Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I guess you don't understand the concept of beating a dead horse.
    Guess you don't understand EA's tendency to not be very profitable overall, if at all.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokonorb View Post
    Guess you don't understand EA's tendency to not be very profitable overall, if at all.
    So let me repeat myself in plain English, since you seem to not understand the concept of the initial statement:

They are not going to continue pouring money into a game, promoting a game like it is Dinosaur Jesus, and saying it's the best game in the universe if it isn't bringing them REVENUE (do you like that word better?). It will be allowed to die a slow painful death. So the fact that this game is still being actively engaged by the company, talked about by the company, means that it is doing something for them.

Also, since you want to be a stock market wizard...While their company as a whole hasn't been very successful at making positive gains on net income (probably the actual term you are looking for), they have been increasing their revenue and profit or holding steady for the last 4 years. They clearly don't know how to control their expenses, but that's an entirely different concept that what we are even close to getting at. Not to mention that none of this was the point anyways.

Here's a link so that you can try and come up with some other finanical nonsense to bash one game.

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/ea/fina...come-statement
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2012-12-05 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zokonorb View Post
    Much of the same, bugs reported since beta still linger on, "bells and whistles of a modern MMO" still doesn't include dynamic weather or a day/night cycle, or races that aren't humans with a coat of paint. And the now even slower patching still break as much if not more than it fixes most of the time, and the hero engine version they have is still.... lackluster.

As mentioned, it's still the same game, with the same problems that made about 80% of the player base to leave within 6 months, only now they have one of the most restrictive and insulting F2P models there is to date that also gives them an excuse to go for a cash grab from subscribers as well. Though of course there's still the rabid biodrones that claim it's the players fault for expecting a game with the biggest budget to date to produce something relevant to current standards, which other developers have done with smaller budgets, who also produce more new content within similar if not smaller timeframes.
    Actually, a bigger reason for the mass departure was the lack of endgame content. Something that has been worked on and improved, to a degree. Not once did I ever hear of somebody unsubbing because all of the races are humanoid or the lack of a day/night cycle. Dynamic weather and day/night cycles are nice to see, but completely unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. As for their F2P model, it's obvious you really don't know shit about it. Yes, it can be somewhat restrictive. However, every single unlock from the cash shop can be bought and sold on the GTN, making it one of the best F2P models in existence. Instead of grinding out 1000 bear asses like most F2P hybrids insist on you doing before earning even the smallest cash shop currency, you can grind out your max credits and still be able to purchase an extra action bar when you finally get to the point of needing it. You can buy your Legacy unlocks off the GTN. Hell, you can buy your extra cargo bay slots for less than the cost of purchasing it in game. All without spending a single dime and with less need for grinding.

---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 11:50 AM ----------

So let me repeat myself in plain English, since you seem to not understand the concept of the initial statement:

They are not going to continue pouring money into a game, promoting a game like it is Dinosaur Jesus, and saying it's the best game in the universe if it isn't bringing them REVENUE (do you like that word better?). It will be allowed to die a slow painful death. So the fact that this game is still being actively engaged by the company, talked about by the company, means that it is doing something for them.

Also, since you want to be a stock market wizard...While their company as a whole hasn't been very successful at making positive gains on net income (probably the actual term you are looking for), they have been increasing their revenue and profit or holding steady for the last 4 years. They clearly don't know how to control their expenses, but that's an entirely different concept that what we are even close to getting at. Not to mention that none of this was the point anyways.

Here's a link so that you can try and come up with some other finanical nonsense to bash one game.

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/ea/fina...come-statement
    It doesn't help that the company was supposed to be restructured already and hasn't been.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    The PvE side of things has definitely become excellent. Its been a few weeks since new content has came out, and there has yet to be a single 16man guild able to clear all of it on Nightmare. Right now, 16man is overtuned (but in a good way) so I am loving it. It provides a great challenge for those of us looking to take on extremely hard hard tasks.
    Did they fix smuggler/ia dps so both DPS specs are viable?

However, every single unlock from the cash shop can be bought and sold on the GTN, making it one of the best F2P models in existence
    Oh my sides. You rofled my waffle. Limited action bars? Give me a break.
    Last edited by iggie; 2012-12-05 at 06:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    However, every single unlock from the cash shop can be bought and sold on the GTN, making it one of the best F2P models in existence.
    Lol, riiiight, thing is it's A) Not a viable option, and B) Most of those things are actually free in other F2P games. There's a reason SWTOR's model is the laughingstock of gaming and it's because it's horribly restrictive and is comparable to someone hitting you in an attempt to make you shop at their store.

And I like how you think grinding bear asses for money instead of grinding bear asses is better somehow.
    Last edited by mmoc1dc9bccea2; 2012-12-05 at 05:31 PM.

