Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    This isn't Star Trek. This is the rape and destruction of what Star Trek is supposed to be.
    Sorry but these new movies absolutely disgust me and are part of why I sincerely loathe and despice Hollywood, because they couldn't make a meaningful, interesting movie even with the billions of dollars they have.
    Gene Roddenberry is rolling around in his freaking grave. Star Trek isn't about action and big explosions, it's about morals, ideals, philosophy etc. Not this complete pile of lensflare garbage. J.J Abrams is an atrocity to film making.

Urgh I'm so angry...
    I must admit I was cringing when they announced the original movie but I have to admit they did a much better job than I thought they would. Still don't like some of the stuff they did with it (Shaky Cam, Uhura/Spock relationship, among others) but I would recommend seeing it if you haven't already.

As for the Action/Big Explosions that's more due to what movies has become and bringing in a bigger audience. Avengers, Dark Knight, Hunger Games, Skyfall, Hobbit were the top 5 movies last year and I think it's safe to say Action and Big Explosions were are big part of it. However, there is talk of doing another tv series where they can focus less on that though.

Edit: Here is the link to the Disney Theatre Iron Man 3 dispute: http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/iron...e-with-disney/

It's kind of crazy to think it's even possible IM3 won't be showing in some theatres.
    Last edited by Skippy88; 2013-04-19 at 06:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't Star Trek. This is the rape and destruction of what Star Trek is supposed to be.
    Sorry but these new movies absolutely disgust me and are part of why I sincerely loathe and despice Hollywood, because they couldn't make a meaningful, interesting movie even with the billions of dollars they have.
    Gene Roddenberry is rolling around in his freaking grave. Star Trek isn't about action and big explosions, it's about morals, ideals, philosophy etc. Not this complete pile of lensflare garbage. J.J Abrams is an atrocity to film making.

Urgh I'm so angry...
    I watched all of the star trek series, and i can proudly say that i love what JJ Abrams has done with the movies. There has always been combat, explosions and fights in star trek. What is wrong with abrams utilizing those aspects to make a 2 1/2 hour movie for it? you're talking about the absence of morals? ideals? theres a lengthy part in this movie where they make first contact with an new alien civilization and their code for not interfering into their culture. If this movie was 100% pure fight of course it would be a disaster.

I find it funny you only tunnel vision on this aspect when there is clearly the philosophical, ideological, and moral aspect intertwined with combat when it comes to the new star trek movies.

Dont let the trailers fool you into thinking its just combat

Urgh I'm so angry...
    You realize that the current batch of films has not only been financially and critically successful it has practically rejuvenated the franchise by inspiring an entire new generation of fans. Fans who are going back to the older series on Netflix or w/e and enjoying those as well. The so called "Fans" who wanted everything to be like TOS, is why there is currently no current Star Trek series on television for the past decade. Because the so called "fans" shit all over everything unless it's Kirk and Spock blowing each other with Sulu watching in the corner.

I also find it funny that this same comment surfaced on the youtube comments feed and was shit all over by everyone there too.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    You realize that the current batch of films has not only been financially and critically successful it has practically rejuvenated the franchise by inspiring an entire new generation of fans. Fans who are going back to the older series on Netflix or w/e and enjoying those as well. The so called "Fans" who wanted everything to be like TOS, is why there is currently no current Star Trek series on television for the past decade. Because the so called "fans" shit all over everything unless it's Kirk and Spock blowing each other with Sulu watching in the corner.

I also find it funny that this same comment surfaced on the youtube comments feed and was shit all over by everyone there too.
    As an over 40 trekie, I love the new films. I had only one minor complaint and that was his choice of putting Engineering in a water treatment plant. Though he was able to do a Kirk rescues Scotty gag, it looked a bit cheap compared to the rest of the sets. That aside I am impatiently waiting for the next movie, and do pray that we will get a new TV series some day.

On a side note what killed the show was the first season of Enterprise, I watched every episode of that show and if you watch it from the second season it is actually a good show, Also avoid the last episode because it turns the show in to a holodeck session for Riker (possibly the most overrated character in Star Trek)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    As an over 40 trekie, I love the new films. I had only one minor complaint and that was his choice of putting Engineering in a water treatment plant. Though he was able to do a Kirk rescues Scotty gag, it looked a bit cheap compared to the rest of the sets. That aside I am impatiently waiting for the next movie, and do pray that we will get a new TV series some day.

On a side note what killed the show was the first season of Enterprise, I watched every episode of that show and if you watch it from the second season it is actually a good show, Also avoid the last episode because it turns the show in to a holodeck session for Riker (possibly the most overrated character in Star Trek)
    I wonder if Enterprise would have fared better if it had been aired on general TV instead of cable TV. I live in Québec, and I have been able to watch every show on ABC from TNG to Voyager. Then Enterprise came and it was on american cable TV. So I saw it in French on ZTélé about a year before it got cancelled.

Enterprise's first season was not that good, but, to be honest, TNG's first season was not good either. TNG began to be really good at the middle of the second, if not the third season. Same with Voyager. I think people were simply bored with Star Trek franchise after about 17 years of TNG, DS9 and Voyager.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Why do the internal domestic terrorist?

I want to see klingons. But badass klingons now that Vulcan is gone!

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by leafs43 View Post
    Why do the internal domestic terrorist?

