Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

33% Nerf to Chaos Wave Damage

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Warlock
    • Demonology
      • The damage and Demonic Fury cost of Chaos Wave have been reduced by 33%. The new values will not be reflected in the tooltip until a client patch.

About time?

A change that doesn't affect PvE and helps balance PvP. My only question is: Why did it take so long?

Changes like this should've been shifted with MoP release or hell, even changed while on beta. Chaos Bolt, 5 stacked TfB HS, Frost Bomb, Stampede and Chaos Wave were all hitting too hard on beta and Blizzard knew this. Stampede, HS and Chaos Wave have all been toned down but weeks into an already in progress season and they have attempted to rework Frost but ended up changing nothing at all.
    Last edited by Snuggli; 2012-12-04 at 03:43 PM.

Now, all 3 specs of locks are shit

I think it's stupid, now locks are gonna get booted off their team. IF you get hit by fully prepare chaos wave, either you suck and thats that. or the other team is better then you, brought you in the open, and poped everything. Last time I checked, thats how arena was played.

Quote Originally Posted by Kripthmaul View Post
    I think it's stupid, now locks are gonna get booted off their team. IF you get hit by fully prepare chaos wave, either you suck and thats that. or the other team is better then you, brought you in the open, and poped everything. Last time I checked, thats how arena was played.
    I don't think that will be the case. The problem was Chaos Wave was allowing Warlocks to kill people without any CC on the healer or any help from their partners. Maybe now Demo will line up cooldowns with their partners. (Which will still result in a global - considering most of them run with either a Warrior or Mage)

I don't think that will be the case. The problem was Chaos Wave was allowing Warlocks to kill people without any CC on the healer or any help from their partners.
    Even if Demolock burst was ridiculous, that never ever happened

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kyraka View Post
    Now, all 3 specs of locks are shit

Correct!

What are we supposed to do now? Damage is piss poor for 2 minutes, then is good (not great) for 20 seconds, then is in the dirt again. Wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by iWolfBanei View Post
    Warlock
    • Demonology
      • The damage and Demonic Fury cost of Chaos Wave have been reduced by 33%. The new values will not be reflected in the tooltip until a client patch.
    About time?

A change that doesn't affect PvE and helps balance PvP. My only question is: Why did it take so long?

Changes like this should've been shifted with MoP release or hell, even changed while on beta. Chaos Bolt, 5 stacked TfB HS, Frost Bomb, Stampede and Chaos Wave were all hitting too hard on beta and Blizzard knew this. Stampede, HS and Chaos Wave have all been toned down but weeks into an already in progress season and they have attempted to rework Frost but ended up changing nothing at all.
    When players come up with simple solutions like "reduce the damage of an ability that globals people under the right circumstances" it makes GC and co look like retarded monkeys who can't balance the game for shit. Usually they'll nerf something else that's tangentially related which throws a wrench into the works (i.e. Avatar changes) instead of just looking into the actual problem to save face.

Since they had just "fixed" Demon Soul they couldn't fuck with it or else look even stupider so in this case fixing the actual problem made them look the least stupid. It just took them a lot of time to reconcile that they're actually going to appease those whiny fucking players with some balance for once.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a DK, I can't tell you how happy I am about this change. I'm virtually in all full dreadful, and I was sitting getting Chaos Waved anywhere between 150k to 200k. It's a nightmare, and as slow as it moves, it can still be really tough to avoid.

Other than this, I don't believe locks will need anymore nerfs.

Deleted
    Good, Blizzard is going the right way. Now go after the mages and warriors.

Deleted
    Better late than never, I guess. First season's always broken as fuck, I wasn't really expecting the 1 shot spells to be fixed within normal time because nothing ever is, realistically - I'm actually pretty happy, 1 more class to go and PvP should actually be good again and I am very much looking forward to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kripthmaul View Post
    So I guess the last time you checked was this expansion. Arena never relied so much on retarded damage cooldowns as it does (did) now, "bringing" someone to the open is not skillful at all and neither is popping a CD that has a decent chance of critting for like 250k. Yes high rated arena has always been played by capitalizing on the opponents' mistakes and popping offensives to force defensives in order to eventually score a kill but that's light years different from doing nothing but trying to force trinkets until you have fury then popping demon soul after fearing someone to the open, stunning them and chaos waving twice for ridiculous amounts. That's all there was to demo game play, lame around CCing applying your aura while your partner(s) hopefully do enough damage to force defensive CDs out of the other team and then if/when they do you pop your shit and kill them in 3 seconds. That's never how the arena meta-game should be and no class has ever relied on that kind of game play before MoP (except maybe ret but the design for that has been broken since like TBC).

