Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Keep in mind I'm assuming you're playing on a level 4 account or something, and you're just trying to get a feel for each individual role. Some of these champs I suggest are expensive (6300 IP), but are well worth the investment. In saying that, don't buy them now, play them when they roll around in free week. Nothing worse than buying a champ, not clicking with it and having it sit there idle for the next year.

My recommendations would be:

AP Mid:
    - Annie
    - Ryze
    for your cheap and easy characters (450 IP each, not particularly hard combos)

From there it depends what kind of AP mid you'd like to 'specialize' into I guess. You can go burst assassins like Katarina, Ahri, chunky mages like Swain or Diana (although she is both, stupidly enough). All these type of champs will be more expensive though, so I'd still recommend learning the cheap basic ones. Annie is a walk in the park, crazy easy to snowball and farm with her.

Jungler:
    - Warwick
    - Skarner
    - Maokai

Warwick is extremely safe, you should never really drop low in your jungle at all, and his ganks are easy post level 6. Skarner is more of the same, but his ganks are a little bit better pre-6, but he is again strong overall and has a game-changing ult. I put Maokai in there because he is very, very easy to gank with. A simple root and knockback and it's typically a kill. There's a bit more to him than that, but obviously you'll pick up the intracacies as you go along.
    I would avoid champions like Lee Sin and Shaco, even though they both can be great junglers, they need to get a roll on early or it's a no-go for mid and late game. They also have slightly more complicated abilities.

Top:
    - Jax
    - Irelia
    - Olaf
    - Jayce
    - Derpius

By far the most common top lanes you'll face. In saying that, you don't NEED to know all of them; just learning Irelia for instance is good enough, or Jax. They can pretty much make it with the majority of the top laners, and they are always strong choices. There's other weird paths you can go down, like Vladimir top, but honestly he is more difficult than them.

Support:
    - Taric
    - Blitzcrank
    - Sona/Janna

Taric is faceroll. Literally nothing to him but a walking stun, a bit of burst and a heal. He works with EVERY ADC in the game, and nothing on him is hard to master, but he's always a safe pick. Blitz is harder, but he's fun to play and you feel like a bit of a champ landing good grabs all day. Sona / Janna are another 2 that are good, but a little bit more complicated as they're generally squishy. You sound like you want to try Blitz, so give him a go I'd say.

ADC:
    - Ezreal
    - Corki
    - Graves

Any of these 3 work well with every support. Then there's 'the rest', like Ashe, Miss Fortune, Varus, Caitlyn etc, but they generally aren't as strong in all matchups. In saying that though, they're perfectly viable, and Ashe is one of the easiest to play and is cheap. She's a good place to start, but I'd recommend trying these 3 at some point.

Of course, people will suggest different champs in every position, but I feel these picks are generally 'safe' and are some of the more enjoyable characters (after having tried them all out). Best of luck with everything, and remember that at low level it's a bit of a clusterfuck with everybody going everywhere, so don't worry too much about picking correct positions.

TLDR:
    Out of your champs I would take:
    - Ryze
    - Warwick
    - Blitzcrank (try Taric!)
    Last edited by Hateful; 2012-12-03 at 12:31 PM.
    Who knows what secrets hide in the dark?

Ah yes...*I* do...

To be honest, it's all preferences on who YOU like to play. But like most people in this thread, i strongly agree with learning all roles in the game. I've gotten plenty of times that I had to wait because we couldn't have 2 carries or 2 mids. Pretty annoying.

My favourite champions are
    Top: Cho'gath
    Mid: Viktor (I find him fairly easy to play, his lazer can give some issues first time and the fact to he is hardly played, so nobody actually knows how to counter him)
    Bot Carry: Ezreal/graves just my mood
    Bot Support: Blitz (easy to play, hard to master for good grabs. If you pull the wrong person into the group your team gets wrecked. Hard.) or Taric (of the fifth age, no hating)
    Jungle: whatever my mood is, I don't play it very often but when I do it's mostly Master yi or amumu. Yi for fast clearing or amumu if i want to annoy people with my grabs.

But again, it's all about who YOU want to play, So I say, play some of the f2p champs, or (if it allows you to) buy champs (RP) that are in sale and try those out. It's what I did.

Runes: Buy at level 30. Not sooner. Make sure they are Tier 3

Just make sure that you have all lanes covered with the cheap champions that you like and farm. Farm the living heck out of that IP.
    Heck, I started out with annie and did that till I was level 15 or so.

