Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

An Idea for Alts and PvP

I was thinking the other day about how impossible it is to enter competative arena or rbgs on an alt if you do not start at the beginning of the seasons. I had an idea to help fix that issue and if anyone agrees with it, would they post it on a wow forum. What if for each week a season has been out, there would be a min cap put in place, say the 1800 points that would add up every week that the season is out. Meaning that if you got a 3 week late start, then you could do arenas or rbgs till your cap of 5400 points( 3 weeks X 1800 points possible= 5400). After you catch up then you will only be able to earn points based on rating or min points cap. This could help anyone that did not get a start at the first week catch up. Your thoughts?

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd certainly like to see them implement something along those lines to help me gear up my alts to a useful level
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

I would enjoy something like that, however, i can already see Blizzard's response of "We don't want to make hardcore pvpers feel like they have to play nonstop to cap."

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    I would enjoy something like that, however, i can already see Blizzard's response of "We don't want to make hardcore pvpers feel like they have to play nonstop to cap."
    That would be the beautiful thing about this system is they could do it as fast or slow as they want. The points continue to add up until you have capped the min amount for the season, so you can do it all in one night or over a few weeks, your choice and no pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by pcbogey View Post
    That would be the beautiful thing about this system is they could do it as fast or slow as they want. The points continue to add up until you have capped the min amount for the season, so you can do it all in one night or over a few weeks, your choice and no pressure.
    That's exactly it though. Blizzard would blame the people with no boundaries and bad judgement for not implementing this.

This is a great idea, but then people would start whining about how it's "Too easy" to gear. So maybe a slight reduction on your proposition? Instead of 5400 for a 3 week deficit, perhaps reduce the conq by 200 for every week that you missed? So 3 weeks would = 4800 instead of 5400. Still reasonable, but it'll still gives players more reason to gear and play their alts rather than just handing them gear, per-say. I think this is a fantastic idea.

Great idea, because if you're behind with your gear in Arena/RBG you're screwed... PvP is so much more about gear than skill atm.. >.<

Something I've mentioned in some other threads:
    Only have on PvP set, that you get from honor. And let arena give honor aswell!
    Then we could add some "challenge mode" gear, lets call it "rating gear"
    1800rating: Vanity items (transmog only, like challenge gear.) All except shoulders and weapon.
    2000rating: Vanity shoulders
    2200rating: Vanity weapon.

This way every can get full PvP geared in a week (or two days even), then start working on the rating to get the much cooler looking gear. Not just recolors, but something with alot of e-peen shine! Some cool effects when you do X and Y etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    Great idea, because if you're behind with your gear in Arena/RBG you're screwed... PvP is so much more about gear than skill atm.. >.<

1800rating: Vanity items (transmog only, like challenge gear.) All except shoulders and weapon.

This way every can get full PvP geared in a week (or two days even), then start working on the rating to get the much cooler looking gear. Not just recolors, but something with alot of e-peen shine! Some cool effects when you do X and Y etc etc
    Guild wars-esque gear system, huh?

I am absolutely against that, and i'm sure the majority would agree with that. MMOs are mainly successful due to that carrot-on-a-stick system, where you progressively get better and better gear. Take that away and what? Nobody gives a shit about battlegrounds anymore, since there's no incentive to go there, no incentive to try to get better ratings @ arena ( vanity items, really? ), since it's not that "fun".

And yeah, t2 weapons are an achievent by themselves, you are one of the best - hence you get the best loots, which makes you perform even better. If i'm a 2400 player i don't want bots to be able to have the same gear as me, with the difference of me having some super-flashy-lazor-flamethrowing shoulders which most likely look like shit anyway.
    Last edited by Strah; 2012-12-03 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post

I am absolutely against that, and i'm sure the majority would agree with that. MMOs are mainly successful due to that carrot-on-a-stick system, where you progressively get better and better gear. Take that away and what? Nobody gives a shit about battlegrounds anymore, since there's no incentive to go there, no incentive to try to get better ratings @ arena ( vanity items, really? ), since it's not that "fun".

And yeah, t2 weapons are an achievent by themselves, you are one of the best - hence you get the best loots, which makes you perform even better. If i'm a 2400 player i don't want bots to be able to have the same gear as me, with the difference of me having some super-flashy-lazor-flamethrowing shoulders which most likely look like shit anyway.
    Yes, you got a very good point : /
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

ya im not really for this either, i do like the gearing system and really like the rewards for achieveing something in pvp, i miss the days of rating to get weapon, shoulders, etc. I just would like them to implement a "catch up" system is all i really want, and heck if the wanted to do the same for PvE players so they could do the same catch up im down w that too

What's most important is that it should be fairly simple to "cap" PvP gear. It should be so that if you PvP actively at, say, 2.2k rating you'll end up able to buy all the gear in a month or so and then go no further. People who join in later in the season can see that they're disadvanted but they can also see themselves catching up since the current top players have all the gear and they can't go any further with that.

