Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Any other Australians annoyed at how long it will take?

So I just looked at the rollout plan for Fiber-optics in Australia (See: http://nbnco.com.au/rollout/rollout-map.html) and my area isn't going to see construction of it until December 2014. I know it's about damn time, but how can they take so damn long to implement it? Last I checked, construction of it began in 2010 so how does it take 5 years to finally begin construction in my area and THEN not complete until mid 2015, so we're talking almost 6 years in the making here.

Do not get me wrong, I think it's great we're finally catching up with most the other high-tech countries and 25/5Mbps to 100/40Mbps is a miracle for Australians that want to stream finally! but how does this take so long? Is it really that complicated for them to construct? Are there any Aussies in this forum running the new fiber-optic internet here in Australia? If so what's the speed like and how long was the construction once they started to get to work at it?
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2012-12-03 at 01:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could get fiber from at&t right now but honestly there's no point its still slower then my current service with the timewarner cable, costs more, and has a data cap. Almost forgot they charge 200$ to install it if you don't sign up for 2 services.

Just be glad you are getting it at all. It probably will be another 20 years before 100+ mbit is affordable over here unless google starts rolling out nationwide.

I'm with lockblock on this one, you should count yourself lucky that they've given you a firm time frame. The town I live in has a population of 30k, but it is still in rural Ohio, no one is saying anything about a time frame for fiber in our area.

Meanwhile my area doesn't even have an ETA yet at all. All I know is that we're getting it.. way off in the future after Labor loses the next election.

It depends, lining up workers, securing right of ways. Things can get time intensive. I love my Verizon Fios. More shows and speeds that crush it into the ground for the same price.

Deleted
    There needs to be another generation of xDSL technologies with greatly improved DSPs (if that's even physically possible) and that will nicely cushion the transition to end-user fiber over the coming decades. Copper may be coming to an end but there's still some life left in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be lucky to be above what I have at all in the next 8 years.

They're already pushing to enforce tighter bandwidth caps, because apparently 60gb/month is being abused.

Haha that's nothing. I live in Northern Michigan and just at the end of my street has cable and DSL but not on down my street. I live in the country. er well Forest actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta love portugal, we are broke as hell in mostly everything but atleast we have fiber everywhere, might just sell it to pay our debt!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, at least you know you'll get good Internet in the future! : )

I live in a city with more than five million people in the metropolitan area, and I'm lucky if I break 1.5mb/s.

Penrith area is apparently getting it end of next year, that's all fine and dandy but I'm not too fussed since I'm on optus cable and get upto 100mbps at times. Even if the upload speed isnt that great I can live with it for now.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

My area isnt even shaded on the map yet so 2015+ which is lame. I live in a city too, so I'm a little confused on why my suburb is skipped.

I so annoyed I live in Bargara which is a small town just outside of Bundaberg, that close most people think its a suburb. Bundy is getting it in 2013 and they stop just short of Bargara it bullshit they should do it all in the one hit.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure where so many Australians get this idea that we're so far behind the rest of the world.

In the cities, we're on par with the rest of the world. It's the country that's behind (which, if you ask our American friends that live in rural Ohio, they'll confirm that they have similarly bad internet I bet) but still not that bad.

Obviously there's a few exceptions, Japan and the Scandinavian countries have ridiculous internet, but most don't (England, Canada, USA all have similar internet for big chunks of the country).

And more importantly, it makes almost no difference. I don't have fibre but I have cable internet that runs at 100Mbit (ie, the same as fibre anyway). Testing has shown we get 80Mbit/s on speed testing websites, which is likely what you'll see on fibre. But, no website offers that, most will give you a maximum of a few hundred KB/s (ie, no better than ADSL) and p2p won't be any better because of the way it opens lots of connections to download small chunks of a file. Steam is about the only thing I've seen vastly greater performance on and rarely get above 3MB/s (so we're using about 4-5% of our bandwidth).

Also, the small hop between you and your ISP will make no difference to latency for US based servers and minimal to aussie based servers (may be different for people living in Sydney though since the servers are there so your connection to your ISP is a big chunk of your connection).

Upon saying all of that, I find that I have an extremely stable connection nowadays compared to ADSL.

On a side note, I just thought of an awesome example with a storm water drain being compared to a garden hose but both only have the amount of water going through it that fits in a garden hose.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Laying fibre is a massive task. 500 square miles took since 2008, and it's aiming for 98% coverage by the end of this year. To cover Australia is just a massive undertaking so it's all about being patient. I do know your frustration. I've been there. It's something you've got no control over, and i think that's what's worst about it.
    Remember, Australia is 7,618,000 km² or 2941326.3mi². That's a *lot* more than 500 square miles.

The best bit about fibre though, is once the cables are laid, the end points just need to be upgraded to increase speeds fast.

More annoyed DotA 2 is getting Australian servers and is smaller than its competitor League of Legends. Blizzard is still the gaming giant though yet.. :/ (no aus servers </3)

Quote Originally Posted by blitz156 View Post
    More annoyed DotA 2 is getting Australian servers and is smaller than its competitor League of Legends. Blizzard is still the gaming giant though yet.. :/ (no aus servers </3)
    I wish blizzard would put in WoW servers here, they've got more than enough resources and money to make it happen.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by stuck4cash View Post
    Steam is about the only thing I've seen vastly greater performance on and rarely get above 3MB/s (so we're using about 4-5% of our bandwidth).
    Correction: If you get 3MB/s from Steam, you are using 24% of your bandwidth.

I've got 70/10 here, which can give me a total of 8.75MB/s from Steam if that is the only program using bandwidth. Which I actually have occasionally hit (think I peaked at 8.8 once actually) when my girlfriend is not home and when steam hasn't had immense traffic.

I friend of mine told me that 8megabit equals to about 1megabyte.

OT: Glad to hear Australia is rolling out fiber though! I'm heading to Melbourne in march to study there for three years, and I am not looking forward to the sudden steep pricing of the Australian internet coupled with your slow speeds. Maybe when I'm done there, the quality of the internet is somewhat "scandinavian". :P

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    As others said be glad they have put date for you as I live in QLD and my area atm has no schedule for fiber yet and also I am stuck on adsl 1 (150kb/s).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck4cash View Post
    I'm not sure where so many Australians get this idea that we're so far behind the rest of the world.

In the cities, we're on par with the rest of the world. It's the country that's behind (which, if you ask our American friends that live in rural Ohio, they'll confirm that they have similarly bad internet I bet) but still not that bad.
    I think i'm very lucky to have a 7mb adsl in a rural village in Sicily (Italy).