My suggestions for you?

Basicly what Hateful said

The thing is with playing blitz as a support, outside of the grab/knock-up you don't have much to do.
    Playing something like Sona/Soraka would benefit your team more imo.
    Picking up Leona along the way is pretty good since she is one of the stronger supports imo. You can play SUPER agressive and you'll get away with it.

Taking ashe is a pretty safe adc, since she was the slow/stun and she's pretty easy to master.

Don't take Udyr to jungle when you're starting out, after your stun people can run away and just laugh at you and there's really nothing for you to do about it. Amumu, cho'gath and Lee Sin do way better.

Pick up Ryze, Morgana or Katarina as mid champs. They're quite easy to learn and katarina makes you able to fuck up while the other team will have to play way better just to survive your burst.

For top champs, pick up Irelia or jax tbh. You'll have a lot of fun and they have both high survability and some cc. Irelia stun/slow, jax has a slow aswell.

Hope this helps you out =)

Edit: kinda forgot about the 3 champs. But you should really just learn all roles. I have some friends that can only play 1 role and it's damn annoying to play with them.
    Last edited by Faeris; 2012-12-03 at 12:57 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to offer a different outlook that will pay off when you reach summoner level 30 (or 20, really).

Don't buy any champions until you have 3-4 generic rune pages* to cover a majority of champions for the roles you enjoy.

I have known too many folks (including myself) that purchased champions w/ IP and found themselves having to IP boost @ 30 to get full rune pages faster.

Play each and every free champion. Even if you find you don't enjoy them, you'll know their capabilities when you face them. This knowledge is incredibly important, almost as significant as mastering your own picks.

*What do I mean by generic rune pages? Four roles (AD Carry, AP Mid, Jungle, and Support) can mainly be covered by 1 rune page each...they look like this:

AD Carry: AD Reds, Armor Yellows, Magic Resist per Level Blues, and AD Quints

AP Carry: Magic Pen Reds, Armor OR HP/level Yellows, AP Blues, AP Quints

Jungle (AD based): Attack speed reds, Armor Yellows, MR per level Blues, Move Speed Quints

Support: Armor Reds, Armor Yellows, MR/level Blues, Gold per 10 Quints

I forget what the total is, but we're talking tens of thousands of IP to complete 4 generic rune pages. You'll be able to play the vast majority of champions with these four.

So, unless you want to drop RL money and buy RP to acquire champions you like...I would stick to the free rotation until you get yourself some Tier 3 runes (available at level 20+).
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2012-12-03 at 03:22 PM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    How much RL money would it be to get enough point if I stop buying champs now at lvl7...?

As in pts from 7 to 30 and then the RL money added up.

10 euros (like 12 dollars) or around that? I dont mind putting in that much but if its any more I guess I'll just start that saving up and farm some more at 30 :P

Also, spent the majority of today playing Ryze and started to see some success with it.

Gonna go for Ashe for that AD carry experience tomorrow!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenfinn View Post
    How much RL money would it be to get enough point if I stop buying champs now at lvl7...?

As in pts from 7 to 30 and then the RL money added up.

10 euros (like 12 dollars) or around that? I dont mind putting in that much but if its any more I guess I'll just start that saving up and farm some more at 30 :P

Also, spent the majority of today playing Ryze and started to see some success with it.

Gonna go for Ashe for that AD carry experience tomorrow!
    Are you talking runes? Runes cannot be purchased w/ RP.

That's why I suggest saving IP for runes...and if you really must have a champion before 3-4 rune pages (talking tier 3 runes here) are established, buy some RP.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Garen weak? I counter that with DEMACIAAAAAA

Also, rune pages are pointless until you're at least 20. Infact, rune pages are pointless until you're 30, runes are only important once you hit 20. The majority if junglers can be covered by your standard ADC/AP runes, and supports like Soraka and Sona don't exactly do badly with AP runes. Dem heals be strong mon.

