Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Arcane guide says the DPS still is better with stacking mastery, over haste...is it wrong? Also what haste breakpoint should i be going for?

Quote Originally Posted by voltaa View Post
    Blindly following the best in the world doesn't always yield the expected results, the reason these guys have top parses is because 1) they are amazing players no doubt and 2) they are geared to the tits, you have to adjust what you do to your own specific gear and situation, for me personally I am not reaching 15 ticks of nether tempest without frost armor and I know for a fact that the extra tick is a dps boost. Do what fits YOUR playstyle/gear, not what guys in 500+ ilvl are doing.
    I got a top 10 ranking on WoL for Garalon 10n so I'm happy with using mage armor for now =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggimannd View Post
    I got a top 10 ranking on WoL for Garalon 10n so I'm happy with using mage armor for now =)
    Mage Armor and Mastery do better when there are multiple targets.

Is the choice of bomb hugely important? For example, I was having moderate success with Frost Bomb last night in my testing. I camped a dummy for 12+ minutes each time and found no conclusive difference between NT and FB, though with buffs one might begin to emerge.

I did, however, like that FB has a cast time. It allows me to replace Scorch with FB in the sequence on occasion, leading to fewer scorch casts overall. I also liked the "feel" of that play style as well, using all three schools as part of my overall damage, but that's just a personal preference of mine, haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by neubs986 View Post
    Is the choice of bomb hugely important? For example, I was having moderate success with Frost Bomb last night in my testing. I camped a dummy for 12+ minutes each time and found no conclusive difference between NT and FB, though with buffs one might begin to emerge.

I did, however, like that FB has a cast time. It allows me to replace Scorch with FB in the sequence on occasion, leading to fewer scorch casts overall. I also liked the "feel" of that play style as well, using all three schools as part of my overall damage, but that's just a personal preference of mine, haha.
    It depends on your haste and trinkets. With the right haste plateaus, NT is better damage. With Light of the Cosmos, FBomb is terrible for procs.

Quote Originally Posted by voltaa View Post
    Blindly following the best in the world doesn't always yield the expected results, the reason these guys have top parses is because 1) they are amazing players no doubt and 2) they are geared to the tits, you have to adjust what you do to your own specific gear and situation, for me personally I am not reaching 15 ticks of nether tempest without frost armor and I know for a fact that the extra tick is a dps boost. Do what fits YOUR playstyle/gear, not what guys in 500+ ilvl are doing.
    Saying im following top parse mages blindly is a vague accusation. I look to top mages as more of a reference and not a bible.

Quote Originally Posted by TheoriesLA View Post
    Saying im following top parse mages blindly is a vague accusation. I look to top mages as more of a reference and not a bible.
    I'm not necessarily saying that you are doing this, but all to often I see people saying well x mage does this, so I'm going to do it to, without investigating the theory behind why they do it and what benefits it will actually bring

Deleted
    Thing is... how much mana regen do we want with this rotation?

Deleted
    I dont think you should worry about mana regen.

How much you need to scorch depend on RNG (AM procs) and if you choosed Haste over Mastery or not.

Quote Originally Posted by vynka View Post
    Thing is... how much mana regen do we want with this rotation?
    As much as you can, before capping arcane blast cast time.. But that said its a bit rng, you can make out with a lot less aswell and depending on next patches and their itemization.. would think even 6 stack camping mages will focus more on mastery after decent ammount of haste..

Noticed a big difference on Sha when I was able to keep my stacks being sent to the platform. If you can get your stacks refreshed right as you are sent and you have glyphed Arcane Explosion when you land on the platform take two steps in and cast your AE and you get to keep your stacks and will help burst him down. It really sucks having to build 6 stacks again while at the same time grabbing orbs. When I did miss this trick it took longer to down the Panda

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    As much as you can, before capping arcane blast cast time.. But that said its a bit rng, you can make out with a lot less aswell and depending on next patches and their itemization.. would think even 6 stack camping mages will focus more on mastery after decent ammount of haste..
    That's the point, how many haste do we want; Blatty is full Mastery and I think he's weaving, right?

Deleted
    I dont think we should see how overgearred mage do and think it'll be the optimal way for 485/490 ilvl geared guy.

Blatty is now stacking mast, but he already has 5K haste without focusing it. On the other way, I have 7K5 haste and i'm focusing for it.
    What may be the optimal way for a 510ilvl char (because of lots of stat) may not be the optimal way for a 485ilvl lambda char.

Either way, I think the only thing that should matter is having enough haste for the extra NT tick if you're focusing mastery. You shouldnt think about haste in a mana regen way.

Quote Originally Posted by vynka View Post
    That's the point, how many haste do we want; Blatty is full Mastery and I think he's weaving, right?
    Ye but Blatty is troll, and berserking with hero atm, you need like 9400(6k with frost armor) haste rating to hard cap, so if he also has terror trinket, then he would cap by a lot(3325 rating over cap) during hero + berserker+ essence of terror, so ye he doesnt really have a choice on that matter