Macro help, noob to the macro

I need help with macros please

I know what they do.... haha but implementing them ... ehhh

I want to make a macro for serpent sting, pet attack, and arcane shot, all in one... I dont want to fire serpent sting over and over, if it is up, ya know.....

Can someone read what I am trying to write here, (that another issue I can never explain thru typing my thoughts) and help me out....

Thank you very much!

Johnny

Deleted
    The reason you are just firing Serpent Sting over and over is because it's on a global cooldown just like Arcane Shot. You can't make a macro like this unless you make a cast sequence macro, which is a very bad idea.

so a mcaro with arcane shot, and serpent sting (only shot when it is to be refershed) is impossible? Could you somehow do cobra shot in with it?

Deleted
    well you don't need to keep spamming serpent sting.. you apply it once and then you refresh it wit cobra shot or chimera shot. Even if u do a macro like that you will most likely have to 'click' that macro 3 times. Because those skills, 2 of them share a GCD ( greater cool-down). What you can do is either:
    /cast [insert here] -> serpent sting or arcane shot
    /pet attack

Don't do that. Just macro pet attack to your SrS and arcane with this macro and then keep your SrS up with cobra shot/steady shot.

#showtooltip
    /cast Serpent Sting (Replace w/ Arcane Shot for second macro)
    /petattack [@target,exists]
    /petfollow [@target,noexists]

Basic rundown of the macro. Shows the tooltip of SrS or Arcane, depending on what shot you have /cast in line 2, followed by the pet attack. If you are attacking a target and using the macro, the pet will attack that target until you target another mob and use the macro, or untarget the current mob and click the macro, in which case the pet will run back to you and follow you.

Or use a modifier.

/cast [modifier: shift] Serpent Sting; Arcane Shot
    /petattack

2 of them share a GCD ( greater cool-down)
    By the way, it's "Global CoolDown" because it puts all of your abilities globally on a CD, other than those that are specifically flagged to be unrestricted by it.

But as he said, they are both on the GCD, so you cannot have them both as just simple /cast's in a macro. You can't have it just do serpent sting when it's not up, either, as that's reaching the point where the game is playing for you. Just monitor it yourself and hit shift+bind if it falls off.

I don't recommend binding pet attack to things like this either, as if you are required to switch to a long distance (for your pet) target, especially if it has low-ish health, it's better to just keep your pet where it is. But as it sounds you are more of a beginner anyway, so play how you wish.

I found Kripparian's video on useful macros to be helpful. Here is the link:

---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 01:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralphoenix View Post
    I don't recommend binding pet attack to things like this either, as if you are required to switch to a long distance (for your pet) target, especially if it has low-ish health, it's better to just keep your pet where it is. But as it sounds you are more of a beginner anyway, so play how you wish.
    I don't necessarily agree with you here: On some abilities like KC, I would think having a macro that sets your pet to attack to ensure the pet is attacking the appropriate target is very useful.
    Last edited by Beebeey; 2012-12-03 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barberry View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with you here: On some abilities like KC, I would think having a macro that sets your pet to attack to ensure the pet is attacking the appropriate target is very useful.
    Say you're 40 yards away from the boss, your pet is on the boss, and an add spawns 40 yards behind you. You can switch to it immediately, but your pet has to run 55 yards before it can KC. Unless it's super critical that it dies ASAP, you are better off leaving your pet where it is - in which case, if it's bound to all your attacks, would be a PITA to do. If you have it bound separately, you have full control of where it is at all times. Basically, you don't gain anything out of doing that other than appeasing your laziness. While I think a separate bind is the superior way to do it, it is still just preference, you are free to play as you wish.

Say you're 40 yards away from the boss, your pet is on the boss, and an add spawns 40 yards behind you. You can switch to it immediately, but your pet has to run 55 yards before it can KC. Unless it's super critical that it dies ASAP, you are better off leaving your pet where it is - in which case, if it's bound to all your attacks, would be a PITA to do. If you have it bound separately, you have full control of where it is at all times. Basically, you don't gain anything out of doing that other than appeasing your laziness. While I think a separate bind is the superior way to do it, it is still just preference, you are free to play as you wish.
    "Feel free to play as you wish:" Oh no, feel free to correct me if I need correcting on this one. I'm here to improve my overall performance as a player, so any advice on such subjects is always taken into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Barberry View Post
    "Feel free to play as you wish:" Oh no, feel free to correct me if I need correcting on this one. I'm here to improve my overall performance as a player, so any advice on such subjects is always taken into account.
    It's also an extreme case, though. Blink strike and "ranged" KC have definitely improved that situation a lot in fights that require heavy/long distance target switching, but it's not perfect, so I still prefer the way I have it. Be forewarned it does take some getting used to (from others I've talked to) if you've never explicitly hit a bind for petattack before, and you may be a bit frustrated realizing 5 seconds in that your pet hasn't moved. But that's mostly the case for any new/changed bind, this one is just pretty big one for a BM hunter (really just a hunter in general). I usually like to do a couple heroics or something unimportant to force it to habit on a big change like that so as to not get irritated over it in a raid environment where it matters.

It's also an extreme case, though. Blink strike and "ranged" KC have definitely improved that situation a lot in fights that require heavy/long distance target switching, but it's not perfect, so I still prefer the way I have it. Be forewarned it does take some getting used to (from others I've talked to) if you've never explicitly hit a bind for petattack before, and you may be a bit frustrated realizing 5 seconds in that your pet hasn't moved. But that's mostly the case for any new/changed bind, this one is just pretty big one for a BM hunter (really just a hunter in general). I usually like to do a couple heroics or something unimportant to force it to habit on a big change like that so as to not get irritated over it in a raid environment where it matters.
    I have been doing that a lot: Switching to BS when there is a high add priority per fight: I can think of a few fights where such a bind would be really useful right now: Spark phases on Elegon -- I don't have an issue with sparks, but I could see others switching BS in for the encounter. Tsulong is definitely a fight where I use BS for the add phases and probably Windlord, although I just switch from BM to SV for the encounter.

Yea, I've been experimenting with a few new binds already, so I know it takes a bit. I just use them between our raids downtime to help with the learning curve on such things.