If you play a champion you really like on free rotation buy it. Play it lots and learn it. Don't bother with runes until you're 20 and don't bother buying extra rune pages until you're 30 and seriously interested in playing ranked. If you're playing for fun standard ADC/AP runes will cover it.
    Last edited by Farolok; 2012-12-03 at 11:31 PM.

ne porvivajo nur mortigi tempo

If your looking to start up rune pages you should buy tier 1 runes at first. The tier 2 runes are not a significant upgrade over the tier 1 runes so they are a waste of IP to purchase. Around level 12 you should be saving up your IP so that when you hit level 20 you can buy full tier 3 runes for the 2 rune pages you have. For an AP champion's rune page i would recommend going magic penetration marks (Greater Mark of Insight), Mana regen seals (Greater Seal of Clarity), and flat ability power glyphs (Greater Glyph of Potency) and Quintessences (Greater Quintessence of Potency). If you are looking to play more safe in lane or are worried about harass damage against the enemy champion, replace the flat ability power glyphs with flat magic resistance glyphs (Greater Glyph of Warding). When i play AP this is the normal setup that i go with since it gives you good early game harass.

As for ADC, i personally found that flat attack damage marks (Greater mark of strength) and Quintessences (Greater Quintessence of Strength), flat armor seals (Greater Seal of Resilience), and magic resistance per level glyphs (Greater Glyph of Shielding). This basic setup helps with last hitting minions and harass with the attack damage runes, and also helps you survive harass from the enemy by boosting your resistances.

When i play support i use similar runes as if i was playing an ADC, except I replace the flat attack damage marks with flat armor marks (Greater mark of resilience) and gold per 5 Quintessences (Greater Quintessnce of Avarice)

As a jungler, depending on who i play i will either use my ADC rune page (lee sin, riven, shaco, Kha'Zix, Shen), a hybrid AP / ADC rune page (Maokai, Amumu, Nautilus, Malphite), or my Support rune page if i decide to jungle as Nunu. My hybrid rune page is the same as my ADC rune page except I use flat ability power Quintessences (Greater Quintessence of Potency)

I personally would not recommend purchasing RP at first, as personally I did not start to buy RP until I hit level 30. If there is something that you want in the game however and you do not have enough RP for it, I would recommend waiting until it went on sale before purchasing it with RP. One thing that is definately worth picking up with RP is rune pages. I believe that to be successful in every role, you should have a minimum of 3 rune pages (ADC, AP, Support). To play almost every champion well, you are looking at a minimum of 5 rune pages (ADC, AP, Support, AD Jungle, AP Jungle). Of course eventually you are going to find champions that you do extremely well on and will want to set up specific rune pages for them (Ex: im setting up an attack speed / ADC page for irelia).

If you ever have question on how each champion should be built, check out the solomid website. Their guides are written by professional LoL players and are a great thing to read if you want to get better on a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    I'm going to offer a different outlook that will pay off when you reach summoner level 30 (or 20, really).

Don't buy any champions until you have 3-4 generic rune pages* to cover a majority of champions for the roles you enjoy.

I have known too many folks (including myself) that purchased champions w/ IP and found themselves having to IP boost @ 30 to get full rune pages faster.

Play each and every free champion. Even if you find you don't enjoy them, you'll know their capabilities when you face them. This knowledge is incredibly important, almost as significant as mastering your own picks.

*What do I mean by generic rune pages? Four roles (AD Carry, AP Mid, Jungle, and Support) can mainly be covered by 1 rune page each...they look like this:

AD Carry: AD Reds, Armor Yellows, Magic Resist per Level Blues, and AD Quints

AP Carry: Magic Pen Reds, Armor OR HP/level Yellows, AP Blues, AP Quints

Jungle (AD based): Attack speed reds, Armor Yellows, MR per level Blues, Move Speed Quints

Support: Armor Reds, Armor Yellows, MR/level Blues, Gold per 10 Quints

I forget what the total is, but we're talking tens of thousands of IP to complete 4 generic rune pages. You'll be able to play the vast majority of champions with these four.

So, unless you want to drop RL money and buy RP to acquire champions you like...I would stick to the free rotation until you get yourself some Tier 3 runes (available at level 20+).
    Those Rune suggestions aren't terrible but most high elo pages prefer something like this, at least for AD and AP carries:

AD: ArP Quints, Flat AD Marks, Armor Seals, MR/lvl Glyphs (defensive) OR ArP Quints and flat damage across the board.

AP: Flat AP Quints, Magic Pen Marks, Armor Seals, MR/lvl Glyphs (defensive mid/AP-based junglers) OR Flat AP Quints, MPen Marks, AP/lvl Seals and Glyphs.

Jungle: Use the defensive pages for AD or AP depending on champ. Alternatively, later down the line when you can afford to consider swapping to Movement Speed Quints.

