Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why do rolling chairs have 5 wheels?

God damn my leg and elbow hurt.

But anyway, it's pretty obvious that I just fell over and my first thought was "6 wheels would have prevented this".

Does anybody know if there is a specific reason to have a specific number of wheels on the chairs? Would it be too hard to roll or something?

I would imagine that 5 is the least number that still provides acceptable resistance to falling over. Less material = less cost.

10+ Year Old Account
    all about stability. could prolly get away with only 4 wheels. but im sure companies spent big bucks to research these things. cost of materials + design = 5 wheel stability.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I would imagine that 5 is the least number that still provides acceptable resistance to falling over. Less material = less cost.
    I was going to say I'd pay for an extra wheel, but I probably wouldn't based on the fact that I find my own fuckups amusing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just think five is the "magic number" for stability. Four/two/three wheels, weight is less evenly distributed, easier to fall. Six and up... I dunno. Maybe some fancy physics makes it easier to tip over because of more points that can align or whatever?

Dunno, pretty damn good question, now that I think on it :P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    I just think five is the "magic number" for stability. Four/two/three wheels, weight is less evenly distributed, easier to fall. Six and up... I dunno. Maybe some fancy physics makes it easier to tip over because of more points that can align or whatever?

I'd love to get one with 2 wheels:P It would be great exercise balancing that thing while doing something on my computer.

Well, an odd number provides more stability in one point in that there can't be any right-angular alignment of all the wheels, but more wheels itself also provides more stability in that the allowed space for two wheels to be aligned with each other is smaller. 7-wheeled chair!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Well, an odd number provides more stability in one point in that there can't be any right-angular alignment of all the wheels, but more wheels itself also provides more stability in that the allowed space for two wheels to be aligned with each other is smaller. 7-wheeled chair!
    You start funding the production, and I'll sit on your lawn with my wallet in hand!
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

You start funding the production, and I'll sit on your lawn with my wallet in hand!
    Take it slow, make it happen, set a course.

Take it slow, make it happen, set a course.
    Make one model with 11 wheels, one with 7. Sell them in 7-11s. Marketing is done, I demand 20% of the profits for my genius marketing job.

Just buy a recliner and place it in front of your computer desk then find a plank of wood to use as a keyboard/mouse tray.
    Or even better yet build a custom computer desk on wheels that rolls into the recliner.

Works best if you have a recliner that doesn't rock and does not recline unless the footrest is extended (should also be a cloth recliner so you don't stick to it"

I did it for years when I was a teenager and the recliner doubled as my bed a good portion of the time.

somone just needs to attach a chair to the base of Johny 5

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    Just buy a recliner and place it in front of your computer desk then find a plank of wood to use as a keyboard/mouse tray.
    Or even better yet build a custom computer desk on wheels that rolls into the recliner.

Works best if you have a recliner that doesn't rock and does not recline unless the footrest is extended (should also be a cloth recliner so you don't stick to it"

I did it for years when I was a teenager and the recliner doubled as my bed a good portion of the time.
    Both of those options sound far worse than dealing with the occasional tumble from my chair. An immobile chair is a no for me because I usually sit very close to my desk. I also don't have a keyboard/mouse tray because I fucking hate them.

A mobile desk is just asking for horrible things.

Probably the most important thing for stability is the length of the legs, not the amount. But now that I think of it, pretty much every office chair I have seen has the same wheel base radius. Hmmmm...
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    This hasnt happened to me ever actually. Sometimes I lean back real far in it too to reach something since I'm lazy, and there is a rug behind my chair so it's hard to roll it over. But my chair never tips

Do you have a small office chair or one of those big leather ones (I use the latter, the cheapest one on the market though) and it's pretty steady

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Probably the most important thing for stability is the length of the legs, not the amount. But now that I think of it, pretty much every office chair I have seen has the same wheel base radius. Hmmmm...
    Any wider and you will be kicking the legs with your feet when you sit in it. I already do but I'm taller than the average. The legs shouldn't go out further than the front of the seat of the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Well the legs aren't going to stick out much from the seat. I suppose they could, but it would be inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    This hasnt happened to me ever actually. Sometimes I lean back real far in it too to reach something since I'm lazy, and there is a rug behind my chair so it's hard to roll it over. But my chair never tips

Do you have a small office chair or one of those big leather ones (I use the latter, the cheapest one on the market though) and it's pretty steady
    Big and black leather, like the kind you can turn around and say "I've been expecting you." in.

Erm if it was 4 movement would be harder, e.g. to turn on the chair not spin,

6 would act the same as 5, so its a waste on costs

and lastly, how did you fell over on a 5 wheeled chair oO
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

I havent fallen over in my 5 wheel chair, however it has consumed a few of my blankets =3
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    God damn my leg and elbow hurt.

But anyway, it's pretty obvious that I just fell over and my first thought was "6 wheels would have prevented this".
    Funny, my first thought would have been "Ow, fuck! My leg/elbow!"