Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Something to do besides gaming/WoW

Hello, I rarely visit these Off-topic forums, but I'm still sure that alot of these topics have been up before.

On my sparetime (outside of my education time) when I don't play WoW, I play bowling, in a team with about 20 other people. However I'm moving soon (due to studies) and I'll probably not begin practicing bowling again because the last 2 years have been pretty crap in comparision to my 11 year long carrier. I will most likely start playing again, but I will take a break from it until I'm done with my engineering studies.

I feel like I want something else to do besides gaming on my sparetime, I love music and I've been trying to work with music in different ways but I've never found anything that I felt was really fun.

Do you have any ideas on what I could do outside of WoW/gaming? Begin to practice something new? I'd love to hear your opinions!

And I'm also curious about:
    What do you do on your sparetime? (Besides gaming)

(English isn't my native language)
    Minions... servants... soldiers of the cold dark! Obey the call of Kel'Thuzad!
    *chills*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhod View Post
    Hello, I rarely visit these Off-topic forums, but I'm still sure that alot of these topics have been up before.

On my sparetime (outside of my education time) when I don't play WoW, I play bowling, in a team with about 20 other people. However I'm moving soon (due to studies) and I'll probably not begin practicing bowling again because the last 2 years have been pretty crap in comparision to my 11 year long carrier. I will most likely start playing again, but I will take a break from it until I'm done with my engineering studies.

I feel like I want something else to do besides gaming on my sparetime, I love music and I've been trying to work with music in different ways but I've never found anything that I felt was really fun.

Do you have any ideas on what I could do outside of WoW/gaming? Begin to practice something new? I'd love to hear your opinions!

And I'm also curious about:

(English isn't my native language)
    Read books, watch movies/TV, drink alcohol with friend, exercise. That's it mostly. Most hobbies just cost too damn much money or require a workspace, and I live in an apartment.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Cycling is probably my biggest hobby besides video games, that and reading.

But it feels great to go for a bike ride, see how fast you can go, get exhausted, sucks now that its getting cold though, because its much harder to maintain a comfortable temperature while cycling.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Read books.
    This, there's not enough time in the world for me to read everything I'd want to.

Reading is one of the few things where there's enough material out there to be certain there's something everyone will enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I watch a lot of movies and series, other than that. Not a whole lot.. I do go for a 30min -1hour walk as often as I can though, less now when it's snow and cold.
    Just wish I lived somewhere else, nothing but asfalt and concrete here.. I really need to move somewhere else before I go mad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've recently become fond of programming. I actually made a program for my friend's birthday in VisualBasic and it was quite fun designing it and learning how to do a few things I didn't already know. I'll be making three more for Christmas as people I've showed this to have already expressed interest. That, school, hanging with friends and working is all I do if I don't game.

We can't really give you any advice on what you should do aside from do something you like. Pick up a simple hobby that you can put down when you need to and can just as easily pick up when you wanna do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I'm not gaming I pass my time with watching series (and to a lesser extent, movies), read books or write. I listen to a lot of music too but it feels wrong to put it down as a hobby since I close to always do something else while listening, and I don't make any music myself. I'm also thinking about picking up Warhammer again, but only for painting and making environments. I very much enjoy pleasing the creative part in me.

If you're having trouble coming up with ideas, and the default movies/music answer isn't enough, my advice is to maybe try some old hobby that you've enjoyed in the past or to see if there's anything connected to your current hobbies that you haven't tried out. I love a good story and I keep thinking up races/characters for a fantasy world so now I've finally decided to try and make something of it, if only for the pleasure of writing.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

I like to cook when I'm bored sometimes, mostly baking. Shortbread, cookies, pies etc. Sometimes I'll try something new for dinner, like I made homemade dumplings the other night that was pretty fun.

Deleted
    Hit the gym, start bodybuilding and get huge! This will make other men jealous, attract women and will enable you to squash bastard enemies like beetles.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2012-12-03 at 04:53 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    How about enjoying the college life and stop gaming for a while?

---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 05:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Hit the gym, start bodybuilding and get huge! This will will make other men jealous, attract women and will enable you to squash bastard enemies like beetles.
    Not to buffed tough, makes you look like a meatbag
    ∞=0
    0/2 = 0 , ∞/2 = ∞
    2/0 = error , 2/∞ = error
    0*2 = 0 , ∞*2 = ∞

I write. A lot.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RüneRS View Post
    How about enjoying the college life and stop gaming for a while?

---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 05:52 PM ----------

Not to buffed tough, makes you look like a meatbag
    You can never be too buff, its a lifelong pursuit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    I read, write, watch movies/tv series that interest me, go out for drinks with friends, go shopping (new shoes, oooOOOooo). Fairly mundane stuff I suppose.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    This, there's not enough time in the world for me to read everything I'd want to.

Reading is one of the few things where there's enough material out there to be certain there's something everyone will enjoy.
    I'm with you on this.

I love to read and I probably do it more than gaming now.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    You can never be too buff, its a lifelong pursuit.
    yeah if you look like a meatbag you are too buff, its pretty easy to look too buff, well its probably hard but its possible.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    I'm also thinking about picking up Warhammer again, but only for painting and making environments. I very much enjoy pleasing the creative part in me.
    Heh, I used to paint the models for my dad and little brother. I wasn't really interested in the game but painting the models sure was fun
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Deleted
    I enjoy building Models, A 3D Diorama for them,and researching about the vehicle.
    I am working one featuring a Jagdpanther hiding in a forest getting ready to ambush a small convoy of Supply Trucks.

I find it a great hobby, that you can work on a project and then just let it sit for a bit, when other more important things start happening. Unlike say playing in a band. Were if you need to leave it can ruin it for the others.

The downsides are however. It will take up allot of space quickly. first its a nice small Aeroplane. Next thing you know you got a Train Set running around half your room. Other things include cuts, from Wood,Metal,Plastic pieces. Paint spilling and the stubborn piece (that is in every kit) that will not stick properly.

i just got into reloading ammo. I use so much i blow a ton of money on it. Now im spending about half the cost making my own. I normally play wow for hours and hours on weekend mornings and this weekend i spent maybe an hour on it then logged to do some reloading.

Everyone in the guild lost the drive to raid after cata, so i think a lot of them are quitting soon. I feel the same. I spend my time in wow doing some dailies and just farming crap. I had a good run in Cata, was one of the first 5 people on the server to get the legendary, so im pretty happy with my accomplishments. If i stopped playing some time soon i dont think it would bother me too much. I didnt play all summer and it was the best thing i ever did.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post

Even for the illiterate? I'm so sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    Heh, I used to paint the models for my dad and little brother. I wasn't really interested in the game but painting the models sure was fun
    Haha same, I was so proud of the paint job on my Lizardman Kroxigor. Couldn't for the life of me tell you how to play the game though.