I honestly have no idea how anyone can even think this wasn't a good change. Any 1 shot-esque spells should've been obliterated during beta if anything, not brought onto live which then, apparently, led 90% of warlocks to think hitting 150k and critting 250 is perfectly fine since "HEY!!! TFB HS crit 300k too!!!!" or "hey! They haven't nerfed frost bomb yet and it also crits for 100k!". It wasn't fine. It's a stupid mechanic. Things like this need to be changed even if it means the class at hand then has no viable specs to play. Hopefully they buff affliction a bit soon in order to allow it to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Telila View Post
    What are we supposed to do now? Damage is piss poor for 2 minutes, then is good (not great) for 20 seconds, then is in the dirt again. Wonderful!
    Welcome to the world of ret paladins for the last 6 years.

No but really, just play affliction. It's not horrible, and they'll have to buff it soon, I've seen rank 1 warlocks that refused to play demo because it was filthy stream it at decent ratings (2300+) and it still works to a certain extent. You just won't be 1 shotting shit.
    Last edited by mmoc9b719c3609; 2012-12-04 at 04:01 PM.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now I'd like to see warrior damage brought down SLIGHTLY, and I'll stop whining about PvP. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrida View Post
    Now I'd like to see warrior damage brought down SLIGHTLY, and I'll stop whining about PvP. :P
    Tiny nerf to warrior burst plus a nerf to mage burst and I might even shut up about rogue mobility....
    Stormscale Horde EU | http://lastrogue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Telila View Post
    Correct!

You can reroll

Quote Originally Posted by vpywow View Post
    You can reroll
    Do what us other underpowered classes do - patiently wait for Blizz to fix things (whilst bitching on any forum you have an account on). Hopefully affli will be buffed.
    Stormscale Horde EU | http://lastrogue.com

Quote Originally Posted by naturetauren View Post
    Good, Blizzard is going the right way. Now go after the mages and warriors.
    Rogue burst is also starting to creep up, spriests need some (more) nerfbat love as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrida View Post
    As a DK, I can't tell you how happy I am about this change. I'm virtually in all full dreadful, and I was sitting getting Chaos Waved anywhere between 150k to 200k. It's a nightmare, and as slow as it moves, it can still be really tough to avoid.

Other than this, I don't believe locks will need anymore nerfs.
    It would be incredibly difficult to find something but I am sure if they really work on it Blizzard could come up with something to nerf yet.

Warlocks should look at this as a good thing though because it adds a lot of choice All specs are equally broken and unviable now so just pick the one you feel the least uncomfortable with.

now they need to nerf comp spriest,mage in 3s

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangresnake View Post
    Even if Demolock burst was ridiculous, that never ever happened
    Chaos Wave Damage - I beg to differ.

Good change. Now move to other classes, then fix healing and we might get some balance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warlock
    • Demonology

About time?

So, you really believe this doesn't affect pve?
    Remind me how chaoswave was the go-to spell in pve when you needed big (aoe) burst, now it's just plain useless.

Anyway, the nerf wasn't even done because of arena, but because of RBG where teams stacked demo warlocks...

EDIT:
    @guy above me: He was out of position, all stars aligned were the warlock had everything you can imagine up at the same time and critted twice against someone without cooldowns. That's not broken, that's winning the lottery.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2012-12-04 at 07:09 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    EDIT:
    @guy above me: He was out of position, all stars aligned were the warlock had everything you can imagine up at the same time and critted twice against someone without cooldowns. That's not broken, that's winning the lottery.
    So what you're suggesting is the team fighting a destro lock should stand at a pillar the whole game and do nothing but LoS there? They'll just get insta feared out eventually, you can't always be in position, you don't win games by doing that. It's stupid.

Regarding winning the lottery, I guess you were fine with 300k HS crits with 5 stack TFB as well then? And PoM pyros in vanilla? Doesn't matter how often it happens, it should never under any circumstance ever happen.