Compare this to PvE. If you decide to PvP for the first two months of a tier/season and then get into PvE, you can easily find a raiding guild that needs your spec and join farm raids that have been going on for two months. There will be tons of loot no one needs anymore and you'll be catching up to the most geared people more and more every week. You might not entirely catch them by the end of the tier as they'll likely be hunting a few items only and have massive DKP prio on them but still, the PvE game has a built in catch-up mechanism in the way the loot works: bosses drop randomly and eventually most of the raid just won't need them. The guy who joins later gets more gear (because no one needs it) but he won't usually completely catch up (because the very geared people have only a few needs and they'll be sitting on tons of DKP to take that first).

If on the other hand you decide to focus on PvE for the first two months of a tier/season and then decide to get into PvP, you'll have a damn hard time even getting groups because your gear stinks and expectations will have inflated to the point where people won't even consider you if you don't have a T1 wepaon which is gated behind having to cap conquest for month. Item upgrading makes this really bad since the higher rated people have higher valor caps. That means the people who are ahead in gear upgrade their gear faster than the guy who joins later which is just backwards and it's insanely annoying to try to join PvP mid-season.

how would one judge how late you came into the season though? does the counter start on all toons when a new season starts no matter the level or just when they hit 90?
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

With the introduction of PVP power, the gear discrepancy between a newbie 90 with full contenders and someone with full malevolent is too much. Since you are undergeared, no one wants you in arena teams or RBGs, so you are left with the painful conquest grind of endless BGs.

Blizzard doesn't even give the option to purchase blue PVP weapons. Even a blue 450-463 honor weapon with full PVP power would benefit a fresh 90 greatly without affecting PVE.

a buff similar to how the valor point cap buff would be nice for alts imo

MMOs are mainly successful due to that carrot-on-a-stick system, where you progressively get better and better gear.
    Few points:
    1. Nobody gives a shit about battlegrounds anyway - anyone who value their time already bought bot. And 90% of those who didn't hate honor grind but don't know ways around it.
    2. GW2 have carrot on stick system too, but it applies to PvE only. This way ppls who like grind will continue to grind and those who want to go straight into competition will be able to do so.
    3. Don't underestimate vanity items vallue in MMO community - ppls buy mounts and pets from Blizz shop, farm old instances for transmog items, farm useless achievement points, do hundreds of instance runs just to get another mount model or camp rare spawns for weeks to get a new pet model.

So no, if Blizz will remove mindless farm out of competitive setting it won't do them harm. Hordes of pvpers aren't playing arenas past getting their gear/desired raiting but they continue to pay subscription fees. For Blizz it doesn't matter if players spend 1 hr a month or 240 hrs a month ingame as long as subscription keep runing and in my personal expirience honor grind drove away from game way more of my friends then lacking content.

10+ Year Old Account

JK, no deticated PvP player gives a flying fuck about gear progression. Everyone at equal = win. End of story.

People will keep playing for glory alone, vanity items would be nice, but even if all rewards but titles would be stripped from PvP people would still play it as much as they do today.

Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    JK, no deticated PvP player gives a flying fuck about gear progression. Everyone at equal = win. End of story.

People will keep playing for glory alone, vanity items would be nice, but even if all rewards but titles would be stripped from PvP people would still play it as much as they do today.
    Yeah, but if the only people who get something out of pvp are the top 5% rated or what ever it is that gets titles. All the lower brackets will be as good as empty, I wouldnt mind using my idea about gear.
    For instance, I dont got any RBG rating - thus I dont get into any RBG teams what so ever (Maybe a cap team once in a while, but not even each week...), so I wont get very much conq points each week.
    So I fall behind on gear, and then I will have a much harder time to compete if I once get into higher ratings than 1.7k (Started PvPing this season way to late...)

Gear got to much to say in WoW PvP imo..

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont got any RBG rating - thus I dont get into any RBG teams what so ever (Maybe a cap team once in a while, but not even each week...), so I wont get very much conq points each week.
    At the start of the season i didn't either. If you're good people take you regardless of your current statistics.

What keeps the people in lower brackets going is the will to improve. They don't need more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    At the start of the season i didn't either. If you're good people take you regardless of your current statistics.

What keeps the people in lower brackets going is the will to improve. They don't need more than that.
    So you're saying you got into RBG without having a minimum of 1.8k CR? :P I've never seen a pug looking for someone with lower rating than that.. And if I dont got that RBG rating, I would need like 2-2.2k arena rating to get it, it's sick :P

Yes. This. Please.

Anything to help me play on alts. At all. I don't care if I have to play 1000 arena games to get the gear. The current system doesn't work and needs changing now you need so much more rating to get fully upgraded gear.