Now that demo and destro are nerfed, is it just gonna go back to aff pvp?

with the nerfs flowing in for us, is aff really that bad anymore compared to our other specs? i know ill definitely be giving it a look again, anyone else with me?

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty atrocious is all I'm going to say to you and no I'll just stick to destro 4 life I guess or re-roll into a warrior with my macro 1 shot dead

since mop arenas are all about burst, i dont see locks filling positions now, CB nerf CW nerf, and affliction not doing enough damage without haunt and MG on a target, you can play all specs since you still have the cc but I feel like if i play a mage or a warrior i would be more useful on the team
    Last edited by Ryal; 2012-12-04 at 05:07 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Okay, I thought http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXX8URSUWm0 was funny, but now it just feels painfully true. I am a warlock, I am a mushroom!
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Affliction is way, way, way better than before 5.1. Why? Because Destro and Demo are way worse than 5.1 and because of KJ's Cunning. The ability to cast and channel while moving is a huuuuge buff to Affliction, thus I wonder how long it will take them to nerf KJ's Cunning since it seems to be pretty strong as Affliction. Anyway, I played Demo untill now in arena and Destro/Demo in RBGs, but since yesterday I re-speced Affliction as main arena spec. Now, I don't see Affliction being that good in RBGs (I haven't tried so can't tell for sure) so probably Destro is still better, but in arenas people need to give Affliction a try with KJ's Cunning, the only other option in arenas is Destro wich I really don't see it working above a certain rating, while Demo has absolutely no purpose in PvP anymore...

I remember a dozens of threads, both on MMO and AJ where people were crying for Demo nerfs and Affliction buffs instead... So next time maybe Warlocks will just be happy playing what is viable instead of crying for wanting to play what they wish, I ain't saying that's why Demo got nerfed, God no, but the fact that everyone was yelling at Blizzard for Demo nerfs (warlocks included) "helped" Blizzard to take these kind of actions against Demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan View Post
    Affliction is way, way, way better than before 5.1. Why? Because Destro and Demo are way worse than 5.1 and because of KJ's Cunning. The ability to cast and channel while moving is a huuuuge buff to Affliction, thus I wonder how long it will take them to nerf KJ's Cunning since it seems to be pretty strong as Affliction. Anyway, I played Demo untill now in arena and Destro/Demo in RBGs, but since yesterday I re-speced Affliction as main arena spec. Now, I don't see Affliction being that good in RBGs (I haven't tried so can't tell for sure) so probably Destro is still better, but in arenas people need to give Affliction a try with KJ's Cunning, the only other option in arenas is Destro wich I really don't see it working above a certain rating, while Demo has absolutely no purpose in PvP anymore...

I remember a dozens of threads, both on MMO and AJ where people were crying for Demo nerfs and Affliction buffs instead... So next time maybe Warlocks will just be happy playing what is viable instead of crying for wanting to play what they wish, I ain't saying that's why Demo got nerfed, God no, but the fact that everyone was yelling at Blizzard for Demo nerfs (warlocks included) "helped" Blizzard to take these kind of actions against Demo.
    A 30% slow you put on your self is hardly a buff in pvp. When you are moving in pvp it is to get away or to LOS,......if you're 30% slowed you're not getting away from anybody and pretty sure you're not LOS'ing anybody and if you are the talent is useless because you're LOS and you can't hit them either lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Greywardenn View Post
    A 30% slow you put on your self is hardly a buff in pvp. When you are moving in pvp it is to get away or to LOS,......if you're 30% slowed you're not getting away from anybody and pretty sure you're not LOS'ing anybody and if you are the talent is useless because you're LOS and you can't hit them either lol.
    Since like 95% of any comp you'll meet in arena has slows and you will be slowed in way or another, the 30% means nothing since they don't stack... And yes you can hit them if they LOS you, lol, MG goes through pillars just like any other channelable ability...