Deleted
    Did you expect an expansion pack and a revamp of the whole game created? That's the silliest notion I've ever heard. Population is up, activity is up, clearly their revenue is up since subscribers have dropped wads of cash on trivial things. It might not pan out in the long run, but they accomplished what they wanted to.

Additionally, they made a system that, granted may be more difficult for completely new players, but is incredibly rewarding for little to no money for returning players. At this point the only thing I would need to spend money on (just because of limited availability) is passes to do end game content. The rest can be reliably bought by my credits I already had and then I don't have to sub again. I think that's a fine model for a game.

I expected the game to have atleast macros and addons, chat bubbles so I know someone near me actually said that the character near me actually said something without paying attention to the chat, it lacks a normal space battle combat missions rail free and many other things, still no world PvP zone with PvP quests.

There was very little communication between the devs and players on forums, they still think that twitter is the best way to discuss things related to the game.
    This is still the same game, the same engine Bioware failed to master without features any other game on the market considers mandatory for MMO. They failed at the basic things a year ago, nothing changed. This is the same thing that had been going for last year, with minor content patches, nothing even close they promised before the game went live and the things they promised when we paid for playing, not to mention the lies like "A new content patch every month"...

I am not going to discuss any facts or imaginated things about population status or the income that EA had or might have had because You do not have any reliable data about it and I do not have time to waste on this particular matter.

Dead motherfucker !

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-12-05 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Madderdin View Post
    I expected the game to have atleast macros and addons
    While I agree with you on chat bubbles (though admittedly that's a small problem compared to the other area's of the game they need to work on), these two shouldn't really be "expected".

The game isn't created with macro's in mind, and with the nature of combat, macro's could entirely destroy the flow/feel of it by allowing too many abilities to be macro'd together or "automating" too many player decisions/actions. Macro's aren't a necessity, though they are super nice, so if the game isn't developed with them in mind, they're probably not going to put them in.

The same applies to addons. I love addons, but they don't make sense in every game, and not all developers want to allow for them since they can be so problematic. It's not a requirement, and they've added in the customization (and it's a pretty good customization system too) that have alleviated the UI issues some people have.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    they've added in the customization (and it's a pretty good customization system too) that have alleviated the UI issues some people have.
    Now if only they could go a little further to Rift level customization. That proc indicator would be perfect.
    Love that crap on my scythe mage.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I expected the game to have atleast macros and addons, chat bubbles so I know someone near me actually said that the character near me actually said something without paying attention to the chat,
    These are trivial extras, not genre staples. Chat bubbles? Seriously?

it lacks a normal space battle combat missions rail free and many other things, still no world PvP zone with PvP quests.
    A normal space battle combat missions rail free. <-- This is what you said.

You're kidding me right? At what point did that become a requirement for success in this game? That was never promised to players prior to launch. NOT ONCE. If you had it in your head that we'd have freeform space combat, than that's on you. YOU set the expectation too high. YOU fabricated this criteria and YOU based YOUR concept of success on it. YOU did that. That failure is yours.

There is a PvP zone in the game, still. It has been there since launch day. It had quests too, and was fun for a little while until it got exploited and shut down. This is the closest you've come to pointing out a failure in SWTOR, and you still managed to screw it up.

There was very little communication between the devs and players on forums, they still think that twitter is the best way to discuss things related to the game.
    If I was a developer I wouldn't want to wade through this game's official forums either. I personally hate Twitter and Facebook, but they are at least methods of communication and they're getting used regularly. Maybe time to change up your expectations again?

This is still the same game, the same engine Bioware failed to master without features any other game on the market considers mandatory for MMO.
    Again, every genre-staple feature is in the game. Macro scripting and deep UI customization are nice, but they are not required. The engine is fine and is capable of rendering some absolutely stunning scenes. I'm sorry you didn't get the day/night cycles and weather you were looking for, but their absence should not negatively impact your experience.

Unless you're being totally unreasonable.

They failed at the basic things a year ago, nothing changed.
    A lot has changed. Refer to patch notes and cure your ignorance.

This is the same thing that had been going for last year, with minor content patches, nothing even close they promised before the game went live and the things they promised when we paid for playing, not to mention the lies like "A new content patch every month"...
    Source please.

I am not going to discuss any facts or imaginated things about population status or the income that EA had or might have had because You do not have any reliable data about it and I do not have time to waste on this particular matter.
    Yet you still managed to write this post about it.

Imaginated.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Deleted
    Went back and tried f2p option, well it lags more - and I am more restricted in what I can do as f2p effects my levelling game play. PVE to my experience is poor, no interest in pvp. None of my issues of the game have been resolved more have been added. It shipped incomplete - still feels incomplete.

