Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    He had 80 not an Army, and they were his family. If you watch the Japanese trailer he continues his speech and say's it's all about family.

At the same time as it has been pointed out Cumberbatch is not a buff kind of guy, so this is why I am saying it is clear that it has to be one or the other. However it is not entirely conclusive either way. Even the release of Alica Eve's character being Kirk's baby mama Carol Marcus doesn't help since the Charater was mentioned by Gary Mitchell as being introduced to Kirk, and first seen in Wrath of Khan. It is actually insanely brilliant of JJ Abrams to drop the hints the way he has because there are just enough facts to confuse the issue. Which is defiantly apart of typical JJ Abrams marketing strategies. To this day no one is quiet sure what Cloverfield was.

Japanese Trailer with extra long speech: http://youtu.be/BrHlQUXFzfw
    He had much more than 80. 80 is the number of his followers he managed to save while escaping Earth in the Botany Bay. I watched the Japanese trailer. I think this allusion to family is not conclusive at all. Paramount also alludes to family in its synopsis, but it relates to Kirk's crew. Besides, Khan's men were not really his family either. And again, Khan never was in Star Fleet.

Shut up and take my money!

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's not forget that it is also a reboot so its not like they can't change all kinds of crap. So maybe Starfleet made a genetic superman who just happened to also be exposed to something that gives him godlike powers.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I remain firm that I feel the villain is Khan.

1) At :20 in to the video (the one I saw), you see the villain swinging a rather large object but has the stature and features of a normal man. Khan and his ilk had super-human strength, up to five times stronger, even being stronger than Vulcans who are known to be up to three times stronger than humans.

2) "For I have returned" - Khan was the leader during the Eugenics War in the 1990s and was subsequently released from hyper sleep by the crew of the USS Enterprise ~200 years later.

3) "To have my vengeance" - There are very few characters in the early Star Trek universe who are so blindly lead through vengeance, revenge or wrath. This man once held an 'empire' which had a fourth of Earth covered. Once the Eugenic Wars ended, most of his kin were executed while the rest escaped on the USS Botany Bay and this might be the direction his new-found vengeance is based on.

4) "For your family" - in the extended Japanese trailer, he makes this comment. Khan and those like him were known as the "Children of Chrysalis".

5) "A comforting lie told to protect you" - Khan represents a superior being in strength and intelligence. He is the embodiment of Friedrich Nietzsche's idea of the overman but, in spite of these improvements, still lead to great conflict and ownership of land and people. Perhaps the lie is to believe that as we evolve to become stronger and more intelligent, we would have no desire to pursuit such primal feelings. Khan is the opposite of this and often has much more intense emotion towards certain evens.

6) Kirk and Spock with their hands on the glass. An obvious nod but I feel this is a red herring as it would make the whole 'mystery' moot.

That's just my theory though. Even if it is Khan, we're still in an alternate timeline so trying to pin down exactly what happens until watching it based on previous information is thrown out the window.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2012-12-11 at 07:33 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post
    I remain firm that I feel the villain is Khan.

1) At :20 in to the video (the one I saw), you see the villain swinging a rather large object but has the stature and features of a normal man. Khan and his ilk had super-human strength, up to five times stronger, even being stronger than Vulcans who are known to be up to three times stronger than humans.

2) "For I have returned" - Khan was the leader during the Eugenics War in the 1990s and was subsequently released from hyper sleep by the crew of the USS Enterprise ~200 years later.

3) "To have my vengeance" - There are very few characters in the early Star Trek universe who are so blindly lead through vengeance, revenge or wrath. This man once held an 'empire' which had a fourth of Earth covered. Once the Eugenic Wars ended, most of his kin were executed while the rest escaped on the USS Botany Bay and this might be the direction his new-found vengeance is based on.

4) "For your family" - in the extended Japanese trailer, he makes this comment. Khan and those like him were known as the "Children of Chrysalis".

5) "A comforting lie told to protect you" - Khan represents a superior being in strength and intelligence. He is the embodiment of Friedrich Nietzsche's idea of the overman but, in spite of these improvements, still lead to great conflict and ownership of land and people. Perhaps the lie is to believe that as we evolve to become stronger and more intelligent, we would have no desire to pursuit such primal feelings. Khan is the opposite of this and often has much more intense emotion towards certain evens.

6) Kirk and Spock with their hands on the glass. An obvious nod but I feel this is a red herring as it would make the whole 'mystery' moot.

That's just my theory though. Even if it is Khan, we're still in an alternate timeline so trying to pin down exactly what happens until watching it based on previous information is thrown out the window.
    Nicely worded, on the opposite side the Clues could lead to Gary Mitchell. However JJ Abrams who is known for overly dramatic story telling with over the top action, might skip Mitchell all together because out of all the god like beings he really was the most boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see Gary Mitchell as being a candidate but his powers are significantly different that that of Khan. Where Khan uses strength and intellect, Gary Mitchell had the ability to manipulate and control matter as well as telepathy.

He also had certain physical traits which made him stand out such as his eyes being silver, graying hair and, as far as I know, being one of two known people affected by the barrier. Although, I can see how more can be shoe-horned in as we know of at least one other that has been through the barrier, the Valiant, so it's not a far stretch to believe other ships have crossed it and more than just him and Dehner have transformed in to this new being.