Affliction has lots of problems for wich it can't be that good as it was in Cata or Wotlk, but one of the main issues with Affliction PvP is that the damage balances around Haunt and MG channel, dots alone tickle... And the idea of a spell of such importance, as MG is, to be channelable is a joke, but with the ability to use it while walking, it's way better.

My point is that Affliction is better than before patch and that KJ's Cunning is the main reason for it, plus the obvious nerfs of Demo and Destro wich brought Affliction closer to them; imo even better than the other 2 specs, at least better than Demo for sure after the CW nerf...

Deleted
    Destro is still really quite good. Beckinsale really pulls it off playing lsd.

Destro is good at low levels, but at very high levels it's not very good IMO.

Affliction is probably the best spec at high level play, but it's also not very good. Unfortunately, none of the Warlock specs are good right now.

What spec is best for you probably depends mostly on what comp you're playing, but I imagine Destro is probably pretty good from 1500-2000 rating.

Also new KJC is really strong, use it with both Destro and Aff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadagast View Post

What spec is best for you probably depends mostly on what comp you're playing, but I imagine Destro is probably pretty good from 1500-2000 rating.
    I think Affliction with an Unholy DK is gonna be pretty badass, at least in theory, spreading dots on everything, the Unholy DK dots do more damage than Warlock dots, lol.

Anyway, what I would like to try is Affliction in RBGs since RBGs and arena are two totally different things... Like... will just dotting every single target and throwing Haunt every now and then since you'll have enough shards if you're gonna dot everything, will suffice? Probably not, but it's worth trying, especially with the UA glyph (wich got fixed in 5.1 for those who don't know, it was buged before); the glyph is really good in 2s when you met another healer/dps team, Idk about 3s, but in 2s the glyph is way superior to the 4 second silence since you'll do no damage anyway in those 4 seconds since all your dots will be gone, at least you're doing roughly 60k damage on each target, when a healer dispells someone else...

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends how much they buff Resilience, and how much they nerf healing; as they already said they planned to do.

The kneejerk reactions to the "nerfs" are exactly that. Thus far its nowhere near as bad as it was.

You can still do massive dmg when you pop your cds with chaos wave / touch of chaos or just touch of chaos spam if you're using Gosac. I hardly even noticed a difference during some games until someone mentioned it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadagast View Post
    Destro is good at low levels, but at very high levels it's not very good IMO.

Affliction is probably the best spec at high level play, but it's also not very good. Unfortunately, none of the Warlock specs are good right now.

Also new KJC is really strong, use it with both Destro and Aff.

yea i agree, aff is underrated i feel... with a nudge.. and maybe a buff to haunt impact dmg, could be really good in the game atm.

also - against melee its fun to spec -4s port and use it with KJC cause the speed burst after port basically gives you blazing speed+freedom for 6 secs and you're immune to the KJC casting debuff ^^. mostly a dueling / gimmick thing but it's worked pretty well against low TSGs and random feral melee cleaves.

Destro is still really strong, but it doesn't fit every comp. You need to have strong CCs to open up CB casting windows. Mages and Druids seem to be the best partners for that role, but Warriors and even DKs can cause enough pressure to give you a freecasting window. More importantly, you ruin any stealth opener with ease when you spec into MF.

I think the takeaway message for MoP PvP is that more than ever, you have to adapt to the teams you play and how you play within your team. We've been having loads of fun figuring out which talents/glyphs/strats to use against different teams. I think our worst matchup recently was against a Mage/Lock/Warrior team that just overwhelmed us with instant CCs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywardenn View Post
    This is untrue. You can los while casting with KJC. Dot + Haunt, start casting malefic grasp, happy losing for free. Move out when channel is about to be over, rince repeat. Faceroll with very little risk of being interrupted. The 30% slow is irrelevant in the sense that if you're being tunneled, you're slowed to shit anyway, atleast now you can fear them while giving them the harrasment of moving around them.