Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why Sargeras need a portal to Azeroth?

Didn't the titans travel around the universe from planet to planet defeating corruption etc...??

Nobody summoned them to every planet they visited... so why did Sargeras need a portal for him to enter Azeroth??

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm thinking it's similar to the whole reaper thing with ME3. He didn't NEED the portal, but it was a lot faster than traveling normally from wherever he is. My guess would be that the reason we haven't heard much from him in years is that he is now doing that second option, and on his way. We'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    He was severely weakened at the time when his summon was attempted and likely couldn't make the journey himself (and understand that *severely weakened* would mean that he would likely have enough power to sneeze and accidently disintergrate azeroth). That, however, was a long time ago, so who knows how strong he is now. He may be paddeling his way through the Twisting Nether on his yacht as we speak, but it may be a few expansions before he gets here. After all, what's his hurry?

A second option would be that *one* of the Titans on the council is capable of creating the technology (or using the magic) necessary to teleporting vast distances throughout the Twisting Nether. Being a rogue Titan, Sargeras no longer has access to such technology/repairs or, at the very least, not the tech necessary to haul his huge carcas/amount of power through a portal (though his minions seem to have some method of such transportation, hence he may have some residual piece of teleport tech.)

I've wondered about this myself. The best I can understand it is that he's either too big to do more conventional planetary travel, or he's somehow locked in a different dimension. If that's the case though, it's never been explicitly stated how that happened as far as I know. If anyone knows the answer to this I'd be happy to hear it too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yoma View Post
    A second option would be that *one* of the Titans on the council is capable of creating the technology (or using the magic) necessary to teleporting vast distances throughout the Twisting Nether. Being a rogue Titan, Sargeras no longer has access to such technology/repairs or, at the very least, not the tech necessary to haul his huge carcas/amount of power through a portal (though his minions seem to have some method of such transportation, hence he may have some residual piece of teleport tech.)
    This is pretty much what I've thought, that Sargeras doesn't have the technology/magic to travel around by himself. But if this was the case Tempest Keep would probably be highly sought after by the Burning Legion. But then.. Kael was affliated with Kil'jaeden who needed to get summoned.. I'm really unsure about how all this works ._. I want to think that they need to get summoned just because, but the whole titans travelling thing makes that pretty invalid. I'll eagerly keep watch over this thread for an answer
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    This is pretty much what I've thought, that Sargeras doesn't have the technology/magic to travel around by himself. But if this was the case Tempest Keep would probably be highly sought after by the Burning Legion. But then.. Kael was affliated with Kil'jaeden who needed to get summoned.. I'm really unsure about how all this works ._. I want to think that they need to get summoned just because, but the whole titans travelling thing makes that pretty invalid. I'll eagerly keep watch over this thread for an answer
    Well here again, Kil'Jaeden was exceedingly powerful as Sargeras' right-hand-man and thus couldnt use the traditional demonic portals that the lower level demons use. Kil'Jaden was attempting to enter Azeroth so that he could provide the necessary juice to the Sunwell to summon his master. Also, at this point, Tempest Keep may already be drained of its power; Kael did use the energy he collected to -partially- summon Kil'Jaeden and, judging by the storyline from Netherstorm, gathering that much energy again would be impossible (without the destruction of Outland and thus Tempest Keep itself).
    Last edited by yoma; 2012-12-03 at 05:58 PM.

plot convenience

Hmm, I thought about the scale of Titans and whether WoW can introduce something of really .... titanic proportions into the game, and I had this thought: A new expansion continent set entirely on the body of the titan.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    Well here again, Kil'Jaeden was exceedingly powerful as Sargeras' right-hand-man and thus couldnt use the traditional demonic portals that the lower level demons use. Kil'Jaden was attempting to enter Azeroth so that he could provide the necessary juice to the Sunwell to summon his master. Also, at this point, Tempest Keep may already be drained of its power; Kael did use the energy he collected to -partially- summon Kil'Jaeden and, judging by the storyline from Netherstorm, gathering that much energy again would be impossible (without the destruction of Outland and thus Tempest Keep itself).
    But it doesn't explain why the Titans can seemingly travel from world to world whereas the bad guys has to be summoned. And, how did Sargeras move around during his time as Champion of the Pantheon? Did he use whatever the other Titans uses, and if so, why doesn't he still use it to get to Azeroth? I've never really thought about this before as I only had the "too powerful to use normal demonic portals"-thing in mind and never related it to the Titans.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

This is actually easy to explain. So far no one has done it.

In WarCraft, two main dimensions exist. The one we live in called the Great Dark Beyond (AKA Space/Universe), and the other one called the Twisted Nether.

While the Great Dark Beyond has a semblance of order and stability, the Twisted Nether is just a chaotic realm of crazy. This is why demonic creatures utilize it not just as a form of travel between worlds, but in many cases a home, living inside the nether and twisting it to whatever they feel like.

