Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

@WoW players, what do you do to maintain good health?

*If this is the wrong forum dear moderators, please, feel free to move it to where it belongs!

I have stopped playing WoW for... I believe 2 and a half months now. I really enjoy the game, and I have enough money to afford it, but ever since I started getting into... MMO 'type' games my health has suffered quite dramatically. Ever since 2003, when I started playing Runescape (yeah laugh at me but I was 12 back then so it fits lol) my life was consumed by MMO type games. I can play normal games, like FPS or any console game for just a couple of hours and call it quits.

However, with WoW and Runescape anything less than 4 hours a day was an off day for me for 9 years. I gained around 180-200 pounds since 2003, and well lets just say I am a really heavy person. I know I did this to myself, I know its my responsibility to either take the consequences of my negligence of my health, or to fight back and lose the weight. Regardless, I am not playing WoW or any other MMO/RPG games until I lose weight and learn to control and respect my body and my health.

So my question to you WoW players is, what do you do to maintain good health? What rituals do you go through every day to keep your mental/physical health sane? What personal oaths do you vow to never break to ensure you can play your favorite games with as few drawbacks as possible?

If I could maybe learn from your experiences, then maybe I could apply them to my life. Thanks in advance!
    Call me House.

10+ Year Old Account
    I work out an hour a day, 6 days a week, right after work. That way I'm not tempted to skip

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I work out an hour a day, 6 days a week, right after work. That way I'm not tempted to skip
    Thats really awesome. I envy people that know how to balance their work life, health life, and home life. Most people will lol at me for this, but Swifty is my idol. Not because of his 'prowess' at WoW or any other game for that matter, but the fact that he knows how to live a balanced lifestyle.
    Call me House.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gym 3x a week, Light martial arts training 2-4x a week, heavy training 1x a week. Took me a fucking while to build up the endurance to do all this a week, but goddam does it feel good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

15+ Year Old Account
    I actually don't do anything, other than work bout 32 hours a week...

I eat chips every time I get, that is including breakfast and lunch..

All things considered I'm actually healthy and just a bit below my ideal body weight o.o

I do want to go to a gym though, just need to find the incentive and reminder to actually go!
    What do you think you know and how do you think you know it?

Are you conscious in the sense of being aware of your own awareness?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trogdora View Post
    Thats really awesome. I envy people that know how to balance their work life, health life, and home life. Most people will lol at me for this, but Swifty is my idol. Not because of his 'prowess' at WoW or any other game for that matter, but the fact that he knows how to live a balanced lifestyle.
    I take it he's in shape?

Quote Originally Posted by Xothic View Post
    Gym 3x a week, Light martial arts training 2-4x a week, heavy training 1x a week. Took me a fucking while to build up the endurance to do all this a week, but goddam does it feel good.
    It did. I remember a few years back when I could barely do 10 minutes on a treadmill and then lift anything. Now it's 30 mins a day, sport intervals + monthly tradeoffs between bulk and cut weight routines

10+ Year Old Account
    If it isn't my love of WoW that gets to me every day, it's my love of UFC and all things MMA. Ever since I started with the Insanity workout and pushed myself to the end of it, I was finally fit and healthy enough to take on my second love, and man....it has been amazing. Taking a little time on the side to train in BJJ and Muay Thai has opened my eyes to how great your life can be if you get involved and surrounded with the things you care the most about. But honestly, WoW players looking to stay in shape/healthy need not to go to the gym or workout if they so desire not to - all they simply need to do is eat right, and not just plow through bags and bags of Doritos and fast food every day. It's much easier than some people think.
    | Happiness is the best revenge |

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I climb twice a week, and run/pushup/crunches the days that I don't climb or learn dancing. I also eat three square meals, drink water for the most part (soft drinks/alcohol maybe once a week?)

I don't do anything, I let my health rot away
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

I go to them gym a few nights a week, usually pretty late. I get myself to go because I time it for when television shows I normally watch are airing, and I just watch them at the TVs at the gym! Beats sitting my my couch, especially since my boyfriend comes with me.

Though, I'm not the best about eating healthy. I've been really working on reducing my snacking for years, and picking healthier snacks. I go for granola, yogurt, cold fruit (I found out that I'll actually eat the stuff if it's straight out of the fridge), and my boyfriend and I are both working on portioning.

I'll be honest, I've actually contemplated getting a treadmill or something with a laptop tray and exercising at home while I'm online.

Being more honest, though, my healthy habits have gone into the shitter this semester. I plan to get back on track over winter break.

I play football (soccer) about 3 to 4 times a week, be it practice or a league game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by malkara View Post
    I actually don't do anything, other than work bout 32 hours a week...

I eat chips every time I get, that is including breakfast and lunch..

All things considered I'm actually healthy and just a bit below my ideal body weight o.o

I do want to go to a gym though, just need to find the incentive and reminder to actually go!
    Skinny/ideal weight =/= healthy.

Not saying that you specifically are not healthy, but the two aren't necessarily exclusive.

As for me, I don't play WoW anymore. But I do cardio five days a week for 45 mins. at a time, plus resistance training 3 days a week. I also avoid unhealthy foods and keep my daily calorie intake around my TDEE for maintenance.

10+ Year Old Account
    24 year old Male here. My girlfriend and I ride our bikes a lot on weekends, for several hours. If we go out for lunch, we ride our bikes to the restaurant. When raiding, I have a rule of 10 Push Ups per wipe, so any time we wipe, I quickly drop down and push the state of Florida away from my face 10 times. I also am an amateur chef, so I am constantly looking up recipes and making new dishes for us from scratch.

Aside from that, I almost never eat junk food (except Peach Rings omfg) and I only drink water, or the occasional coffee in the morning. I'm really lactose intolerant, which helps as it prevents me from eating shit like pizza or ice cream or cheesy garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I work out 3 times a week for about an hour to an hour and a half each time, plus I ride the bike to work which is a 6km ride every day. It's not a lot, but everything helps.
    Armory
    Twitter
    Altered-Time.com - the #1 Mage Theorycrafting community.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisfarreach View Post
    Skinny/ideal weight =/= healthy.

Not saying that you specifically are not healthy, but the two aren't necessarily exclusive.

As for me, I don't play WoW anymore. But I do cardio five days a week for 45 mins. at a time, plus resistance training 3 days a week. I also avoid unhealthy foods and keep my daily calorie intake around my TDEE for maintenance.
    Oh I know, I meant healthy as in, the last time I got sick (outside of a pneumonia that was sorta really just unlucky) has been years ago..
    What do you think you know and how do you think you know it?

Are you conscious in the sense of being aware of your own awareness?

I probably don't eat healthy enough, in fact I know I don't. I try not to eat starches, I do 50 burpee's a day, 25 in the morning, 25 in early evening, and do 30 minutes of yoga every other day. Just started working out, so this is enough for me atm... Also apples. 3 apples a day.

You don't have to exercise if you don't want to but eating the right foods is the important part. 30 min walk 5 times a week is enough to stay in shape. To lose weight however, is another story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I take it he's in shape?

It did. I remember a few years back when I could barely do 10 minutes on a treadmill and then lift anything. Now it's 30 mins a day, sport intervals + monthly tradeoffs between bulk and cut weight routines
    Yeah hes in good shape and hes a somewhat popular WoW player. He's not famous by all means but hes got a decent subscriber base I believe. I caught onto his irl videos and that really shows how he maintains balance.
    Call me House.

If i'm not playing im on my feet all day at working doing god knows what so thats about it for me lol.
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

10+ Year Old Account
    Sleep.

Good sleep is a cure to many health problems to begin with (and those with health conditions, more so).
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."