That being said, even in his weakened state, he likely retained some of his psionic abilities. If he did have a 'family' of other beings who have abilities such as his, you would think they wouldn't have to go through such measures to destroy or control others. In fact, in one of the teaser shots, you see Kirk and Spock standing in front of someone in what looks to be a brig with a clear window so if this was Mitchell, they either conveniently forgot about his powers, it's not Mitchell, or is another red herring to keep us guessing.

For all we know, he really is a new character called John Harrison.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2012-12-11 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Nicely worded, on the opposite side the Clues could lead to Gary Mitchell. However JJ Abrams who is known for overly dramatic story telling with over the top action, might skip Mitchell all together because out of all the god like beings he really was the most boring.
    See I think it's Mitchell to. It explains the blonde in the trailer as well.

Ah crap never mind. Just saw the japanese trailer with the vulcan sign at the end behind the glass. Wrath of Kahn remake INCOMING.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2012-12-13 at 12:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    See I think it's Mitchell to. It explains the blonde in the trailer as well.

Ah crap never mind. Just saw the japanese trailer with the vulcan sign at the end behind the glass. Wrath of Kahn remake INCOMING.
    The blonde is Kirks Baby Mama Carol Marcus.

15+ Year Old Account
    That "full" trailer came out today. Guess every trailer will deal with the fact that someone in the Enterprise crew is dieing.

10+ Year Old Account
    See, when I see the antagonist (or at least who I assume is in the trailer), he's wearing a Starfleet uniform which is similar to the way Khan wore one in TOS. The difference being that this one is black. Tinfoil hat me wants to say it alludes to the title but that's a pretty far stretch to draw a conclusion.

My gut also tells me that it's Kirk on the wrong side of the glass this time around if it's a legit scene from the movie. The lightning behind Spock (I assume, since he does the Vulcan solute right from the get go) is like that of the hallways seen earlier in the trailer whereas Kirk is on the side with debris, emergency lights, and looks in hard shape. Then again, they could just be pieced together in such a way like most trailers tend to do to build anticipation which seems more likely.

Either way, this trailer was fun in spite of the way JJ Abrams has the most massive boner for lens flare.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2012-12-17 at 08:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been waiting for an update so I can bring this tread back to the top, So Today's Super Bowl spot added a new Benedict Cumberbatch line.

"I am Better" -Benedict Cumberbatch Villain
    "At what" - Kirk
    "Everything" -Benedict Cumberbatch Villain

Discus...

Last edited by Gothicshark; 2013-02-04 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Added a picture

My local theater is now selling tickets to this and it does appear there will be a sneak peak on the 16th so check your local theater. Strangely enough they have this up but not Iron Man 3 which comes out sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    My local theater is now selling tickets to this and it does appear there will be a sneak peak on the 16th so check your local theater. Strangely enough they have this up but not Iron Man 3 which comes out sooner.
    Cuz a lot of theatres are having a spat with Disney about distributions for Iron Man 3...don't recall what it is exactly...but yeah. It's why so many theatres aren't selling advance tickets for IM3.

In other news...

my whole body is a boner...
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    my whole body is a boner...
    Be sure to see a doctor if it lasts more than 4 hours.

How is Kirk ever going to survive to be a fat, old admiral if he keeps picking fights like that?

Deleted
    just saw the trailer, never been a fan of star trek, but looks awesome! also it has sherlock in it <3
    also typical the British guy has to be the vilain

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't Star Trek. This is the rape and destruction of what Star Trek is supposed to be.
    Sorry but these new movies absolutely disgust me and are part of why I sincerely loathe and despice Hollywood, because they couldn't make a meaningful, interesting movie even with the billions of dollars they have.
    Gene Roddenberry is rolling around in his freaking grave. Star Trek isn't about action and big explosions, it's about morals, ideals, philosophy etc. Not this complete pile of lensflare garbage. J.J Abrams is an atrocity to film making.

Urgh I'm so angry...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    just saw the trailer, never been a fan of star trek, but looks awesome! also it has sherlock in it <3
    also typical the British guy has to be the vilain
    Yes, but Benedict Cumberbatch is going to be an amazing villain. I loved his role in Sherlock (though, granted, he wasn't a villain,) really good actor.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    This isn't Star Trek. This is the rape and destruction of what Star Trek is supposed to be.
    Sorry but these new movies absolutely disgust me and are part of why I sincerely loathe and despice Hollywood, because they couldn't make a meaningful, interesting movie even with the billions of dollars they have.
    Gene Roddenberry is rolling around in his freaking grave. Star Trek isn't about action and big explosions, it's about morals, ideals, philosophy etc. Not this complete pile of lensflare garbage. J.J Abrams is an atrocity to film making.

Urgh I'm so angry...

There has been action and explosions in Star Trek since The Wrath of Khan. The only reason why TOS had not much explosions is because they lacked the means to do it. As for morals and philosophy, I'll wait to see the movie. But let's face it : Star Trek movies rarely were the place where morals and philosophy were very developped. If you want those, there are the TV shows. But even then : action and explosions!

"Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

JJ Abrams Star Trek might be different from the original series, but its certainly done with flavor and look to be worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post

Urgh I'm so angry...
    rofl

You're absolutely right. Roddenberry's vision was half-naked alien women, space Nazis, and a new rubber monster to hit with a rock every week. This definitely isn't Star Trek.