Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Strange Coincidences

I experienced a really weird coincidence today.

So I was driving to work, thinking about my job and co-workers. My mind wandered a bit, and I suddenly thought about how funny it would be if my co-worker "Jerry" farted in front of everyone. He's never done this before, and I've never thought about him or anyone at work doing that.

So I get to work, having completely forgotten about that brief thought that I had. I get to my desk, Jerry turns around, stands up from his chair, and farted really loud. I immediately froze and got the chills. He got really embarrassed and apologized to everyone.

I've worked next to Jerry for two years. He's a shy, keep to yourself type guy. He's never farted or done anything like that at work, always very professional.

I consider myself a man of science. I don't believe in ghosts, spirits etc. I know that this was just a really really weird coincidence. But when something like this happens, I guess its hard not to think about what other possible explanations there could be.

TLDR: I had a precog vision of a guy at work farting, and then it actually happened.

What's the most strange/creepy coincidence that you have experienced?
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Its called a Deja Vu. You just think you thought about it while driving.

OP is an undiagnosed fartomancer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Um no? Deja Vu is when you feel like you're experiencing something that has happened before.

10+ Year Old Account
    No I'm 100% certain I thought of it while driving.

I've experienced dejavu many times, I know what it feels like.

---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 08:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    OP is an undiagnosed fartomancer.
    I wish I was given a more useful talent than predicting farts...

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Um no? Deja Vu is when you feel like you're experiencing something that has happened before.
    Yes, like the thought of someone farting in the room. He thinks he has thought about it. As he says himself - he forgot all about it till it happened, which is to be expected.

From wiki
    The explanation that has mostly been accepted of déjà vu is not that it is an act of "precognition" or "prophecy", but rather that it is an anomaly of memory, giving the false impression that an experience is "being recalled".[2][3] This explanation is supported by the fact that the sense of "recollection" at the time is strong in most cases, but that the circumstances of the "previous" experience (when, where, and how the earlier experience occurred) are uncertain or believed to be impossible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, like the thought of someone farting in the room. He thinks he has thought about it. As he says himself - he forgot all about it till it happened, which is to be expected.
    Scientists actually believe deja vu occurs when there is a slow communication between the eyes and brain, causing you to basically see things twice.

Anyway, it wasn't deja vu because I can trace the thought back to a crank call skit they did on the radio this morning. It's just a really really weird coincidence.

So, Deja Vu is, as you point out, normally the sense that something has happened before.

OP does NOT describe anything even vaguely like Deja Vu. OP described thinking of an exact thing, a thing with relatively low likelihood, and then that thing occurred.

What we are seeing here is not some neural misfire, or misplaced emotion. While OP clearly doesn't fantasize about farting coworkers, left unstated was the myraid of OTHER possible things that occur. For instance, what else did OP think about in the car? Perhaps he fantasized about a nice girl he met at a bar, or thought about a friend who gambles sometimes. Many events could have occurred (but did not) that would have linked back to the thoughts he had today. And this is likely true EVERY day. That one of those things actually happened one time is not really that surprising- especially given that a coworker farting is not stupendously rare (versus, say, a coworker winning the lottery, or even a certain coworker knocking a mailbox over).

So while OP's mind was making dozens of "predictions" each and every day, the one that sticks out is the one that comes true. If OP wrote down everything he thought about, he'd have a hundred phone-book sized diaries, and then today would have one light highlighted in blue- this one actually happened!

10+ Year Old Account
    For me it's this: When I was 2yrs old I seen this tall old man with a long black coat standing outside my window what scared me was the fact that I was awoke...he was looking at me and pulled out a old pocket watch and tapped on it pointing to the time and then proceeded to frown I screamed and my brothers woke up and looked at me like I was crazy, when I pointed to the window he was gone.....the next day we found our grandfather in the bathroom bleeding out, he died 2 days later and I never told anyone what I've seen until I saw him again the night before my father died of a heart attack and when I finally told my family about the man in the long black coat my grandmother told that I will keep seeing him......I never want to see him again

there was a change in the matrix. either that or you are the fart whisperer. every creature or phenomenon needs a whisperer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    So while OP's mind was making dozens of "predictions" each and every day, the one that sticks out is the one that comes true.
    You provide a very good explanations of coincidences. And I agree that its exactly what happened here.

However, I've never had a coincidence completely take the wind out of me like this before. And over such an odd circumstance. Still doesn't mean anything though.

---------- Post added 2012-12-03 at 08:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    there was a change in the matrix. either that or you are the fart whisperer. every creature or phenomenon needs a whisperer
    ....please don't be a fart whisperer....please don't be a fart whisperer....

awww fuck!

10+ Year Old Account
    I was singing a song in my head the other day, even humming the tone a little. When I got in my car and started it, that song started playing from the radio.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    I was singing a song in my head the other day, even humming the tone a little. When I got in my car and started it, that song started playing from the radio.
    ive had that happen many times. but they were being spammed anyway, which is probably why they were stuck in my head in the first place, lol

10+ Year Old Account

From wiki
    The explanation that has mostly been accepted of déjà vu is not that it is an act of "precognition" or "prophecy", but rather that it is an anomaly of memory, giving the false impression that an experience is "being recalled".[2][3] This explanation is supported by the fact that the sense of "recollection" at the time is strong in most cases, but that the circumstances of the "previous" experience (when, where, and how the earlier experience occurred) are uncertain or believed to be impossible.
    Do you see now where you are wrong? He knows he thought about it in the car. If you have a deja vu, you have no idea how you got that thought / image in your head before.
    I. Like. To. Kill. Things.
    For Pony!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Deja Vu is when there is a break in the flow of time nearby, causing random events from the lives of people nearby to replay briefly, but only few people actually notice or pick up on it at all.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

Clearly you have mind control powers. Use them wisely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    Many times me and my sister have started singing the exact part of the same song at the exact same time. This usually has an easier explanation than my fart prediction ability though.

are you talking about jerry seinfeld?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    are you talking about jerry seinfeld?
    Jerry Seinfeld is too clean and tidy and never farts.

Jerry....you gotta see the baby

From wiki
    That's referring to the perception that you've experienced something before and is theorized to be due to multiple parts of your brain receiving the same information at different times. What is in the OP isn't that.