Support: GP10 is a waste of runes, you get plenty from the Mastery and having 2 GP10 items. I would suggest the defensive AP page, OR MPen Quints, AP/lvl Marks, Armor Seals (HUGE on squishy support like Sona/Janna), Regen/CDR Glyphs (or a mix, I run 4 regen 5 cdr).

EDIT: On-topic: Pretty much any champ marked as "Recommended" is good for new players. Some have higher learning curves than others. As has been pointed out Annie is a really easy, solid AP mid with excellent CC, damage, and farming potential. Ziggs as well. As long as you don't get overzealous farming with skills he's capable of dumping out a lot of burst, and a well placed explosive charge will allow you to launch yourself to safety AND cause any melee attackers on you to be knocked back.

AD Carry: Again already mentioned, Ashe is excellent for learning the role. She farms well, has a slow and a stun, as well as extra gold and the ability to see areas of the map. Caitlyn, Tristana and Ezrael are all good bursty AD carries with escapes. Caitlyn is a little tougher to play, but with practice all three are effective at farming, zoning, and escaping.

Support: All of them have been mentioned. Sona spam spells, lots of buffs, good CC on the ult, lots of early harass potential, but also VERY squishy. Janna gets to shield, knockback enemies/heal allies with her ult, slow, knockup. Taric for the obvious reasons. Low CD stun, efficient heal (that also heals himself), extra armor for your carry, some burst damage potential and an offensive damage buff for allies on his ult.

Janglez: Hardest to master. Champs with high sustain like Xin Zhao (can literally just buy a vampiric scepter and take his passive lifegain to sustain in jungle at level 1) or champs with high defense and CC like Amumu are good to learn. Very little chances of dying to jungle creeps, effective ganks. I would put Rammus on this list as well, at least at lower ELO.

Tops: Garen is a good top to learn. His passive and only restriction on abilities coming from CDs make him very good for trading damage and keeping pressure on. His passive ensures that he's essentially always at more HP than his opponent. Also, as much as I hate to say it, Darius. Slow, grab, decent passive, high burst, and of course his ult that deals true damage and doesn't go on CD if it's a killing blow. His innate tankiness lets him harass from level 1, and against squishier tops they'll often try to trade damage early only to realize too late you're going to out damage them.

The most important thing is to be comfortable on a champion. I ran Blitzcrank top against a jungleless comp in a normal (as I was still working on getting his grabs down) and ended up dominating a double bruiser lane. As you learn what a champion is capable of as well as your own skill level you'll find yourself pulling off some incredible plays.
    Last edited by Priestiality; 2012-12-04 at 12:14 AM.

For support I take Armor reds, armor yellows and MR blues. You'll spend a lot of time in lane being poked by an AD carry, it definitely helps if you're taking less damage from them. MS quints are what I'm going for next.

10+ Year Old Account
    AD: ArP Quints, Flat AD Marks, Armor Seals, MR/lvl Glyphs (defensive) OR ArP Quints and flat damage across the board.

AP: Flat AP Quints, Magic Pen Marks, Armor Seals, MR/lvl Glyphs (defensive mid/AP-based junglers) OR Flat AP Quints, MPen Marks, AP/lvl Seals and Glyphs.

Jungle: Use the defensive pages for AD or AP depending on champ. Alternatively, later down the line when you can afford to consider swapping to Movement Speed Quints.

Support: GP10 is a waste of runes, you get plenty from the Mastery and having 2 GP10 items. I would suggest the defensive AP page, OR MPen Quints, AP/lvl Marks, Armor Seals (HUGE on squishy support like Sona/Janna), Regen/CDR Glyphs (or a mix, I run 4 regen 5 cdr).

The only AD still running ArmPen is Draven. They can be useful on Junglers though

GP10 makes a massive difference for most supports. You can go without in kill lanes on account of the fact that kills will give gold and you want the tankiness if you don't get the kills.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodian View Post
    To be honest, it's all preferences on who YOU like to play. But like most people in this thread, i strongly agree with learning all roles in the game. I've gotten plenty of times that I had to wait because we couldn't have 2 carries or 2 mids. Pretty annoying.

My favourite champions are
    Top: Cho'gath
    Mid: Viktor (I find him fairly easy to play, his lazer can give some issues first time and the fact to he is hardly played, so nobody actually knows how to counter him)
    Bot Carry: Ezreal/graves just my mood
    Bot Support: Blitz (easy to play, hard to master for good grabs. If you pull the wrong person into the group your team gets wrecked. Hard.) or Taric (of the fifth age, no hating)
    Jungle: whatever my mood is, I don't play it very often but when I do it's mostly Master yi or amumu. Yi for fast clearing or amumu if i want to annoy people with my grabs.
    Yeah, Viktors laser is pretty awkward at first, but when you get used to it its just godly.