Back when Sargeras was the Titan assigned to purge the Great Dark of demons, he did so by traveling the Great Dark, finding demon infested worlds, and destroying them. When he fell from grace and became a demon himself, he left the Great Dark to live among the astral passageways of the Twisted Nether, leading his forces from the chaotic realm, and using it as a bridge to find new ripe worlds for conquest.

However, what he didn't realize was living in the Twisted Nether had a disadvantage. That disadvantage is that while it's easy to go in, depending on how powerful you are, it's much harder to leave. The Great Dark has boundaries that keep the latent magic of the Twisting Nether from spilling over and ripping apart creation, and those same boundaries mean incredible amounts of magic must be exhausted to move his form back into the Great Dark. These same boundaries make it difficult for all prime demons, like Archimonde and Kil'jaeden, but none of them have as much trouble as Sargeras, as he holds the most power.

This is one of the reasons the Burning Legion desired Outland during the time of TBC. Outland, having exploded from too much magic, had knocked itself into a "pocket" between the Twisting Nether and the Great Dark Beyond. Being in a pocket means that demons have less restrictions in entering the region. It still requires a portal of some type, but the general power barriers that exist are null. The Burning Legion was going to use Outland as a spring board back into Azeroth, which is one of the reasons we had to stop them.

P.S. Could Sargeras simply have his legions summon him on another world and then "space travel" to Azeroth? Yes, he could, but doing so will take much more time, as we have no idea how far the closest Legion controlled world is to Azeroth. It could be so far away that him reaching the planet wouldn't happen in our characters lifetimes, or it could happen tomorrow. Considering the visions shown by Wrathion, it seems this is exactly what is happening in the next expansion.
    Last edited by Grocalis; 2012-12-03 at 06:33 PM.

He was severely weakened at the time when his summon was attempted and likely couldn't make the journey himself (and understand that *severely weakened* would mean that he would likely have enough power to sneeze and accidently disintergrate azeroth). That, however, was a long time ago, so who knows how strong he is now. He may be paddeling his way through the Twisting Nether on his yacht as we speak, but it may be a few expansions before he gets here. After all, what's his hurry?

i really dont feel he was that powerful. I also feel that he was just a patsy of the old gods. Their plan was to use sarg to kill everything and get him to release them. Had he, they would have simply destroyed sarg and taken azeroth back over.

There is a Titanic teleporter from Sholazar to Un'goro.
    For the Algalon encounter, Algalon appears as if he's just teleported. While he is not actually a Titan, it implies that he was sent there via technology/power that allows for it.
    Norgannon was the Titan who empowered Malygos to guard over the Arcane Magics of the world, and he himself is also charged with guarding the Arcane Magics of the Nether. He has also shown to create discs and other devices. So if any of the Pantheon had anything to do with teleportation, I'd say it was either Norgannon or Aman'thul. I only mention the latter, because he's the High Father/Leader of the Pantheon and likely has the power/control to perform/create such things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    But it doesn't explain why the Titans can seemingly travel from world to world whereas the bad guys has to be summoned. And, how did Sargeras move around during his time as Champion of the Pantheon? Did he use whatever the other Titans uses, and if so, why doesn't he still use it to get to Azeroth? I've never really thought about this before as I only had the "too powerful to use normal demonic portals"-thing in mind and never related it to the Titans.
    He lost a great deal of his power when he went solo. Each titan is different in the amount of power they posses. Some may have had powers of fast travel or what ever which they used to move a group around the stars.

Titan's do have methods to teleport, which seem to rely on rapid energy transfer between locations among the Great Dark. However, all the teleport technology they utilize is "point to point". This means they still need to have someone on the planet build the proper item to link the teleporter, and can't just say "I want to teleport there..." and have it occur instantly. Even if Sargeras could utilize such technology in the modern area, it wouldn't be more efficient then just having his demons and converts create a demon gateway/portal.

Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korru View Post
    plot convenience
    ^ real reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    -snip-
    I always thought the "Twisting Nether" was space and that the "Great Dark Beyond" was another name for it.. well then! This is really interesting stuff. But there's something that always bothered me, and that is exactly how they travel from world to world when both places are in the Great Dark Beyond. The quest in Scholazar which Thassarian just made me remember does shed some light upon the subject, I guess. (insert some time) I know see that you've written more about it. Would you please provide me with some sources about this? I don't doubt you, I just want to read more about it. Or shall I just search for Twisting Nether/Great Dark Beyond on wowpedia?
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    He was G kicked and his HS was on cd.

The devs probably changed him into a Naaru midflight or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Or shall I just search for Twisting Nether/Great Dark Beyond on wowpedia?
    It would be easier to read I think. I could write way to much about it really.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Great_Dark_Beyond
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Twisting_Nether
    Last edited by Grocalis; 2012-12-03 at 08:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    It would be easier to read I think. I could write way to much about it really.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Great_Dark_Beyond
    Alright, thanks.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt