
    Jungling is probably the role that requires most map awareness and decisionmaking, because you need to decide when to gank, counterjungle, take over lanes for a bit and go back to fountain, all of which depend on the other lanes.
    Overall I'd probably recommend Maokai as a starter jungler, because he has a very easy CC, suicide terrorist wards(thats the official name, right?), decent AoE and sustain.

Ashe or Tristana are some nice and simple ADCs to start with.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Drathos View Post
    The easiest support to learn at first is Soraka, in my opinion. Very simple, straightforward abilities, and you don't need to be some super aggressive superman as Soraka, you can just sit back and sustain for the most part and do pretty well.
    In terms of support I will reiterate this. Soraka is very much a case of sit behind your ad feeding them mana and heals so they can be the aggressor. watch some support streams learn where to ward, ensure you ward plenty and in good spots. Basic areas are tri and drake, should allow you to see any gank at lower level play.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can get Alistar and Tristiana for free by subscribing to riots youtube channel/facebook. Might want to pick themm up as good support/ad carry

Deleted
    1 support -- Blitzcrank (gets banned quite a lot) or Soraka/Janna/Lulu/Leona/Alistar (depends a lot on your lane partner)
    1 ad carry -- Ezreal or Corki (Those are two very good ADC's, even the best)
    1 ap carry -- Karthus or Morgana
    1 solo top -- Jax or Malphite (are very strong top laners which aren't too expensive)
    1 jungle -- Amumu (is cheap. I wouldn't play jungle untill you got tier 3 runes though because it is hard and near impossible).