And about runes, yeah, wait until level 20 and buy T3 runes. Filling a runepage costs ~10-20k IP, depending on which kind of runes you want(because AD quints being cheaper than AP quints makes sense somehow)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

I still maintain that playing Annie will teach you the fundamentals of League in a way other champions will not. That isn't to say Annie is particularly strong or a good champion. Annie kinda sucks, tbh.

But her kit and the way you are forced to play her is very in synch with League's basic design.

You really are not going to learn anything mechanically speaking with most of these suggestions.

Deleted
    Well, since you're low, I suppose you wouldn't want to farm a lot of time for the IP, so I'll try suggesting some cheap-ie champions you might like.

Jax as solo top, he's been always a strong pick, his sustain, damage output, jungling potential, everything is good at him.
    Kayle for AD carry or support. Yes, you can play her ad, real men build Infinity Edge + Phantom Dancer. For support, you can also get Alistar for free by subscribing to the Riot youtube channel + one skin. The other INCREDIBLY-EASY-TO-PLAY support option is Taric, which I recommand you to get after Kayle.
    Ryze for mid. His damage is insanely high, he has a lot of sustain/aoe damage due to his ultimate, and is pretty easy to play. To increse his damage, you only need to buy mana items. ( I usually go for mana crystal which I turn into a Tear of the Goddess, then build catalyst and, obviously , boots, then frozen heart, archangel etc)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    - Warwick is an amazing top laner. Many people seem to underestimate his potential to wreck shit throughout the whole game. All you need to do is start offensively with a Doran's Ring, and build your way up to become more of a tank. You can also decide to focus on your damage by getting MPen boots for a really strong early game.

- Blitz is often banned in draft/ranked, so I would recommend picking up another support. Sona is a safe pick, Leona is a great aggressive pick, although she's a bit FOTM atm.

- If you want to play Ryze, then I would recommend to immediately start using smart casting if you haven't already. All you need to know with Ryze then is to nuke in the following skill order: R > Q > W > E > Q > W > E. ALWAYS prioritize Q, because it has a very short cooldown and every spell you use reduces the cooldown of all other spells by one second.
    Yes, but No.

You do kinda make up for it by saying always prioritize Q, but the spell order is not how it will be if he have CDR or Blue Buff... Then he can put in a Q between every single other ability.... Just a little offnote
    Last edited by mmoc818e8c0ca4; 2012-12-04 at 08:38 AM.

I find Twitch a good easy ADC to play.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Seems like there are as many good heroes as there are players :P

Though I do see some consistency among the replies for good picks for certain roles and they certainly align with what I've heard from other sources

For now I will be going for:

AP mid/carry: Ryze
    AD carry: Ashe/Tristana
    Support: Soraka (and occasionally Blitzcrank!)
    Top: Udyr or something else (depending on what champs are free next) most likely

Gonna hold off jungling for now.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Having just started about a month ago and already boasting a decent elo (or so I'm told) I will give you the advice given to me. Learn to play on difficult champs. Usually they are difficult not because they have confusing abilities or are generally bad, its because widely translatable skills such as positioning are so important.
    For example:
    Twitch. Incredibly squishy, but has some crazy abilities which will cause you to be a gank magnet. Positioning in the lanes is so important it will also teach you the importance of warding. You will begin to get ganked frequently after downing the first tower in your lane so your reaction will be (should be) "I need to see whats coming from the jungle". Therefore you develop that knowledge and practice keeping the wards up. It will even help you with timings. If there is an enemy Kassadin in mid, you will learn that if you dont have a ward down by the time he is level 6, you wont see him coming (and he will be shortly, especially if you have already downed a tower).

This is just an example of my experience and I am by no means an expert just my two cents. I currently play Kassadin (80%), Twitch, Morgana, Shaco, and Zen.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    The only AD still running ArmPen is Draven. They can be useful on Junglers though

GP10 makes a massive difference for most supports. You can go without in kill lanes on account of the fact that kills will give gold and you want the tankiness if you don't get the kills.[/FONT]
    That's why you take the GP10 mastery and a Philo + Heart of Gold/Kage's Lucky Pick depending on champ.

Alternatively, if you want to win without doing anything at all buy Katarina. OP, needs nerf.