Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Bots will rule us all.

So today in my daily random dungeon run, I notice the distinct name of a rogue I know to be a botter in the BG's. Obviously I can't name them, but it's too unique for me to mistake or not notice. Small world, right? For a few minutes I think to myself, "I wonder if he's actually playing – maybe I'll get a chance to say something snarky to him for botting the battlegrounds."

After five minutes though, I realize he's just botting the dungeon, too. I explain to the group my objections and evidence while the rogue remains silent and doesn't defend himself, but the group agrees NOT to kick him because they didn't think he was a bot. Here's his final Recount window:

Some justice was handed down when I killed him twice with Bloat on the final boss (after his first death, the tank handed him a battle rez...)

Filled out another report (I've done probably five on him since the release of mop), but it'll probably continue to fall on the same deaf ears at Blizzard that my group had.

And here I am grinding everything the human way, like a sucker...

its not like bots have been around for years

10+ Year Old Account
    A million bots to loot them all, a million bots to grind them,
    a million bots to ding them all and in the darkness grind them

Deleted
    According to some estimates the bots now outnumber the Chinese.

Blizzards typical policy on bots is to monitor them and or reports on them for...very long...periods of time. Eventually, typically two or three times a year, they go on a ban-spree and clean house of all the identified bots at once.

And then they're replaced by new bot's from the same ISP's. Because the gold farmers and account hackers know Blizzards routine. They know they have months worth of time to farm all the gold they want before Blizzard bothers to do anything again.

I am so over geared for heroics its not even funny on 2 of my toons on their DPS specs. When I run heroics on them by my self i do not attempt to top the charts at all i merely go thru th emotions usually just AoEing or using 1-2 abilities. It would be pretty noticeable that I am not doing what most would do. Would you report me?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhamer View Post
    I am so over geared for heroics its not even funny on 2 of my toons on their DPS specs. When I run heroics on them by my self i do not attempt to top the charts at all i merely go thru th emotions usually just AoEing or using 1-2 abilities. It would be pretty noticeable that I am not doing what most would do. Would you report me?
    No offence but you're an idiot. The rogue in the recount is getting most of his damage from his RANGED ability Shuriken Toss. So yea, if you start playing ranged as a melee or vice versa then yes you most certainly should get kicked.

You did report him as well though, right?
    Fly fast, stay low, hit hard.
    You'd think the 8th Anniversary was the Cheese Anniversary to go with all the whine.
    - madethisfor1post

Ravenholdt EU - Nice Toons: Frazzlebeard, Menardis, Plight - Less So: Slîght

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    Blizzards typical policy on bots is to monitor them and or reports on them for...very long...periods of time. Eventually, typically two or three times a year, they go on a ban-spree and clean house of all the identified bots at once.

And then they're replaced by new bot's from the same ISP's. Because the gold farmers and account hackers know Blizzards routine. They know they have months worth of time to farm all the gold they want before Blizzard bothers to do anything again.
    What a load of shit. Sorry. Got quite a few friends who constantly bot almost nonstop for years. Never been banned.
    BG bot, gather bot... you name it, they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhamer View Post
    If you were using shuriken toss and crimson tempest, yes. That's basically like a mage deciding he's only going to use blizzard for literally every single thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post

Yeah, it does seem to basically be a de facto symbiotic relationship between Blizz and the botters/gold farmers at this point. Although I have to question your suggested frequency on the ban-waves. It appears to have dropped to more like, "once every two or three years," and that's assuming there's any banwaves during MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    What a load of shit. Sorry. Got quite a few friends who constantly bot almost nonstop for years. Never been banned.

What a load of shit. Sorry. Got quite a few friends who constantly bot almost nonstop for years. Always get banned.
    BG bot, gather bot... you name it, they have been banned for using it.

On a more serious note
    Have had friends who AFK'd BGs (same relative process as bots but with a human operator doing other stuff) and they have had gear and honor stripped, at worst.
    Your face when the Scoundrel is Gallagher.

What you don't see is the whole recount window where the bot beat the OP in damage done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    Some botters get caught, some don't. Blizzard will once in a blue moon actually be able to detect the bot program and do a mass banwave. But most ban waves are saved up player reports.

You need to run like millions of hcs to get same VP cap, which could be done in 7 hcs a week pre-MoP. There are people running bots with scripts even to do dailies, simply because when coming back from work, they don't have much time to play game and they want to play it and not keep doing some weird work.

Botting will only keep increasing. I was hating botters before, and I still will never use a single bot program, but I start to understand that people are botting not because they are bad or cheaters, but because time is something you can never get back and you don't really have "big amounts" of time at your disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    You need to run like millions of hcs to get same VP cap, which could be done in 7 hcs a week pre-MoP. There are people running bots with scripts even to do dailies, simply because when coming back from work, they don't have much time to play game and they want to play it and not keep doing some weird work.

Botting will only keep increasing. I was hating botters before, and I still will never use a single bot program, but I start to understand that people are botting not because they are bad or cheaters, but because time is something you can never get back and you don't really have "big amounts" of time at your disposal.
    I believe you meant to say people are botting because they are lazy and feel the need to be a drain on the rest of the community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eja216 View Post
    Some justice was handed down when I killed him twice with Bloat on the final boss (after his first death, the tank handed him a battle rez...)
    Keep doing it. The point is with these botters is to waste their time and dime.

If the idiots on the BG actually played wisely, they would've made the botters upset to no end by not giving them kills.

Did that with that 30+ boxer. Extended AV to over an hour. No cookies for exploiting the game and Blizzard being indifferent in ruining fun.

See a bot, have fun at it's expense.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    What you don't see is the whole recount window where the bot beat the OP in damage done.
    Op is heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    No offence but you're an idiot. The rogue in the recount is getting most of his damage from his RANGED ability Shuriken Toss. So yea, if you start playing ranged as a melee or vice versa then yes you most certainly should get kicked.
    On my monk i only use whirlwind kicks and fists of fury and we never have any issues getting through instances. Sure I could use my raid rotation and pull 70k but my 30 by just AoEing is fine. I do apologize I know not one rogue ability since I do not play one and never have, and have not raided with one since 40 mans so I did not know those were ranged abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    I believe you meant to say people are botting because they are lazy and feel the need to be a drain on the rest of the community.
    It might be truth in some cases, but far from all. I knew very good healer (he doesn't play now), who had very intensive work schedule, he had to bot farm consumables simply because he had no time for it. In MoP you still need to farm consumables, Golden Lotus is extinct, and as raider you need to have lottery tickets and get VP somewhere, as raids barely give any VP.

Don't look at me as trying to defend bots, as I wrote before - I don't like them at all, but increase of bots going around can be justified by looking at all that grind. Not all people want to attend second work (they pay for) after they are done with their real life work. If you barely have free time to play game during midweek, MoP has horrible news for those who can play mostly on week-end. Botting is a kind of adaptation to MoP in many of those cases.