Yeah I could unlock stuff, but wait f2p is there to encourage me to get back in the game is it not? all this encouraged was uninstalling the game and vowing never to touch an MMO with an EA involvement again

Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    . If you had it in your head that we'd have freeform space combat, than that's on you. YOU set the expectation too high. YOU fabricated this criteria and YOU based YOUR concept of success on it. YOU did that. That failure is yours.
    To be fair, free flight space combat has been around since 1987 and Star Wars took the genre to a whole new level in 1993.
    Star wars space combat means, to most people, cock pit perspective free flight.

Its not that our expectations of space combat were too "high" so much as BiowarEA set their space combat goals to pre 1987 levels.
    That IS their fault.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Were those things in KoToR? How about KoToR 2?
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Those were star wars MMOs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    Did you even play it?
    You get 2 out of 10 races for your class if you play for free, people who pay it level/get currency faster and have less wait time in between their chat messages.
    This is only the tip of the iceberg, there's so much that they did wrong.
    This is what people should look to when asking how NOT to make a game (of any genre).
    I have to agree, i was majorly disappointed in the f2p restrictions. I reinstalled, logged in for 2 days and uninstalled.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is still the same game, the same engine Bioware failed to master without features any other game on the market considers mandatory for MMO. They failed at the basic things a year ago, nothing changed. This is the same thing that had been going for last year, with minor content patches, nothing even close they promised before the game went live and the things they promised when we paid for playing, not to mention the lies like "A new content patch every month"...
    So let's get a little disinformation correct shall we?

The game changed a lot in the year it was out. Granted, most of those changes should have been at launch, the point is they were made. Group finders were implemented and honed, QoL features were implemented, new content was added (though slowly sure) and overall the game is in a much better state than when it launched. So that's one point of contention that is terribly wrong.

Addtionally...where is this promise to give content every month? Because the only time I've heard them do something remotely close to that is stating 6-8 weeks on content. The jury is still out on that one.

Ok, how about actually playing the game? Which you must not do if you think there is no data. Servers are more full, as in literally more people on them, than there were when they merged down. Each planet and the fleet has more people playing. Also, using their own data presented by an analyst you can see that more people were in daily areas and doing Ops after TFB and then F2P launched. I'm sure there's an excuse to say he's paid to just make up numbers and pretty graphs though.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Those were star wars MMOs?
    No, stay with me.

What about Dark Forces? Jedi Academy? Masters of Teras Kasi? That crazy awesome Pod Racer game on N64?

My point is, not every Star Wars game has to feature freeform space combat. Not even every Star Wars MMO has to have it. So just assuming it will be there is kind of a rather dumb thing to do, as a gamer and Star Wars fan. And then when the developer reveals its rail shooter minigame during beta, you really should reach the conclusion that you're probably not getting the space stuff you wanted right away... or at all.

Just saying... If you have expectations for the game they should be realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    No, stay with me.

What about Dark Forces? Jedi Academy? Masters of Teras Kasi? That crazy awesome Pod Racer game on N64?

My point is, not every Star Wars game has to feature freeform space combat. Not even every Star Wars MMO has to have it. So just assuming it will be there is kind of a rather dumb thing to do, as a gamer and Star Wars fan. And then when the developer reveals its rail shooter minigame during beta, you really should reach the conclusion that you're probably not getting the space stuff you wanted right away... or at all.

Just saying... If you have expectations for the game they should be realistic.
    I really feel its necessary to point out EXACTLY what I said.

To be fair, free flight space combat has been around since 1987 and Star Wars took the genre to a whole new level in 1993.
    Star wars space combat means, to most people, cock pit perspective free flight.
    I did not say that every star wars game has to have freeform space combat. Just that when Star wars has had space combat, it has been free flight. Thus leading people to expect it to be free flight.

Its like saying "You shouldn't expect a golf game to have a pitching wedge because they aren't in football. Not all sports games have pitching wedges."

Edit: Essentially, if you choose to make a star wars game and tout its "space combat" at E3. You should anticipate it being held up against the other six or so star wars games that have space combat. (actually, way more than 6. Forgot about the rouge squadron series and stuff.)
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-12-05 at 07:38 PM.

But I don't think they ever said it would be free-form at any point, did they? I think they've always been pretty clear (once they officially announced it) that it would be an on-the-rails (tube lol) shooter. As with everything, they've talked about their grand plans for expanding it and making it more awesome, but I don't think it's reasonable to have expected it to be freeform by nature.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    But I don't think they ever said it would be free-form at any point, did they? I think they've always been pretty clear (once they officially announced it) that it would be an on-the-rails (tube lol) shooter. As with everything, they've talked about their grand plans for expanding it and making it more awesome, but I don't think it's reasonable to have expected it to be freeform by nature.
    And the community has been pretty clear from the start how they feel about the current space combat system. About 93% opposed it early on. Now I think just about everyone who was hoping for a JTL expansion announcement has quit/unsubbed.