I want to see klingons. But badass klingons now that Vulcan is gone!
    At a guess they are doing the Khan storyline, only it's not Khan but another Augment. One who got himself good with Star Fleet and designed a Warship which is similar to a Galaxy Class Star Ship.

Just a heads up they have moved up the official release a day:

http://film-book.com/star-trek-into-...1-day-earlier/

Locally for me it means instead of 1 showing there is now 4 on Thursday. I'm not sure if that means there will be a sneak peek showing on Wednesday as looks like they are still trying to figure that part out.

I just watched the movie and I loved it. It was more action packed and more interesting than the prequel. I hadn't seen Benedict Cumberbatch act before, but he was amazing. Spok was fucking badass. Less Kirk, but more of the other characters which was quite interesting, it really made you feel like it's a real ship with a real crew.

It was pretty good despite a few WTF plot moments. The way they retold the orginal Khan story was also well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    I hadn't seen Benedict Cumberbatch act before, but he was amazing.
    You should definitely watch Sherlock. Amazing show and he is brilliant in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    You should definitely watch Sherlock. Amazing show and he is brilliant in it.

yeah benedict is awesome. i wish more people here had that deep british accent of his.
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    At a guess they are doing the Khan storyline, only it's not Khan but another Augment. One who got himself good with Star Fleet and designed a Warship which is similar to a Galaxy Class Star Ship.
    I saw it yesterday. Not sure why, but New Zealand got it earlier than the US. Spoilers ahead, obviously.

It's Khan. I'm really quite disappointed, and have to wonder why Abrams is bothering to make a new series of movies if he can't be bothered making new plots. Seen in isolation it's really not a bad movie, but there's just too much that is a direct re-make of the original.

Deleted
    Watched it, good move, although for me first one was just a tad bit better. Loved it that Spock unleashed his anger and did some major but kicking.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    I saw it yesterday. Not sure why, but New Zealand got it earlier than the US. Spoilers ahead, obviously.

It's Khan. I'm really quite disappointed, and have to wonder why Abrams is bothering to make a new series of movies if he can't be bothered making new plots. Seen in isolation it's really not a bad movie, but there's just too much that is a direct re-make of the original.
    I have to agree there, just got back from an 8 PM Showing and omg...

The film was very, very pretty too look at, and the sounds were amazing, love the technology i was looking at, loved the scope, loved every single detail of it, and this is a first for me, but the story just ruined it, both because it was already done, and that I love J.J.'s work to death and thought he would have way more in the mystery box for this film. I understand the Alternate Reality thing and all of that but did it really have to be Kahn? John Harrison would of worked as well and a simple node to Kahn would of been much better when 09 Spock was talking to Original Spock. Did like the cgi though, it was, again, very pretty to look at. I really hope they follow their mission this time for the 3rd instead of taking a spaceship with little to no attacking capabilities into war. I respect the opening scene for doing that though, as they were actually exploring and keeping planets with not so high-tech advancements yet and trying to keep it a secret. It made me smile for all kinds of reasons, because it's very possible that not all planets out there have technology more advanced than ours.

No spoilers, but I enjoyed the movie.

And I didn't like the previous one, mostly due to hating Kirk's character. They fixed the main problem - his childish douchebag attitude, turning it into cocky confidence and recklessness. A relatively small change at a glance, but it worked really well.

Also suffers from modern hollywood's reliance on special effects and overly long action scenes, not to mention manditory romance elements. Tone all these down and you've got a very good movie - as it is, its still enjoyable if you don't focus on the small errors and plotholes.

7/10 from me.

Deleted
    I also enjoyed the movie. We watched Ironman and Star Trek in a row and both my friends and me preferred Star Trek. I can understand why hardcore trekkies don't like the new remakes but for me as an always hard core star wars fan I think they're great. I love the cast (besides main cast I always have a good laugh with Simon Pegg) and it was nice that you did not see everything already in the trailers (like every Ironman3 action scene...)

[MINOR SPOILER] I really liked that they focused more on the expedition aspect of the enterprise. I never watched the old TV show and only a few Star Trek movies so I never realized this aspect in particular. However, the short cameo was unnecessary and distracting...

I am really excited now about J.J.'s Star Wars remake. Hope my expectation will not ruin the experience... but we still have some time left ;-)
    Last edited by mmoc1a1ea076c3; 2013-05-16 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post

Yea couldnt have anything to do with the fact that its a broken timeline which means that things are still mostly the same but skewed. Khan is still present in the universe and everything else thats been shown in episodes, the characters, planets etc still exist. Making a new story was done with the first movie, and now we have a little twist paying homage to wrath of kahn. I dont see a problem with what he did.

I cannot remember where i heard this but it was something i saw recently about parallel universes, i think it was Community? Where i think Abed says that even though the universes are separate they tend to follow the same path or something like that. I may be wrong on the show tho.

Well, I give them major props where what was shown in the trailers was totally different from how they played out in the actual movie. Yet, I liked the first one better as this one felt more like a remake than them creating something new. Hopefully, it doesn't take them another 4 years to make the third one although with JJ busy with Star Wars it might take that long.

15+ Year Old Account
    Enjoyed it a lot more than i expected to. Not sure if intentional, but i found it a lot more funny than i expected to, too. My Main gripe was that it was a bit too predictable at times and the payoff of certain events wasnt really there. Otherwise, definitely one of the better popcorn flicks ive seen from the past few years.

Star Trek has and always will suck. IMO its the worst major scifi series of all time.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-05-21 at 04:01 PM.